Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griswold is coming out of retirement...after 38 years....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by griswold View Post

1. Does anyone else currently play in a Roy Hobbs-type league?
    2. What kind of advice does anyone have regarding training (both work-out and hitting-wise)?
    3. My biggest fear is real pitching....I can hit in batting cages....so what videos, etc should I watch regarding learning about the rotation of pitches, etc. to help me understand the theory and basics of hitting live pitching?

4. Anything you can think of?

Thanks in advance!

Gris
    Exciting stuff, Bob. I'm excited for you. Not that I have any time with an (almost) 2 year old and my work schedule keeping me busy, but I'd love to put on the tools of ignorance again and get behind the plate.

My advice (mainly regarding subject #3) - you HAVE to see some live pitching first. Hitting in a cage is one thing, but you need to see the ball coming out of a live arm before you'll have any success. Watching vidoes and doing your homework that way won't hurt, but you need to see live pitching first, or you'll look foolish your first few times up. Get a buddy to throw you some BP, doesn't need to even be at any kind of velocity, but just seeing a ball coming out of a hand will help tremendously. Starting out by hitting off a tee, then graduating to a machine, then live pitching would be ideal. Don't do too much, just throw the bat head at the ball. Concentrate on just seeing the ball before you move on to stuff like stance, stride, reading the seems, etc.

Conditionng? Bah, it's baseball, as long as you can run 90 feet at a time, you're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      this is my second year of playing baseball in my silly league and my first year of doing it as a 40-year-old. the one piece of advice I can offer you, especially if you're playing left field: by the time your shoulder hurts from throwing the ball, you've already gone way past how much work you should have done. As soon as you start feeling twinges or dead arm, rest it for a little while. work on your hitting or run or something. but if you get to the point where you just can't throw any more, your arm is going to be useless for a couple days.
      Good advice...I don't have that strong of an arm anyways...but I'll make sure to shut it down at early twinges. Thanks, mjl

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
        Exciting stuff, Bob. I'm excited for you. Not that I have any time with an (almost) 2 year old and my work schedule keeping me busy, but I'd love to put on the tools of ignorance again and get behind the plate.

My advice (mainly regarding subject #3) - you HAVE to see some live pitching first. Hitting in a cage is one thing, but you need to see the ball coming out of a live arm before you'll have any success. Watching vidoes and doing your homework that way won't hurt, but you need to see live pitching first, or you'll look foolish your first few times up. Get a buddy to throw you some BP, doesn't need to even be at any kind of velocity, but just seeing a ball coming out of a hand will help tremendously. Starting out by hitting off a tee, then graduating to a machine, then live pitching would be ideal. Don't do too much, just throw the bat head at the ball. Concentrate on just seeing the ball before you move on to stuff like stance, stride, reading the seems, etc.

Conditionng? Bah, it's baseball, as long as you can run 90 feet at a time, you're fine.
        Yeah, buckeye1 (Frank) and I did that some last night. Hit off the tee, then used the machine and then he soft tossed baseballs at me from like 20 feet.

Wed night is our first practice with the team. I'm hoping someone can pitch to me there.

Thanks for the support, buddy!

I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Comment

what is this league's position on ped's?
          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Call your shot ---------- and then bunt!
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Wink at the pitcher and then watch out for "in your ear."
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                Does Aspercream count as a PED?

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                  Wink at the pitcher and then watch out for "in your ear."
                  Lol....not that there is anything wrong with putting one in your ear?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                    I'd bet they consider beer a PED.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                      Good advice! I played old-man softball until 2 years ago.

The "be confident enough to let up when appropriate" will be my problem....I've always played sports like I believe that I'm still 19 but my body reminds me that I'm 49...

That will be a problem. lol
                      I'm the same way, Gris. I play co-ed volleyball like I'm 19 until I feel like I'm 59. And then I realize I'm 39 and I hang my head in shame realizing how out of shape I am.
                      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        I wish I had the arm to throw a baseball further than 15 feet these days. 2 shoulder surgeries took everything out of it
                        I wish I hadn't thrown so many curveballs as a kid that I didn't need TJ surgery in both elbows.
                        I wish I hadn't practiced throwing to second from my knees as a catcher so that my knees would allow me to get up when I squat down.
                        I also wish I hadn't had to type so much as an adult that I didn't need carpel tunnel surgery on both arms.

Well, at least my mind is intact...
                        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                          Well, at least my mind is intact...

Comment

Baseball, a game meant to be played by children and professional athletes.

Enjoy!
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              Baseball, a game meant to be played by children and professional athletes.

Enjoy!
                              Children...yep, that's what my wife said....

Comment

Working...
                              X