Conan on Hot Ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan on Hot Ones

If you have not seen it yet, you are in for an experience. One of the best epispdes ever. Not just of Hot Ones, but of any interview show in the history of recording.

Here it is:

Comment

I like that you didn't increase expectations at all and just made a very even-handed assessment of the interview.

Of course, now I have to go and watch it...

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        I like that you didn't increase expectations at all and just made a very even-handed assessment of the interview.

Of course, now I have to go and watch it...
        I am an even handed guy who never oversells things, but it is impossible to oversell it's glory. Conan's commitment to the bit is extraordinary. It was an avant-garde commentary on the dulled gaze of audiences who have seen too much, and a wake up call to those poor, diminished souls. I think it would be a fitting conclusion to the whole concept of the show, nay, of entertainment in general. We're done, it's over! Reruns from now on, just of this episode! Once you witness it, you will be forever changed. You know the plot of Bird Box? That is what this episode will do to our society. And such a rapturous response is warranted, because this is not just the culmination of all entertainment, but of humanity itself. We evolved for this moment. Now accomplished, we can drift off into wakeless slumber, like so many spent salmon when spawning is done.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-12-2024, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

I am an even handed guy who never oversells things, but it is impossible to oversell it's glory. Conan's commitment to the bit is extraordinary. It was an avant-garde commentary on the dulled gaze of audiences who have seen too much, and a wake up call to those poor, diminished souls. I think it would be a fitting conclusion to the whole concept of the show, nay, of entertainment in general. We're done, it's over! Reruns from now on, just of this episode! Once you witness it, you will be forever changed. You know the plot of Bird Box? That is what this episode will do to our society. And such a rapturous response is warranted, because this is not just the culmination of all entertainment, but of humanity itself. We evolved for this moment. Now accomplished, we can drift off into wakeless slumber, like so many spent salmon when spawning is done.
          That just doesn't sound very interesting
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

If you have not seen it yet, you are in for an experience. One of the best epispdes ever. Not just of Hot Ones, but of any interview show in the history of recording.
            Never heard of Hot ones before. It was a fun watch
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

You scared me for a second. I thought you were posting this one.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Never heard of Hot ones before. It was a fun watch
                I thought it didn't sound interesting!

The context here is important. The last 4 or 5 of those sauces are insanely hot. Da Bomb, which he drank straight from the bottle has made grown athletes and hardcore gangster rappers walk away in fright and disgust, tears streaming from their faces. No one has done that, and no one should. People describe it as being what battery acid must taste like. The amount of misery I've seen people go through just taking a tiny bite of a wing with that stuff on it makes me think Conan was hospitalized after that episode. It truly displays the mental state needed to do what he does. Neil Brennan's newest special touches on this--many of the best at anything are crazy.

Speaking of crazy, there are other good episodes worth checking out. The premise is a gimmick, but the researchers do good worth to go deep and get to stuff famous people don't usually talk about and the pain involved makes for some candidness and funny moments. As a contrast, watch DJ Khalid's. He didn't make it past the second wing, and that was when all the sauces were way milder.
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-13-2024, 04:01 PM.

Comment

You just had to go there, didn't you madducks?

Comment

I thought it didn't sound interesting!

The context here is important. The last 4 or 5 of those sauces are insanely hot. Da Bomb, which he drank straight from the bottle has made grown athletes and hardcore gangster rappers walk away in fright and disgust, tears streaming from their faces. No one has done that, and no one should. People describe it as being what battery acid must taste like. The amount of misery I've seen people go through just taking a tiny bite of a wing with that stuff on it makes me think Conan was hospitalized after that episode. It truly displays the mental state needed to do what he does. Neil Brennan's newest special touches on this--many of the best at anything are crazy.

Speaking of crazy, there are other good episodes worth checking out. The premise is a gimmick, but the researchers do good worth to go deep and get to stuff famous people don't usually talk about and the pain involved makes for some candidness and funny moments. As a contrast, watch DJ Khalid's. He didn't make it past the second wing, and that was when all the sauces were way milder.
                    Ha, I was just teasing about it not sounding interesting. I watched it on the flight home from Toronto, and was perfect for that. Slow, but somewhat interesting start, building up to the last several wings and Conan's antics. I did laugh out loud at a couple points. I also enjoyed hearing his perspective and seeing his commitment to his craft. I haven't seen a lot of Conan recently, or really ever, but it gave me an appreciation for his work and dedication.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Ha, I was just teasing about it not sounding interesting. I watched it on the flight home from Toronto, and was perfect for that. Slow, but somewhat interesting start, building up to the last several wings and Conan's antics. I did laugh out loud at a couple points. I also enjoyed hearing his perspective and seeing his commitment to his craft. I haven't seen a lot of Conan recently, or really ever, but it gave me an appreciation for his work and dedication.
                      it also sent me on a tangent of looking at the hottest hot sauces. It's kind of a crazy, but interesting niche industry.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah, I can't say I've been a hardcore fan, but I've always enjoyed his work. I've just seen enough of this show to realize just how much pain he was in while doing this. He had absolutely no reason to put himself through that except for showmanship. I think what he did would have been too extreme for nearly every contestant in Fear Factor's history. I can't imagine many people willingly subjecting themselves to that, or even being able to do it for a good bit of money, but he did it for the LOLs. I don't know the number it would take for me to consume what he consumed, but I think it would be in the 5 figures and I don't know for sure I'd be able to stick with it.

I knew you were teasing...it was so good, I couldn't think of a comeback (was gonna post, I must have undersold it, but it seemed better to let you have the mic drop), so just gave your comment a "like."

Comment

it also sent me on a tangent of looking at the hottest hot sauces. It's kind of a crazy, but interesting niche industry.
                          It is crazy....we have a biological response to this stuff that makes us think our mouth is on fire. It was supposed to keep us away, but we like the feeling knowing it doesn't actually harm us, or at least some do and chase it for the endorphins rush.

Comment

I've always liked this one.

Conan Writes Chicago Blues Songs With School Kids

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Are we certain the sauces weren't fake for this one? It's one thing to endure misery for a bit, but physiologically he didn't seem that fazed either. Entertaining either way.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X