Eclipse 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse 2024

Just curious if anyone else is in the path of totality?
    Actually I just started this thread so that I could use that phrase.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    Just curious if anyone else is in the path of totality?
    Actually I just started this thread so that I could use that phrase.
    Yesterday I bought tickets to Toronto. Although it sounds like I need to drive a bit out of Toronto to see a total eclipse
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I had planned to go to Texas to see it there. Texas because I can make a Rangers baseball game part of the trip. They host the Astros April 5-8 and the eclipse is on the 8th. Their new stadium is the only one I havent seen a game in so that would complete my MLB stadiums checklist once again. I dont know if I'll make it tho. I went to the one in 2017 (drove from Maryland to Tennessee), so I've seen one before. I already have the "eclipse glasses" ahead of time this time. But I wont know what the weather will be like until right before it happens. You want to make sure it wont be cloudy. If it's cloudy there, maybe I can see it closer to where I live, like Ohio or northeastern Pennsylvania. I tried to take pictures of it last time but it doesnt work unless you have special equipment so that's something I plan to look into. FYI, you really do need the glasses because even if there's just a sliver of the Sun still visible, it's still too bright to look at w your naked eyes.

Comment

I'm about 80 miles south of totality. I'm planning to head to Syracuse that afternoon, if the weather looks good. Hoping since Syracuse is on the edge of totality, traffic won't be too bad and I can find a spot to view it from without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Yesterday I bought tickets to Toronto. Although it sounds like I need to drive a bit out of Toronto to see a total eclipse
          NIce!

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I'm about 80 miles south of totality.
            People say this about me all the time
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

My oldest kid goes to school right along the edge of the path of totality. They took eclipse glasses with them when they went back to school from spring break. I live about 100 miles from the other edge of totality, but I'm going to be in Atlanta on that date, so it doesn't really matter for me.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

People say this about me all the time
                Is that the same as being halfway gone ?
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

Is that the same as being halfway gone ?
                  more like being halfway in a fumarole
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Awesome. I'm about 3 hours east of the city now. Niagara is the "IT" spot, they're expecting something like a million visitors that weekend.
                    If you decide to head east let me know.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Awesome. I'm about 3 hours east of the city now. Niagara is the "IT" spot, they're expecting something like a million visitors that weekend.
                      If you decide to head east let me know.
                      Will do, thanks. Still scrambling with plans, any recommendations that I won't get from Google ? edit:recs for Toronto in general
                      Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-27-2024, 12:34 PM.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Will do, thanks. Still scrambling with plans, any recommendations that I won't get from Google ? edit:recs for Toronto in general
                        Tons. First off tho, what are your plans for eclipse day? Travel from Toronto to Niagara can be slow at the best of times, they're saying it could be horrendous on Monday with tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people driving what's normally a 90 minute drive. And there really isn't an alternate route. Hopefully you have a place to stay there so you can a couple of days early. I'm pretty sure that lots of people will be stuck in stop & go traffic for many hours (and may have to watch the eclipse from the side of the highway).

For Toronto itself, a quick overview: touristy things worth doing: Cn Tower, Aquarium, Saturday morning St. Lawrence Market if you're a foodie, AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario), ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).
                        Touristy things I'd do in summer but maybe not in April: City Hall/Nathan Phillips Square, Harbourfront
                        Touristy things I'd pass: Science Centre, Metro Toronto Zoo.
                        Recommended: Eat; Toronto has a crazy wide diverse range of restaurants. It has a big Chinatown, a Koreatown, both with loads of great places to eat. Surprisingly great BBQ (Barque is my fav & stands up to most places in the southern US); Ethiopian, Indian (north & south), Thai,and on & on.
                        Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Comment

Tons. First off tho, what are your plans for eclipse day? Travel from Toronto to Niagara can be slow at the best of times, they're saying it could be horrendous on Monday with tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people driving what's normally a 90 minute drive. And there really isn't an alternate route. Hopefully you have a place to stay there so you can a couple of days early. I'm pretty sure that lots of people will be stuck in stop & go traffic for many hours (and may have to watch the eclipse from the side of the highway).

For Toronto itself, a quick overview: touristy things worth doing: Cn Tower, Aquarium, Saturday morning St. Lawrence Market if you're a foodie, AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario), ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).
                          Touristy things I'd do in summer but maybe not in April: City Hall/Nathan Phillips Square, Harbourfront
                          Touristy things I'd pass: Science Centre, Metro Toronto Zoo.
                          Recommended: Eat; Toronto has a crazy wide diverse range of restaurants. It has a big Chinatown, a Koreatown, both with loads of great places to eat. Surprisingly great BBQ (Barque is my fav & stands up to most places in the southern US); Ethiopian, Indian (north & south), Thai,and on & on.
                          Let me know if you have any specific questions.
                          Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was thinking traffic might make the trip to Niagara a bad idea on the day of the eclipse. I saw the 2017 eclipse south of Portland and I know lots of people who were stuck in traffic for hours...so I'll probably try to watch from somewhere like Hamilton. thanks for the ideas, I might send you some questions later if I have anything specific.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I've been watching the extended weather forecasts. It looks like overcast for Texas for the 8th so my trip there appears to be off. The northeast is looking moderately good rt now, all the way from Cleveland up to northern Vermont. Still is supposed to be partly cloudy all thru this area so still problematic. My idea rt now is to head for the central part of this region, which would be around Rochester. Then depending on how the weather develops, I could go in either direction depending on what weather looks the most promising. Maybe Watertown or Plattsburg NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              I'm about 80 miles south of totality. I'm planning to head to Syracuse that afternoon, if the weather looks good. Hoping since Syracuse is on the edge of totality, traffic won't be too bad and I can find a spot to view it from without issue.
                              If you're 80 miles south of totality, why did FS buy tickets to Toronto if he's always in Binghamton anyway? I'm confused.

Comment

Working...
                              X