Any Sports Cards Collectors Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The history of Score baseball cards:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

1975 SSPC Set - The "Illegal" Card Set History from Sports Stars Publishing Company (SSPC) and TCMA:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The History of Baseball Cards - From 1860 to Today:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's something bizarre and disturbing that I just found out about a certain basketball card.

Erik and Lyle Menendez are experiencing newfound fame behind bars thanks to the popular Netflix series about their gruesome murders of their parents in 1989.​ And fans (WTF?) are mailing them the 1990-91 NBA Hoops Mark Jackson card for them to autograph. The brothers are on the card, photographed while sitting in the Knicks crowd, after the murders and before their arrests.​

Last edited by madducks; 10-04-2024, 08:52 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, that's a well known card. Very bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              Yeah, that's a well known card. Very bizarre.
              I never knew about it before. Probably, because I don't follow basketball or basketball cards.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, I'm a year into putting together the 1956 set, and I am down to needing four cards:

Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson and Sandy Koufax.

I have not been to concerned about the condition of the cards for the most part, and the price point for higher graded cards is out of my price range. The dealers in the area that specialize in vintage are getting to know me pretty well. I picked up a PSA 1 Mickey Mantle this weekend. It presents really well. Great color, corners are bad. There are some minor creases and some printing bleed into the white frame.

There's a dealer who has a raw Jackie, asking $800 for it. It is in rough shape, and that is one card I'm willing to spend for something decent.

After completing this set, I'm looking at the 1960 Topps set. Love the color and design with the bog box letters.
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                  Well, I'm a year into putting together the 1956 set, and I am down to needing four cards:

Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson and Sandy Koufax.

I have not been to concerned about the condition of the cards for the most part, and the price point for higher graded cards is out of my price range. The dealers in the area that specialize in vintage are getting to know me pretty well. I picked up a PSA 1 Mickey Mantle this weekend. It presents really well. Great color, corners are bad. There are some minor creases and some printing bleed into the white frame.

There's a dealer who has a raw Jackie, asking $800 for it. It is in rough shape, and that is one card I'm willing to spend for something decent.

After completing this set, I'm looking at the 1960 Topps set. Love the color and design with the bog box letters.
                  That would be an awesome set to own....I own very few 1956 cards, but I do have a Willie Mays and Jackie Robinson. It may take me a bit to find them, but I'd be willing to part with them and would not be looking to make a profit, a good home for them would be great. So if you have a few weeks (months??) that you can wait I'll let you know and send info
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

That would be an awesome set to own....I own very few 1956 cards, but I do have a Willie Mays and Jackie Robinson. It may take me a bit to find them, but I'd be willing to part with them and would not be looking to make a profit, a good home for them would be great. So if you have a few weeks (months??) that you can wait I'll let you know and send info
                    I'm in no hurry. The hunt and story is more fun.

I think the hardest one for me to find in the Sandy Koufax. I go to a monthly show and see the other sporadically. I also buy on a couple Facebook pages. Rarely do I see a Koufax.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

I'm in no hurry. The hunt and story is more fun.

I think the hardest one for me to find in the Sandy Koufax. I go to a monthly show and see the other sporadically. I also buy on a couple Facebook pages. Rarely do I see a Koufax.
                      great, I'll put take a look and try to find my cards...check in in 2-3 weeks if you don't hear back from me, and good luck on the Koufax card !
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                      X