Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    Win on that winfield rookie card!
    And the Eck rookie. I paid $35 and with the 8 grade it's now worth $175. I paid $25 for the Winfield rookie and it's now worth $90.

Overall, the cards I submitted went up in value by 110%. The PSA fee was around $300, but as time goes on, the cards will continue to increase in value and my PSA cost will have long disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

And the Eck rookie. I paid $35 and with the 8 grade it's now worth $175. I paid $25 for the Winfield rookie and it's now worth $90.

Overall, the cards I submitted went up in value by 110%. The PSA fee was around $300, but as time goes on, the cards will continue to increase in value and my PSA cost will have long disappeared.
      How long did it take to get your cards back? I remember hearing a few years ago that the wait time was close to a year because they couldn't keep up with the demand and had a major backlog. I'm assuming it's a lot quicker now.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

How long did it take to get your cards back? I remember hearing a few years ago that the wait time was close to a year because they couldn't keep up with the demand and had a major backlog. I'm assuming it's a lot quicker now.
        Much quicker. A shade over 2 months.

Comment

I just secured the final six cards I needed to finish off the 1976 set that my dad and I had started when I was a kid. I anticipate having the cards in hand by the beginning of next week. This has been a fun chase for me. I have met and talked with a lot of great people through the journey.

Still working on the 1956 set, and that's going to take some time. Lots of pricey cards in that set.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
            I just secured the final six cards I needed to finish off the 1976 set that my dad and I had started when I was a kid. I anticipate having the cards in hand by the beginning of next week. This has been a fun chase for me. I have met and talked with a lot of great people through the journey.

Still working on the 1956 set, and that's going to take some time. Lots of pricey cards in that set.
            Very cool, I think I have a 74 set, almost 75 and 76...and a 77 that I ordered if I didn't mess with it. 56 set would be impressive. I have mays and Jackie Robinson I think....if you need either of them let me know. I may have a few other 56 so let me know if I can help
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Very cool, I think I have a 74 set, almost 75 and 76...and a 77 that I ordered if I didn't mess with it. 56 set would be impressive. I have mays and Jackie Robinson I think....if you need either of them let me know. I may have a few other 56 so let me know if I can help
              I have been thinking about what to do with my baseball cards, my kids have no interest, so I would love to give them a good home, lol
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I have been thinking about what to do with my baseball cards, my kids have no interest, so I would love to give them a good home, lol
                I'd definitely be interested in them, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

That's awesome. I found a garage sale last week and the guy had about 250 1968 and 1969's that I bought for $200. Didn't have the Jackson rookie but it did have the Bench rookie cup card, which is about $70 alone. I probably overpaid, but getting a lot that size made it worthwhile.

My sweet spot is the 1974-1976 sets, for some reason, but probably because they was the years just before I started collecting as a kid. Picked up a Yount rookie at a show last week and a Brett rookie through eBay, as I didn't have either.

Comment

That's awesome. I found a garage sale last week and the guy had about 250 1968 and 1969's that I bought for $200. Didn't have the Jackson rookie but it did have the Bench rookie cup card, which is about $70 alone. I probably overpaid, but getting a lot that size made it worthwhile.

My sweet spot is the 1974-1976 sets, for some reason, but probably because those was the years just before I started collecting as a kid. Picked up a Yount rookie at a show last week and a Brett rookie through eBay, as I didn't have either.
                    I had a a couple 72 cards as kid, none from 73. Then really started in 74. I remember getting the Hank Aaron card and my brother put it in his back pocket and sat on it
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I had a a couple 72 cards as kid, none from 73. Then really started in 74. I remember getting the Hank Aaron card and my brother put it in his back pocket and sat on it
                      I hope you never forgave him for that!

Comment

I started in 75. Have multiple sets from 75-80. The 76 set(s) were ordered directly from Topps...still have an original box they came in. Others from late 60s early 70s too.
                        Jumped back in in 89 for a couple years & now only buy a couple packs every now & again. Lots of unopened boxes & even a few cases of various 89 stuff.
                        Willing to part with many/most.

Comment

yeah, I've got a closet full of cards and comics. No clue what to do with them.

My cards are all late 80s-early 90s though. No one wants that shit.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I hope you never forgave him for that!
                            I am still working on it, ha ha. He Also did it to Jerrell Wilson all pro punter.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I started collecting baseball and football cards as a kid in 1978. Completed those sets from wax and cello packs. During the spring of 1979, I bought complete sets of 1976,1977,1979 baseball and 1977 football from Renata Galasso after seeing her ad in baseball digest. I remember them all costing around $18-22 per set. Then I got a 1975 Topps baseball set from Paul Marchant's ad in the Sporting News for the incredibly low price of $27 ! And they were all beautiful gem mint cards. They were in better condition than any of my other sets. I also bought a 1974 set out of a TSN classified ad for $35. But they were VG-Ex condition with lots of dinged corners. And they smelled like cigarettes. I went back to the wax packs for the 1980 & 1981 sets and then went back to ordering the sets by mail from 1982-1985. I ended up with Topps, Fleer, & Donruss baseball complete sets from 1974-1985 including all the traded and update sets. Plus complete Football sets from 1977-1984. By 1986, I discovered cars and girls and lost interest in collecting and ended up selling them all to Howard's Coin Shop in Ohio for a couple of grand so I could buy my first car. I really wish I would have kept that 1975 set though. Now every time I see PSA 9 & PSA 10 cards from that set selling for hundreds or even thousands of dollars on ebay, I wonder if one of those gem mint cards used to be mine. Sigh.

Fast forward to 2001 and the internet boom along with the the ease of buying cards on ebay and I was hooked again. Now my collection consists of Pirates and Steelers cards from the 70's & 80's, and 90-92 Pirates (both graded and ungraded) with emphasis on Clemente, Stargell, Parker (boyhood favorite), Bonds, & McCutchen. I've also been picking up a few Julio Rodriguez PSA 10's here and there. My best purchase so far is a PSA 9 OC (off center) Stargell rookie that I won for $67 about 15 years ago. I actually bid $300 on it and was shocked at the lack of interest. All because of the OC qualifier. It actually has nice centering from left to right and very sharp corners. But it has almost no border at the bottom. I still think it is a very nice looking card. There's 3 different PSA 9 (centered) Stargell rookie cards for sale on ebay now. They are all listed at over $24,000. I plan on holding onto that one for awhile.

One of the more unique items that I have acquired is Manny Sanguillen's very first minor league canceled paycheck from 1964 in the amount of $30 with one of his first professional autographs on the back. I got it for 25 bucks. I think someday I'm going to donate this one to a Pittsburgh Sports Museum. Maybe I can get a free lifetime pass out of the deal.
                              Last edited by madducks; 05-21-2024, 09:28 AM.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                I started collecting baseball and football cards as a kid in 1978. Completed those sets from wax and cello packs. During the spring of 1979, I bought complete sets of 1976,1977,1979 baseball and 1977 football from Renata Galasso after seeing her ad in baseball digest. I remember them all costing around $18-24 per set. Then I got a 1975 Topps baseball set from Paul Marchant's ad in the Sporting News for the incredibly low price of $27 ! And they were all beautiful gem mint cards. They were in better condition than any of my other sets. I also bought a 1974 set out of a TSN classified ad for $35. But they were VG-Ex condition with lots of dinged corners. And they smelled like cigarettes. I went back to the wax packs for the 1980 & 1981 sets and then went back to ordering the sets by mail from 1982-1985. I ended up with Topps, Fleer, & Donruss baseball complete sets from 1974-1985 including all the traded and update sets. Plus complete Football sets from 1977-1984. By 1986, I discovered cars and girls and lost interest in collecting and ended up selling them all to Howard's coin shop in Ohio for a couple of grand so I could buy my first car. I really wish I would have kept that 1975 set though. Now every time I see PSA 9 & PSA 10 cards from that set selling for hundreds or even thousands of dollars on ebay, I wonder if one of those gem mint cards used to be mine. Sigh.

Fast forward to 2001 and the internet boom along with the the ease of buying cards on ebay and I was hooked again. Now my collection consists of Pirates and Steelers cards from the 70's & 80's, and 90-92 Pirates (both graded and ungraded) with emphasis on Clemente, Stargell, Parker (boyhood favorite), Bonds, & McCutchen. I've also been picking up a few Julio Rodriguez PSA 10's here and there. My best purchase so far is a PSA 9 OC (off center) Stargell rookie that I won for $67 about 15 years ago. I actually bid $300 on it and was shocked at the lack of interest. All because of the OC qualifier. It actually has nice centering from left to right and very sharp corners. But it has almost no border at the bottom. I still think it is a very nice looking card. There's 3 different PSA 9 (centered) Stargell rookie cards for sale on ebay now. They are all listed at over $24,000. I plan on holding onto that one for awhile.

One of the more unique items that I have acquired is Manny Sanguillen's very first minor league canceled paycheck from 1964 in the amount of $30 with one of his first professional autographs on the back. I got it for 25 bucks. I think someday I'm going to donate this one to a Pittsburgh Sports Museum. Maybe I can get a free lifetime pass out of the deal.
                                I am amazed that anyone else knows about Renata Galasso..i bought cards from her in the mid 70s.... probably from baseball digest or maybe Sport magazine.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X