Any Sports Cards Collectors Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very cool stuff!
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

If you've never seen a complete T206 set, this is what it looks like.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Make sure you are sitting down when you watch this one. This may be the best baseball card collection in existence.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I want to thank Feral — he sent my son 6 unopened 1982 Fleer packs. We pulled a few HOFers, not the coveted Ripken rookie, but it was cool to open wax packs nonetheless. He loved it. Thanks Feral!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            I want to thank Feral — he sent my son 6 unopened 1982 Fleer packs. We pulled a few HOFers, not the coveted Ripken rookie, but it was cool to open wax packs nonetheless. He loved it. Thanks Feral!
            You are welcome, glad it was fun !
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Here's a really cool video showing a tour of the BCW card supplies warehouse/ factory.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Went to my local flea market today with my son. Usually there's 2 or 3 card sellers there, one guy is out of his mind ridiculous, and the other one sold out most of his stuff, so we weren't expecting much. But alas, we stumbled upon a new seller we hadn't seen before. Wow, it turned into one of those crazy "in the wild" pulls I usually read about in FB groups! I bought three near complete Topps sets (1973, 1975 & 1977) with the usuals missing, as he was selling them also by the card. Each set was missing around 50 cards, but that's acceptable. Condition was VG to EX/MT. He had a huge selection of vintage autographed cards, and I picked up autographed cards by Rod Scurry, Alan Wiggins, Kirk Gibson, Darrell Porter, Rico Petrocelli, Donnie Moore, Whitey Herzog & Robin Roberts. He also "threw in" about 50 1962 & 1963 Post cards! $300 for the entire lot!

Comment

How Upper Deck changed baseball cards forever:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The history of Topps baseball cards:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      How Upper Deck changed baseball cards forever:

Another interesting story behind Upper Deck is that former California Angels pitcher DeWayne Buice was a founding partner because he was friends with one of the other founders but he had the MLB connections they lacked. Buice ended up getting 12% of the company to help secure an MLB license, but he ended up suing the other partners because he believed he was owed more. All in all, he ended up making $17m from his Upper Deck stake, far more than the $200k he made in his MLB career.

The strike of 1994 so eroded Upper Deck's profits over the next few years that virtually all of them went to Buice.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Another interesting story behind Upper Deck is that former California Angels pitcher DeWayne Buice was a founding partner because he was friends with one of the other founders but he had the MLB connections they lacked. Buice ended up getting 12% of the company to help secure an MLB license, but he ended up suing the other partners because he believed he was owed more. All in all, he ended up making $17m from his Upper Deck stake, far more than the $200k he made in his MLB career.

The strike of 1994 so eroded Upper Deck's profits over the next few years that virtually all of them went to Buice.
                        And they flooded the market with 1989 Ken Griffey Jr rookies by printing extra Junior rookies in 100 card sheets. Supposedly, they were printed to replace damaged cards sent in by customers using their return program. But, a lot of these mint condition Griffey Jr rookie cards ended up in the hands of Upper Deck executives.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

And they flooded the market with 1989 Ken Griffey Jr rookies by printing extra Junior rookies in 100 card sheets. Supposedly, they were printed to replace damaged cards sent in by customers using their return program. But, a lot of these mint condition Griffey Jr rookie cards ended up in the hands of Upper Deck executives.
                          UD singlehandedly killed the market for a good 10-12 years after that.

Comment

Went back to the flea market and one of the usual sellers was there, so picked up about 300 1971 Topps Baseball in VG to EXNM condition, including Mays & Clemente, for $225. Thought I got a bargain there!

Comment

Went back to the flea market and one of the usual sellers was there, so picked up about 300 1971 Topps Baseball cards in VG to EXNM condition, including Mays & Clemente, for $225. Thought I got a bargain there!

Comment

The history of Fleer baseball cards:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X