No announcement yet.

2013 dead pool roster and scoring thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess Edmund Fitzgerald, the son of the guy with the same name whose name got on the ship that - failed - doesn't qualify as a celebrity. But a baseball connection.

Edmund B. Fitzgerald dies at 87; known for baseball, shipwreck ties

Baseball historians know him as a businessman who helped bring Major League ball back to Milwaukee, but Edmund B. Fitzgerald is better known for his family connection to one of America's most famous shipwrecks.

All 29 sailors on the freighter Edmund Fitzgerald drowned in Lake Superior on Nov. 10, 1975. The next year, they were memorialized in Gordon Lightfoot's haunting ballad, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Honestly, I can't remember you making one since I starting doing these 5 or 6 years ago. Don Quixote, giver of life!

I think it may have to do with picking people you WANT to die, as opposed to doing analysis of who has severe diseases (or self-destructive habits) that they might die from.
      That's just it. My rosters aren't completely full of people whose demise I would consider a blessing for the world. Some are people who are just OLD and prominent, like the Queen.

One problem is that I have never had an early pick. I always seem to wind up below the middle of the first round, so all the slam-dunk choices are long gone when my turn rolls around. I do some research, but my picks remain, to paraphrase the words of Jim Bouton, "disgustingly healthy if not particularly beneficial to the world".
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Actor Paul Walker of 'The Fast & the Furious' franchise was killed in a car crash yesterday at age 40. RIP.

Comment

RIP Nelson Mandela. 5 points for B-Fly.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Peter O'Toole dead at 81. 19 points for Hacko, who moves into second place.

Comment

Peter O'Toole dead at 81. 19 points for Hacko, who moves into second place.

Comment

Also passing yesterday were Joan Fontaine and Tom Laughlin, who starred in 1971's "Billy Jack."

Comment

Just wondering....shouldn't we be starting the 2014 draft soon???

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                    Just wondering....shouldn't we be starting the 2014 draft soon???
                    we tend to draft "in year", my guess is that we'll start the week on Jan 6th
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Maybe you can give double points if a drafter is responsible the death of the celebrity?
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

we tend to draft "in year", my guess is that we'll start the week on Jan 6th
                        Something like that. I'll create the signup/discussion thread during the last week of December so we can get rolling relatively soon after the New Year.

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        I think we should change the rules for the next one. Seems kinda dumb that whoever selects the most guys with pancreatic cancer automatically wins.
                        Skills, not roles.

I was thinking about whether we should weight the scoring by round in addition to age. We could offer a bonus to the team(s) who make a correct pick in the lowest round (e.g. this year Hacko and I both were correct on our 9th rounders). We could do something more complex than that. Would add an extra layer of strategy. Thoughts?

Comment

I was thinking about whether we should weight the scoring by round in addition to age. We could offer a bonus to the team(s) who make a correct pick in the lowest round (e.g. this year Hacko and I both were correct on our 9th rounders). We could do something more complex than that. Would add an extra layer of strategy. Thoughts?
                          I'm fine with weighting rounds...do we really need to get more complex than that for a dead pool?
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Do you want to argue for a whole year about what constitutes "terminal"? I don't.

Comment

Do you want to argue for a whole year about what constitutes "terminal"? I don't.
                              I think his point is some drafters Google beyond a reasonable doubt and make this less of a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                I'm fine with weighting rounds...do we really need to get more complex than that for a dead pool?
                                Just use the round # as a multiplier for any points. So a 2nd round pick is x2, 8th round pick is x8.
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X