Horrible fall out from CT shooting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Yeah ... if you're going to do it, you need to be able to lock down the classrooms and give the kids time and crucially a way to get out. You couldn't really drill for this in such a way as to make it smooth (like a fire drill) ... so it would have to be the teachers who are trained to deal with this eventuality.
    Yep, better locks on doors too. But in a way that no student hijinks ensue.

These all seem better than "duck and cover"
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      Yep, better locks on doors too. But in a way that no student hijinks ensue.

These all seem better than "duck and cover"
      we have very strong key locks on all of our doors - in the room and in the hallway. The teachers all carry keys for their rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        What about hunting? I am not a hunter, but see the necessity of hunting...to provide food ..to thin the herd, etc..I have hit two deer with my car and it is not a fun experience.it's scary. Everytime i nearly hit another deer i am always thankful that there are hunters thinning the herd.
        Should clarify that ... was a carry over from another statement ... meant handguns, and any weapon that is not designed for hunting, ground management etc. The later should be carefully licensed, and the license holder should be responsible and liable for their careful storage and control.

Lot's of "shoulds" in there. Academic debate really.

Comment

Actually, I kind of like the Emergency exits in every classroom. Have one window that is removable and has enough room to exit the building.
          We had these when I was in school. You could open windows on warm days but they also had a latch were the whole set of windows would open. Usually fire drills were walk down the hall to the door but every once in a while the teacher would open the window and we would have to climb out. The windows were low enough to the ground that older kids would climb out and younger kids were easily lifted over and placed on the ground if they weren't tall enough to climb over. I guess these have gone away for some reason or another?

We have also had a couple calls here that all new schools should have one entrance so that it can be securely monitored. Better hope a fire never breaks out in a school designed by those morons.

Comment

This is just another in the long line of reasons why i am so glad i was a kid in the 70's instead of now. The schools i went to were wide open..anyone could walk in at anytime...never a problem...
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Actually, I kind of like the Emergency exits in every classroom. Have one window that is removable and has enough room to exit the building.
              I am pretty sure we had this at my high school. In 1995. At least on the first floor. And it wasn't really necessary, because any one of us could have thrown a chair through the "regular" windows if we really needed to. But I guess it's a problem in schools where there are internal classrooms, or locked windows, or bulletproof windows, or barred windows.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                Unlike drilling, having adults in the school with guns might actually enhance the risk that someone will get shot. If you're talking about a trained security guard or a police officer, I think that's an effective deterrent. Giving a gun to a teacher or administrator? I think that's asking for trouble.
                Agreed.

I was actually comparing the safety feeling of drills to the general public's safety feeling for in home gun protection.

Comment

The school my three boys go to has a gate that lowers to prevent people from accessing the classrooms via the main hall. It comes down from the ceiling and is activated from the office I believe.

If it were to be activated, the classrooms are all down hallways that have outside access. Most of the classrooms do not have windows.

Comment

The town in which I lived (before moving to this barren wasteland) once had a certified police officer on every campus in town. Budgetary issues have reduced that to a single resource officer who circulates among the schools.

I think having a police officer in each school, while expensive in the short term, could work out well in the long run. Certainly better, IMO, than arming the history teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      The town in which I lived (before moving to this barren wasteland) once had a certified police officer on every campus in town. Budgetary issues have reduced that to a single resource officer who circulates among the schools.

I think having a police officer in each school, while expensive in the short term, could work out well in the long run. Certainly better, IMO, than arming the history teacher.
                      As a teacher in a middle/high school in an affluent suburb - I don't have a problem with that at all. We have 4 elementary schools and one middle/high school in our district, at the least have an officer make the rounds of all the schools all day long. We have crossing guards in the morning and afternoon - have then stick around. Actually the DARE officer is treated like a celebrity by the kids so police would not be viewed as a threat but rather a good thing.

Arming a teacher/principal/superintendent is a stupid, stupid idea - I don't think anyone really grasps how bad an idea that is

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        Arming a teacher/principal/superintendent is a stupid, stupid idea - I don't think anyone really grasps how bad an idea that is
                        Yeah ... but you're not looking at this from the perspective of the gun industry. Think about those folk for a minute. Every school, 4 or 5 armed teachers ... that is a lot of guns / ammo / profit.

I wish I wasn't only half joking.

There's no doubt NRA and other gun lobby groups / think tanks have already devised stats and projections for the potential profit to be gained from from arming schools and other such institutions. They probably had it all ready to go, just waiting for an "opportunity" like this to come along.

Comment

On Tuesday evening, my daughter shared with me that her Twitter feed was all abuzz about a potential threat at her high school. Apparently a note was found that read, "I may be silent, but on Friday my gun won't be." She shrugged it off, which I'm glad she doesn't feel like you have to give credence to everything you hear or read. However, yesterday morning I emailed the principal regarding the rumor. My thought was, "I know this is probably nothing, but..." I received a very quick response and I was not the only person to say something.

Today an email came from the school with details about the note and them being able to track it back to the students involved.

Glad I sent a email, while it was a hoax, I know I couldn't live with myself if something had happened.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            As a teacher in a middle/high school in an affluent suburb - I don't have a problem with that at all. We have 4 elementary schools and one middle/high school in our district, at the least have an officer make the rounds of all the schools all day long. We have crossing guards in the morning and afternoon - have then stick around. Actually the DARE officer is treated like a celebrity by the kids so police would not be viewed as a threat but rather a good thing.

The kids at my son's school get along well with the resource officer, too. He's a good guy, not there to hassle them, just providing some added security.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              We NEED armed guards at our elementary schools.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

This sucks.
                              YEP it does SUCK- because anyone can easily get a gun with little effort - if not in his state - in the next one - and then carry it hidden on their person

Comment

Sales of kids’ bulletproof backpacks soar.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...939_story.html

“We sell 15 to 20 backpacks in a good week,” said Uy, the company’s vice president of sales. “Since the shooting, we’ve sold 50 to 100 per day.”
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X