• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corporate sponsorships

I know that there are sillier ones out there but this seems ridiculous

The Rose Bowl is not the Rose Bowl anymore

Here is a line from an ESPN article

ESPN reported Bielema wants to coach the team in the Rose Bowl presented by Vizio,

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    I know that there are sillier ones out there but this seems ridiculous

The Rose Bowl is not the Rose Bowl anymore

Here is a line from an ESPN article

ESPN reported Bielema wants to coach the team in the Rose Bowl presented by Vizio,
    How about alcohol companies sponsoring race cars. lol.

Have you ever been to the Rose Bowl? The mountains beyond the stadium are beautiful.

Comment

You think that's silly try this for size ... Mike Ashley (unlikable cockney git) bought Newcastle Utd (famous old North East football club), and renamed their historic 120 year old ground from St James Park ... to:

"sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park"

Comment

The "....presented by ___" is not new, but still unusual. Usually the event is so big/traditional/whatever that it considers itself to be above corporate sponsorships that lead with the company name first, but sure do loooove the dollars that go along with it. The Kentucky Derby is actually "The Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands." How's that one?

Comment

Saying that, the WSOP wouldn't be the same without Jack Link's Beef Jerky.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            The "....presented by ___" is not new, but still unusual. Usually the event is so big/traditional/whatever that it considers itself to be above corporate sponsorships that lead with the company name first, but sure do loooove the dollars that go along with it. The Kentucky Derby is actually "The Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands." How's that one?
            Lol what is/are Yum Brands?

The Vizio sponsorship helped with the remodeling so I'm okay with it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              You think that's silly try this for size ... Mike Ashley (unlikable cockney git) bought Newcastle Utd (famous old North East football club), and renamed their historic 120 year old ground from St James Park ... to:

"sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park"
              that's funny.

next up: the Old Course at St. Andrews could become sportsdirect.com @ the Old Course @ St. Andrew's
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                that's funny.

next up: the Old Course at St. Andrews could become sportsdirect.com @ the Old Course @ St. Andrew's
                Now he's trying to rename Ibrox Park in Glasgow, Sports Direct Arena ... if that goes through I'd suggest he gets a good bodyguard or 20.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                  Lol what is/are Yum Brands?

The Vizio sponsorship helped with the remodeling so I'm okay with it.
                  Yum Brands is the parent company for Taco Bell, Pizza Hut & KFC.

Comment

Yum Brands is the parent company for Taco Bell, Pizza Hut & KFC.
                    well that makes no sense at all.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I agree but to see it called that in a news story seems just plain silly.

Find me a news story where the Kentucky Derby is called by the full name.

Comment

Louisville basketball plays at the KFC Yum! Center

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          I agree but to see it called that in a news story seems just plain silly.

Find me a news story where the Kentucky Derby is called by the full name.
                          "Todd Pletcher is a two-time winner of the Kentucky Jockey Club. WinStar Farm LLC’s Super Saver won the race in 2009 and returned to Churchill Downs the following year to win the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI). Gemologist, also owned by WinStar Farm, won it in 2011 and returned in 2012 to finish 16th in the Derby."
                          Louisville news and Southern Indiana news, Louisville sports and Kentucky sports, politics, entertainment and Kentucky Derby coverage from the Courier-Journal

I agree, it seems silly.

How about the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Now that's silly.

Comment

"Todd Pletcher is a two-time winner of the Kentucky Jockey Club. WinStar Farm LLC’s Super Saver won the race in 2009 and returned to Churchill Downs the following year to win the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI). Gemologist, also owned by WinStar Farm, won it in 2011 and returned in 2012 to finish 16th in the Derby."
                            Louisville news and Southern Indiana news, Louisville sports and Kentucky sports, politics, entertainment and Kentucky Derby coverage from the Courier-Journal

I agree, it seems silly.

How about the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Now that's silly.
                            Especially since it is an hour away from LA and may as well be in another part of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              Louisville basketball plays at the KFC Yum! Center
                              If I was a professional sports announcer, I would die a little bit on the inside every time I was forced to say the words "KFC Yum! Center."

I'm still amused by the various sports franchises playing in corporate brewery stadiums preventing their announcers from saying the actual names of other corporate brewery stadiums. "We're here at the ballpark in St. Louis" ... LOL
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                              X