No announcement yet.

GOP Convention Rules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I don't see new conservatives on the court going after the core of Roe v Wade, because it has a 40-year shelf life now.

Flipped thru the channels earlier.
    The otherwise unwatchable Ed Schultz's producers had a strong clip of how many different Republicans misused the "you didn't build that" line in convention speeches. It was an awkward, teleprompter-less speech by Obama, but after further review, there's just no way you can sell that meme all fall. Romney would be wise to avoid it entirely in debates, and when he's asked about it anyway, there is a way to claim that it's Obama's overall attitude, if he likes. But to claim that the particular line is saying that a businessman can't take credit for his efforts doesn't work. The earlier comments in the speech, even in context, might be a little off-putting to small businessmen. But he didn't say that they "didn't build that" specifically.

Meanwhile Fox News had a clip of an elderly couple giving a little-seen speech. I guess about 30 years ago they had a dying 14-year-old son, and they movingly told how family friend Romney - in the midst of a high-powered business life - spent so much more time with their son than they could have imagined.

Also hearing chatter that Condi Rice's speech was stirring as well. Life not really allowing me time to catch up on all this these days, alas.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      Yes, I don't see new conservatives on the court going after the core of Roe v Wade, because it has a 40-year shelf life now.

Flipped thru the channels earlier.
      The otherwise unwatchable Ed Schultz's producers had a strong clip of how many different Republicans misused the "you didn't build that" line in convention speeches. It was an awkward, teleprompter-less speech by Obama, but after further review, there's just no way you can sell that meme all fall. Romney would be wise to avoid it entirely in debates, and when he's asked about it anyway, there is a way to claim that it's Obama's overall attitude, if he likes. But to claim that the particular line is saying that a businessman can't take credit for his efforts doesn't work. The earlier comments in the speech, even in context, might be a little off-putting to small businessmen. But he didn't say that they "didn't build that" specifically.

Meanwhile Fox News had a clip of an elderly couple giving a little-seen speech. I guess about 30 years ago they had a dying 14-year-old son, and they movingly told how family friend Romney - in the midst of a high-powered business life - spent so much more time with their son than they could have imagined.

Also hearing chatter that Condi Rice's speech was stirring as well. Life not really allowing me time to catch up on all this these days, alas.
      They don't have to go after the heart of Roe itself...with the right case, they can start to cut away at it without actually dealing with the main body of the law.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Don't worry guys, i'm sure you'll hear the name Bush hundreds of times at the DNC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          I would have to say that I am feeling less inspired to even vote!!! But I suspect I will. After watching the RNC Convention, I fell asleep and had a dream. In the dream I was in a room with a bunch of people, looking around at the group, I suddenly realized I just didn't belong with this group. I then walked down the hallway and looked into the other room. It, too, had a crowd of people, and after just a peak, I realized I didn't belong with them either. So I was stuck out in the hallway with a few other people, looking just as lost! I wonder what that dream means?
          You were in the wrong building.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I love the metaphorical building. It's foundation is very strong and it has withstood many storms. I love the document that binds its occupants together. I love that the building is open to all kinds of people with all kinds of ideas. I love that while the building could be more open and inviting to visitors, it's going in the right direction, slower than I'd like, but going. I love that I can speak freely and promote ideas for change in the building. My heart hurts when I think of the sacrifice others made to build this building. I have friends from other buildings who tell me this is the greatest building in the area. I am proud to be a tenant in this building and am more than happy to pay my fair share of rent to stay here.

I just don't like the landlords much. We need new landlords, because while I love this building, I'm beginning to see cracks and deferred maintenance, some worn carpeting and a few leaks in the plumbing.

We can all do better to take care of this building, but we can't do unless we work together. And I see one room that wants to keep the carpeting blue at all cost and in spite of the wear and tear. The other room is full of people who will do or say anything to change the color to red. Both rooms are full of people who can only see their own point of veiw and are not the least bit interested in hearing the ideas from the other room. If someone stumbles into the wrong room, they are immediately ushered out

What I know is the building has ample resources to repair the things needing repair, but it lacking leadership to make the hard decisions. The folks in the hall way are growing in number and in frustration. But I love that building.
            Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 09-01-2012, 09:56 AM.
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• PPP polls are in:

No bounce for Romney in Florida- Obama leads 48-47, exactly identical to our last poll there 5 weeks ago
              33% in FL said convention made them more likely to vote GOP, 33% less likely to vote GOP, 34% no difference either way
              36% in FL have favorable opinion of Eastwood speech, 41% unfavorable. But overall favorability still 72/11. Didn't hurt his image too much
              Florida voters on who gives better speeches: Obama 58, Romney 32...could be one reason for no convention bounce

Comment

• Gallup shows a very weak ROI on the convention http://www.gallup.com/poll/157256/go...reactions.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Gallup shows a very weak ROI on the convention http://www.gallup.com/poll/157256/go...reactions.aspx
                  Funny. That is not how I read these numbers at all.

Republicans 83 6 11
                  Independants 36 33 30
                  Democrats 9 74 18

The goal was to unify and motivate the base. They managed that without alienating independants.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

Republicans 83 6 11
                    Independants 36 33 30
                    Democrats 9 74 18

The goal was to unify and motivate the base. They managed that without alienating independants.

J
                    compared to previous conventions, this one has the worst results of them all. If that article didn't do a good job of showing that, perhaps Silver's will

Polls have delivered a muddled picture of what sort of bounce Mitt Romney received from the Republican convention in Tampa, Fla.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

Republicans 83 6 11
                      Independants 36 33 30
                      Democrats 9 74 18

J
                      You simply can't spin this effectively...the base polled here said they would have voted for Romney anyway. And it had no effect on Independent voters...

PRINCETON, NJ -- Last week's Republican National Convention had a minimal impact on Americans' self-reported voting intentions, with just about as many saying the convention made them less likely to vote for Mitt Romney as say it made them more likely to vote for him.

These results, based on Gallup Daily tracking conducted Aug. 31-Sept. 1, showed predictable partisan differences. Republicans overwhelmingly said the convention made them more likely to vote for Romney, although most would likely be voting for their nominee anyway. Democrats as predictably said the convention made them less likely to vote for Romney. Independents, a key group in any presidential election, were essentially split, with 36% saying the convention made them more likely to vote for Romney and 33% less likely -- although 30% said they don't know or that the convention made no difference.
                      Last week's GOP convention had a minimal impact on Americans' voting intentions, and the public rated Mitt Romney's speech the least positively of presidential nomination acceptance speeches Gallup has measured since 1996.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                        Don't worry guys, i'm sure you'll hear the name Bush hundreds of times at the DNC.
                        And that's just in the opening speech!
                        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• There have been enough people piling on Clint, I'm glad the Prez didn't join in. He just said he was a huge Eastwood fan, and that if you can't take a little criticism you shouldn't be in politics.

Comment

• thought it was funny that the party of family values chose a guy who has fathered 7 different children with 5 different women and has married only 2 of them to introduce their candidate.

Comment

• I didnt see Shawn Kemp there.......
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• There was a GOP Convention bounce, after all... for Clint Eastwood. Eastwood's speech outpolled Mitt Romney's, 20% - 17%, as the convention's highlight
                                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                                X