Chick Fil-A Appreciation Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I have four brothers and sisters and they all have been married for more than 20 years apiece.
    I don't know for certain ANY of their political party affiliations, and of the 8, I can only think of two I would guess at somewhat confidently (neither of whom are siblings, btw).

There has never been a significant argument at any family function in my lifetime. Not one.

I know this is REALLY weird, but we just enjoy each other company and talk about family, what's new on television, the weather, and other innocuous topics. We have a bunch of laughs, and everyone goes home happy. And I've never been on Facebook, either.

Are we crazy?
    Nope, but maybe culturally homogenous.

Almost everyone in my family is liberal on social issues, some doggedly so, most of the "of course, that's the reasonable way to look at it, doesn't everyone?" variety. It's just how we were raised and educated.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I have four brothers and sisters and they all have been married for more than 20 years apiece.
      I don't know for certain ANY of their political party affiliations, and of the 8, I can only think of two I would guess at somewhat confidently (neither of whom are siblings, btw).

There has never been a significant argument at any family function in my lifetime. Not one.

I know this is REALLY weird, but we just enjoy each other company and talk about family, what's new on television, the weather, and other innocuous topics. We have a bunch of laughs, and everyone goes home happy. And I've never been on Facebook, either.

Are we crazy?
      Yes, yes you are.

Comment

• Just about everyone in my family is conservative, southern baptists and that isn't and never has been me.

So, I'm the odd duck out which is partially why I moved 2500 miles away when I hit 18 and never really looked back. As I've gotten older and have a kid now I really wish I had that tight knit family unit that seems to only exist on television or Hallmark cards.

Comment

Are we crazy?
          I'm the oldest of seven siblings and the only one that went to college. My youngest brother is one of those super-smart dyslexia/ADD guys that once he got out of school and got a job, it took him only a short while to be running the whole company. The rest have all struggled trying to hold onto work.

We rarely agree on anything, except that we are all conspiracy nuts. Their conspiracies are about Ancient Aliens and Mexican Immigrants and the Illuminati. Mine are about Big Business, Adult Onset Diabetes, and The Man. Otherwise, we have nothing to talk about. Difference in levels of education is a HUGE divider of people. We disagree on about every issue in which disagreement is possible, and I have not seen many of them in more than 10 years. We aren't close, but we are friends on Facebook.

Are WE crazy?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            I'm the oldest of seven siblings and the only one that went to college. My youngest brother is one of those super-smart dyslexia/ADD guys that once he got out of school and got a job, it took him only a short while to be running the whole company. The rest have all struggled trying to hold onto work.

We rarely agree on anything, except that we are all conspiracy nuts. Their conspiracies are about Ancient Aliens and Mexican Immigrants and the Illuminati. Mine are about Big Business, Adult Onset Diabetes, and The Man. Otherwise, we have nothing to talk about. Difference in levels of education is a HUGE divider of people. We disagree on about every issue in which disagreement is possible, and I have not seen many of them in more than 10 years. We aren't close, but we are friends on Facebook.

Are WE crazy?
            I would say interesting.

Just curious, do you do it with good nature or is it angry?

Comment

Difference in levels of education is a HUGE divider of people.
              Yep. The homogenaiety in my family may in part stem from all of us having either a four-year college degree or a successful tenure in the military, with the exception of my one cousin who spent ages 16-30 as a touring blues guitarist, which doesn't lend itself to social conservatism either.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Just curious, do you do it with good nature or is it angry?
                Mostly bemused deattachment. I love my family, but I don't really LIKE them very much, except maybe my littlest brother. Most of our discourse is civil, but it's hard to stay cordial when my sister starts complaining about Mexicans or gays or African-Americans (of course, she would never call them that) stealing all our jobs or mooching the welfare system when she has two husbands in prison for (very) heinous crimes, a daughter that got knocked-up at 13, a dropout-gun/knife nut son who is likely a budding mass murderer, and loves Christ and all his good works except when He accepted and loved people different from him. We both try, but -c'mon- is it really going to go well of we sit and chat? I think it's better for both of us that we be family at a distance.

Comment

Difference in levels of education is a HUGE divider of people.
                  thinking about this one.

my siblings and I all have college degrees, as do all but one of their spouses (though I don't think ANY of our parents including in-law parents went to college).

on the other hand, the "missing" one has a batshit crazy family - but our mother always talked to us about what a great opportunity it was to learn from people not so similar to us. they're nice people, actually - though my sister's young-adult kids cackle at going, on holiday weekends, from "Leave it to Beaver" one day to "The Roseanne Show" the next.

Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-30-2013, 07:04 PM.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                  X