Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President's Day -- Why are people off from work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
    Here are the 2011 Federal Holidays. Please let us know which are worthy and which should be done away with. TIA.

Friday, December 31, 2010* New Year’s Day
    Monday, January 17 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Monday, February 21** Washington’s Birthday
    Monday, May 30 Memorial Day
    Monday, July 4 Independence Day
    Monday, September 5 Labor Day
    Monday, October 10 Columbus Day
    Friday, November 11 Veterans Day
    Thursday, November 24 Thanksgiving Day
    Monday, December 26*** Christmas Day
    So basically, we're talking 10 holidays - or two work weeks. Most Americans get 10 vacation days. So basically, you get four weeks worth of paid vacation out of 52 weeks in the year. I don't think that's remotely excessive. Scattered three day weekends are good for the economy because they encourage people to travel more and play more, and I think they're probably good for productivity as people recharge their batteries. I suppose one can argue whether the underlying subject of each individual holiday is more or less worthy of recognition than other things or people that are not the subject of a holiday, but I don't really understand why one would begrudge the days off.
    Last edited by B-Fly; 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      So basically, we're talking 10 holidays - or two work weeks. Most Americans get 10 vacation days. So basically, you get four weeks worth of paid vacation out of 52 weeks in the year. I don't think that's remotely excessive. Scattered three day weekends are good for the economy because they encourage people to travel more and play more, and I think they're probably good for productivity as people recharge their batteries. I suppose one can argue whether the underlying subject of each individual holiday is more or less worthy of recognition that other things or people that are not the subject of a holiday, but I don't really understand why one would begrudge the days off.
      +1

[applause smiley if I knew how to do it]

Comment

I would've sworn that we had to work President's Day. I drove the 45mins in to work yesterday to arrive at an empty parkinglot. I was more than a bit annoyed.
        -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

Originally posted by NakedRicci View Post
          I would've sworn that we had to work President's Day. I drove the 45mins in to work yesterday to arrive at an empty parkinglot. I was more than a bit annoyed.

Annoyed yes, but then woo hoo a day off!! Probably up earlier and no Presidents Day hangover! Whoot!

Comment

I'm in favor of fewer "holidays" in cold weather and more when it's warm. Let's get rid of Presidents' Day as a holiday and add one in early August. If nothing else, it'll irritate the school kids, the little sh**s.

IIRC, before "Presidents' Day" was instituted, there was a very inconsistent pattern as to who/where Lincoln's Birthday and Washington's Birthday were observed. Obviously, the former wasn't particularly popular in the South. Some states, school districts, companies, etc., observed one, some the other, some both, some neither. The creation of President's Day standardized things somewhat, and took what limited significance the respective days had and eliminated them.

Personally, there's no such thing as off days for me until May except for PONY Auction Day, which holds more significance than New Year's Day, MLK Day, President's Day, and certainly Good Friday all combined.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              Personally, there's no such thing as off days for me until May except for PONY Auction Day, which holds more significance than New Year's Day, MLK Day, President's Day, and certainly Good Friday all combined.
              As it should..... :amen:

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                What is the point of giving people a day off for President's Day? Does that in some way "honor" the Presidents?

I'm not buying it.
                Mith's head will explode when he learns that Maine and Massachusetts get Patriot's Day off in April... (banks, schools, govt in those two states get it off)

Monday, April 18 this year...

Last edited by SeaDogStat; 02-22-2011, 11:19 AM.
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  :ROFL:

Look up curmudgeon in the dictionary and you'll see Ray's picture next to it. Hilarious.
                  I lose a whole day's pay when a holiday falls on a weekend. I'm not sympathetic when kids complain about not getting a particular day off.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    SDS, please note that you have the option to slap me the next time I see you for my having responded to this thread.
                    WOOT... I'm driving down to NJ first chance I get!

I might do it on a holiday...just to reinforce it
                    Last edited by SeaDogStat; 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM.
                    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                      Mith's head will explode when he learns that Maine and Massachusetts get Patriot's Day off in April... (banks, schools, govt in those two states get it off)

Monday, April 18 this year...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots'_Day
                      I am not against holidays, just was questioning the motives behind the holidays. I think there should be more holidays, just call them "National Days Off" or "Official Day to Stay Home", etc... instead of "honoring" individuals.

I say 14 National holidays per year...and the states can do what they want. Also include election days as holidays.
                      Last edited by Mithrandir; 02-22-2011, 12:15 PM.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                        I'm in favor of fewer "holidays" in cold weather and more when it's warm. Let's get rid of Presidents' Day as a holiday and add one in early August. If nothing else, it'll irritate the school kids, the little sh**s.
                        Only you could create a holiday celebrating spite.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I am not against holidays, just was questioning the motives behind the holidays. I think there should be more holidays, just call them "National Days Off" or "Official Day to Stay Home", etc... instead of "honoring" individuals.

I say 14 National holidays per year...and the states can do what they want.
                          Really not trying to start anything, but that's boring. "Hey honey, what do want to do for National Day Off #9?" What is wrong with honoring individuals? Why do you have an issue with that? More importantly, why is it something you feel strongly enough about to start a post about it?
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            Really not trying to start anything, but that's boring. "Hey honey, what do want to do for National Day Off #9?" What is wrong with honoring individuals? Why do you have an issue with that? More importantly, why is it something you feel strongly enough about to start a post about it?
                            To see how long it takes for you or Bob to post something critical of me.

I just don't see the point creating holidays to honor people in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.

More importantly why do you feel strongly enough to keep reading this thread and posting in it? Seems rather silly to criticize my starting this thread and then you keep it going......
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

More importantly why do you feel strongly enough to keep reading this thread and posting in it? Seems rather silly to criticize my starting this thread and then you keep it going......
                              Everyone likes a good train wreck.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                                Everyone likes a good train wreck.
                                But you're part of the wreck.

Comment

Working...
                                X