Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President's Day -- Why are people off from work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    To celebrate two important people in the history of our country? What's wrong with that?

Move to Canada if you don't like it.

You have to be off from work or school to do this?

Why can't the federal and state workers, bank employees and postal workers, students etc...gather together at their respective workplaces, say during lunch, and celebrate these historic people as a group. With a cake and some party hats, then go back to some productive work.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

We should totally do away with all those other stupid holidays too. Thanksgiving? Pshaw! Christmas? Just silly. Get back to work, people, and if you want to celebrate something, make sure to do it during lunch when you're not technically "on the clock."

Pshaw!

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
        We should totally do away with all those other stupid holidays too. Thanksgiving? Pshaw! Christmas? Just silly. Get back to work, people, and if you want to celebrate something, make sure to do it during lunch when you're not technically "on the clock."

Pshaw!

I knew somebody would offer up this ridiculous argument..actually took a lot longer than i thought it would.

So no one can tell me why President's day is a national holiday worthy of a day off. We just accept that it is.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

SDS, please note that you have the option to slap me the next time I see you for my having responded to this thread.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            I knew somebody would offer up this ridiculous argument..actually took a lot longer than i thought it would.

So no one can tell me why President's day is a national holiday worthy of a day off. We just accept that it is.
            good enough for me, you commie.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Here are the 2011 Federal Holidays. Please let us know which are worthy and which should be done away with. TIA.

Friday, December 31, 2010* New Year’s Day
              Monday, January 17 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
              Monday, February 21** Washington’s Birthday
              Monday, May 30 Memorial Day
              Monday, July 4 Independence Day
              Monday, September 5 Labor Day
              Monday, October 10 Columbus Day
              Friday, November 11 Veterans Day
              Thursday, November 24 Thanksgiving Day
              Monday, December 26*** Christmas Day

Comment

For some reason China doesn't recognize President's Day.
                拖裤子,
                放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Friday, December 31, 2010* New Year’s Day - this one is iffy. No real reason for it to be a holiday, but no one would come to work anyway.
                  Monday, January 17 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. - no holidays for individuals
                  Monday, February 21** Washington’s Birthday - see above
                  Monday, May 30 Memorial Day - ok
                  Monday, July 4 Independence Day -ok
                  Monday, September 5 Labor Day - ok
                  Monday, October 10 Columbus Day - see above
                  Friday, November 11 Veterans Day - ok
                  Thursday, November 24 Thanksgiving Day - ok
                  Monday, December 26*** Christmas Day - ok

I have to run...more on this later (maybe)

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    And just why are military folks so fancy as to warrant not one but TWO federal holidays? Hmm? HMM?
                    one for the living ones, and one for the dead ones, and since we pay them not much more than the minimum wage, it's the least we can do....
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
                      Here are the 2011 Federal Holidays. Please let us know which are worthy and which should be done away with. TIA.

Friday, December 31, 2010* New Year’s Day
                      Monday, January 17 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
                      Monday, February 21** Washington’s Birthday
                      Monday, May 30 Memorial Day
                      Monday, July 4 Independence Day
                      Monday, September 5 Labor Day
                      Monday, October 10 Columbus Day
                      Friday, November 11 Veterans Day
                      Thursday, November 24 Thanksgiving Day
                      Monday, December 26*** Christmas Day
                      we don't get presidents day, veterans day or columbus day off at my work, and we only started getting MLK day off about 3 years ago. We do get the day after thanksgiving off though.
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

You can blame President Arthur. He passed a bill to celebrate Washington's birthday in 1885. Link
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Hmm, we should have a federal teacher's day, too.
                          In Canada it was Family Day. Teachers were off, government workers were not. We had mail delivery, too.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner
                            Jesus, Mith, sorry you don't have a life.
                            Winner.
                            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Hmm, we should have a federal teacher's day, too.
                              they should be content to allow their inspiring service to make every day a holiday.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I don't think anyone's making the argument that we need less paid holidays. So what's to question? i'm ready to have a holiday for MLK day, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X