Thoughts on Trayvon and Zimmerman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Trayvon and Zimmerman...

Surprised this hasn't been talked about.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

My thoughts are Zimmerman is a douche wannabe cop who was way into being a neighborhood watchman and Trayvon isn't some innocent looking 17 year old that the media is portraying by using photos of him when he was 12. Both parties probably could have prevented what happened that night, but no one really knows what happened other than Zimmerman. That doesn't matter to the millions who already convicted Zimmerman based on rumors, half truths and obvious race baiting. The usual suspects are jumping on the train to further their agendas. Sharpton Jackson etc. Hell even Obama chimed in when he shouldn't have, but he's pandering to his base or as he put people that look like him.

It's amazing how both Zimmerman and Martin both became shape shifters throughout this trial by media.

Comment

I think the last few days of conflicting information justify why we haven't jumped into talking about this yet. Regardless of where we end up on the facts as things shake out, I do think there are legitimate concerns about the "Stand Your Ground" law in practice, and I do think there are legitimate concerns about the perils of growing up Black and male in America, for which there is always plenty of blame, both legitimate and questionable, to go around. As for Zimmerman, what does seem pretty clear is that he acted recklessly in disregarding the 911 operator's sage advice that he not engage, and that it led to the tragic death of Trayvon Martin. What did or did not occur in those intervening moments we may never know.

Comment

Zimmerman was told by the cops not to pursue. he did anyways and someone died. clearly, something is wrong about that.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with b-fly and nullnor. Until we get the truth (which we'll never get), how can we honestly pass judgment? The facts we do have are from the 9-1-1 call and Zimmerman was advised to stand down. Because of this, I'm surprised Zimmerman isn't at least facing a reckless endangerment charge.
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Zimmerman was told by the 911 dispatcher not to pursue, not the cops

He's going to walk

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              Zimmerman was told by the 911 dispatcher not to pursue, not the cops

He's going to walk
              If he does, he'll have to move and change his name. Too many people out there are going to make it their calling to hunt him down and kill him if he walks.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This is all happening 10 miles from my house

Between Casey Anthony & this situation, it's no wonder I hate this place

Comment

Law enforcement is almost universally opposed to the stand your ground laws. The entire south (except Arkansas) has enacted some form of the law. Arkansas still imposes a legal duty to retreat, provided you can do so with reasonable safety. You don't have to retreat if you are in your own home, though (castle doctrine). In Arkansas, Zimmerman would be jammed up bad, since he followed the kid. Plus, in Arkansas if a person claims self-defense, it is considered an affirmative defense and must be proven. With the Florida law, a defendant doesn't have the same burden. If a defendant there can convince a judge that his fear was justified, he doesn't have to stand trial.

Law enforcement typically oppose anything that puts guns into the hands of civilians outside their homes. The carry laws that became so popular in the 90s were strongly opposed by the nation's police chiefs. They didn't want untrained people out there in the streets with lethal weapons.

For the entire ten years I was a prosecutor here in Columbia County, I helped teach the gun permit courses...not because I was necessarily in favor of the carry law, but because I wanted to be sure the applicants had an opportunity to learn the legal limitations on the use of deadly force and the potential liabilities which could result. Most of the people had what I considered to be legitimate reasons for seeking a carry permit (many job-related), but there were several I feared were just itching for the opportunity to use their firearms.

On the Martin/Zimmerman issue, it's hard to know what to say right now with the limited facts we have. It's tragic, and you have to feel for the family of Martin and the family of Zimmerman. My guess is that he'll never be prosecuted, but there will be some pressure to amend the stand your ground law. I predict it will not be amended, though. Nobody wants to look like a wussy in an election year.

I was not surprised to learn that of the 90+ instances of the law being applied, 60+ of the other guys were killed. I don't know the facts of all of these, of course, but I can certainly see how being the only living witness to the incident has its advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Law enforcement typically oppose anything that puts guns into the hands of civilians outside their homes. The carry laws that became so popular in the 90s were strongly opposed by the nation's police chiefs. They didn't want untrained people out there in the streets with lethal weapons.
                    And justified their opposition with dire warnings of large increases in violent gun crime, none of which have materialized in concealed carry states.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      This is all happening 10 miles from my house

Between Casey Anthony & this situation, it's no wonder I hate this place
                      move?
                      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Comment

NPR did a story questioning the reliability of these statistics due to under-reporting by police departments due to incentives.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
                            move?
                            He might wind up where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              If he does, he'll have to move and change his name. Too many people out there are going to make it their calling to hunt him down and kill him if he walks.
                              Eh, Casey Anthony is still alive. So are the cops that beat Rodney King.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X