Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    What do you feel about those who've never had to work at all because they were born into wealth?
    So they got lucky. Life is not fair and govt shouldnt be taking what they have to make life fair for others. I would hope that they would be interested in working and being productive.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      So they got lucky. Life is not fair and govt shouldnt be taking what they have to make life fair for others. I would hope that they would be interested in working and being productive.
      Infrastructure and defense. Infrastructure includes police, fire and courts? Or would those become privatized? Somebody has to keep everyone else from stealing your stuff.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        Infrastructure and defense. Infrastructure includes police, fire and courts? Or would those become privatized? Somebody has to keep everyone else from stealing your stuff.
        what does this have to do with what you quoted? Looks like you're just picking on BG.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
          What are you getting at - related to whether someone who is rich decides to work or not?

I have stated in the past that the government should be responsible for Infrastructure and National Defense. Though I dont know how it applies here.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Curious, but for those who believe some form of "the poor are that way because of poor work ethic", do you believe that the wealthy are that way because of a better work ethic? It is something of a common theme to hear some variation of, well if "they" would work harder, they could get ahead and afford all these things that I have. This line of thinking relies on assumptions aplenty, but basically comes down to I have stuff, I have stuff, I worked hard for this stuff, therefore you could do the same. We could discuss that line of thought, as it is full of holes, and simply ignores the most basic law of the universe, that the hardest job in the world is the working poor with children at home, and trying to make it paycheck to paycheck.

But lets touch on healthcare, which is responsible for more personal bankruptcies than any other reason in the U.S. Bernie often states U.S. is only major country in the world that does not offer its people universal health coverage. Which is odd as U.S. also spends most per capita on health coverage. Monstrous inefficiencies are at play, not just from entire office buildings devoted to billing/coding to make each aspirin dispensed in a hospital that wholesales for 5 cents billed at $5, but also from healthcare ceo salaries, pulling up a chart of top 20 healthcare ceo compensation shows yearly take of between 15 million and 48 million.

A quick google search of Map of the Countries That Provide Universal Health Care (America's Still Not on It), shows a map with green countries being covered, and grey not, and "What's astonishing is how cleanly the green and grey separate the developed nations from the developing, almost categorically. Nearly the entire developed world is colored, from Europe to the Asian powerhouses to South America's southern cone to the Anglophone states of Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. The only developed outliers are a few still-troubled Balkan states, the Soviet-style autocracy of Belarus, and the U.S. of A., the richest nation in the world."

Comment

So those who got unlucky are being held to a different standard as well as being unlucky?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                what does this have to do with what you quoted? Looks like you're just picking on BG.
                Follow the conversation........
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So those who got unlucky are being held to a different standard as well as being unlucky?
                  What standard is being held? Like I said, I would love to see the poor provided opportunities to learn a trade and better their lot in life by having better jobs available, so they can better themselves.

I stated I would like the rich kids to be interested in working also. In the ever continuing saga of life not being fair - we dont all start at the same spot - it is just a fact of life. As long as people have equal opportunities for growth then I am good.

I dont look for the equality of outcome - I want the equality of opportunity.

Comment

What standard is being held? Like I said, I would love to see the poor provided opportunities to learn a trade and better their lot in life by having better jobs available, so they can better themselves.

I stated I would like the rich kids to be interested in working also. In the ever continuing saga of life not being fair - we dont all start at the same spot - it is just a fact of life. As long as people have equal opportunities for growth then I am good.

And you think that people have equality of opportunity?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

And you think that people have equality of opportunity?
                      I would like it to be better - but I feel giving people the opportunity to be more self-determined and own their success is better option - than the government having to take care of a large segment of society (racial make up is irrelevant - poor knows all races).

Comment

In the ever continuing saga of life not being fair - we dont all start at the same spot - it is just a fact of life. As long as people have equal opportunities for growth then I am good.

well said.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I would like it to be better - but I feel giving people the opportunity to be more self-determined and own their success is better option - than the government having to take care of a large segment of society (racial make up is irrelevant - poor knows all races).
                          That's a noble sentiment, here's something you should try until opportunity is truly equal. Support programs that fill that equity gap and advocate for that equality and once it exists and I mean REAL equality of opportunity, then go back to your mindset of--everyone needs to make their own way, which if Opportunity presented itself equitably, we'd have an easier time ferreting out the freeloaders from those truly unfortunate and in real need.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

well said.
                            When the Cowboys have auditions for cheerleaders, please make sure to attend--I believe you've found your calling.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Tell that to the children living in poverty, undernourished, and attending shitty schools because of the same mindset that you espouse that has gutted funding for programs helping their parents.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

well said.
                                Keep deluding yourself that we're providing equal opportunity in this country.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X