Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    BG, why is it that every other industrial nation is able to offer single-payer yet we can't? Is it the government's fault? Really? Or maybe it's the lobbies that represent the various corporations that run our health care system that have bought off enough officials to ensure they get to continue making millions on the suffering of others. Mostly Republicans in case that isn't obvious.
    Whether they are R or D makes no difference to me. If our government is set up in a way that the lobbies can essentially own the representatives of their choice - wouldnt that be a problem with our government? You want to blame the lobbies - I want to blame the government officials that we elect to serve in our best interests that have apparently sold out.

It is a wonderful thing - not supporting either major party. Both have sold out and I get to freely call it out - as I have been for almost 20 years now. If the government is not working the way it should - Why would entrusting them with this possibly be the solution? You are asking the people benefiting the most to stop the train that is putting money in their pockets either over or under the table.

Obamacare was an abject failure because 'the rich keep getting richer' and 'the middle class are paying for it all'.

I just dont see more government as the answer to many problems at all.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      And you don't think Big Pharma has anything to do with it?
      You keep making my point. Big Pharma owns the people that sets the rules (getting rich in the process). Why do you believe that giving the govt more control is a good thing when they have screwed it up so poorly already?
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        Is that supposed to make him a hero?
        Quite honestly I never have visited the Breitbart site. Shapiro has stated that Bannon is pretty much the worst human he has ever met. I dont agree with him on everything, but I do think less regulation and more competition are good things in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          You can't pick and choose and you know that, you're just bitching because you don't agree with how it's spent. Again, if I have to tolerate Defense spending, you have to tolerate paying for my grandpa's heart transplant.
          I believe I stated earlier that Governments should be spending on Infrastructure and Defense. I dont like the level of govt spending on Defense, but it is one of the two things I think they should spend on - so I will pay the freight. I dont believe the govt should be paying for anyones heart transplant - even mine!

Comment

• I hate to keep kicking Ben Shapiro, but this guy says things that are just way over-the-top. This is from his supposedly serious book on the criminal case against Obama:

There has never been worship for a president like the worship for President Obama. It is not merely political admiration; it borders on the psychosexual. The 2012 Democratic National Convention featured the wholesale abandonment of the donkey logo for the Democratic Party, supplanted instead by the fascist-nouveaux Obama logo, complete with a blue O overarching a subjected-but-celebrating red population. A giant sand statue of Obama adorned the sidewalk near the arena. Teary-eyed women wearing homemade Obama T-shirts thronged together, cheering wildly for abortion—not for the right to choose, but for the moral righteousness of the murder of the unborn. Street vendors selling gear plastered with Obama’s visage—illegally, no doubt, and without any taxes paid—grinned as they passed out the outerwear of redistributionism. Posters of Barack and Michelle adorned the streets like paintings of Mary and Joseph in Rome. While Bill Clinton drew attention for his presence, it was Obama who drew obeisance."

The emphasis is mine. I've read a lot of books on legal subjects, but they typically do not rely upon this type of language to make their arguments.
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
              I hate to keep kicking Ben Shapiro, but this guy says things that are just way over-the-top. This is from his supposedly serious book on the criminal case against Obama:

There has never been worship for a president like the worship for President Obama. It is not merely political admiration; it borders on the psychosexual. The 2012 Democratic National Convention featured the wholesale abandonment of the donkey logo for the Democratic Party, supplanted instead by the fascist-nouveaux Obama logo, complete with a blue O overarching a subjected-but-celebrating red population. A giant sand statue of Obama adorned the sidewalk near the arena. Teary-eyed women wearing homemade Obama T-shirts thronged together, cheering wildly for abortion—not for the right to choose, but for the moral righteousness of the murder of the unborn. Street vendors selling gear plastered with Obama’s visage—illegally, no doubt, and without any taxes paid—grinned as they passed out the outerwear of redistributionism. Posters of Barack and Michelle adorned the streets like paintings of Mary and Joseph in Rome. While Bill Clinton drew attention for his presence, it was Obama who drew obeisance."

The emphasis is mine. I've read a lot of books on legal subjects, but they typically do not rely upon this type of language to make their arguments.
              I cant wait to read excepts from the coming Trump books written by liberals. I'm sure they will be so much better.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• http://cdnph.upi.com/ph/st/th/624813...-rain.jpg?lg=5

Quite possibly the worst sand sculpture ever. From a story about how it survived the rain.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  Actually I do get it. You want everyone to have great medical coverage. I think that is laudable. Until such time that our gov't is not owned by big pharma and other companies - we will never have medical coverage that doesnt line the pockets of investors with dividends, stock options and bonuses - at the expense of all of us paying it.

So unless you deal with the causes of why medical insurance is so damned expensive like:
                  MASSIVE Collusion
                  Drug Patents and Generics
                  Hospitals and Medical Centers over billing

you cant get "cheaper" insurance. The whole program is owned by a government that has no actual interest in moving away from what already exists in order to ensure profits continue. Whole sectors of our financial markets are based on health care and insurance, making a large change to an essentially not for profit service will likely affect our economy and your 401k. You want this to happen, I would say you should divest any of your assets in these markets as a protest to the existing policies.

I want to say this again - I am not necessarily against Single Payer - I just dont believe it is some magic pill that fixes everything.
                  What you see as Govt's failing I see as Corporate overreach. Maybe they're now one in the same. Maybe we're blaming the same people.

Bottomline, making money off people's health needs to stop.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

In the future please quote me correctly!

I stated the following:
                    "I dont want out of the social contract. I want to be able to participate where I see the need. The govt taking my money for programs - many of which I dislike - makes it less possible for me to apply my funds to places where I see need or have a passion to help with.

Which is fucking shit ton different than 'I just want to participate when it works for me'.

If I want to then support research in medical marijuana more actively I can.
                    If I want to then support programs that encourage education in the trades I can.
                    If I want to then support programs that aid in alzheimer's research, or breast cancer, or whatever other health or social concerns I have I can.
                    the sentiments, What works for me and where I see the need are one in the same.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The govt allows the lengthy patents that other countries dont.
                      20 years is lengthy?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        I cant wait to read excepts from the coming Trump books written by liberals. I'm sure they will be so much better.
                        Oh, I'm sure there will be some crazy ones. Madcap tales of the bizarre, told in the most colorful terms.

But this is supposed to be a serious guy who has chosen to write a serious book about an administration that had become a "full-fledged criminal enterprise". Posting to a blog is one thing. But if you are writing as a lawyer, you can't expect to be taken seriously if you spend your time flinging red meat.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I believe I stated earlier that Governments should be spending on Infrastructure and Defense. I dont like the level of govt spending on Defense, but it is one of the two things I think they should spend on - so I will pay the freight. I dont believe the govt should be paying for anyones heart transplant - even mine!
                          Again--you don't get to pick and choose just because you support one thing over another. It's all the same contract.

You do have the right to bitch about it.

Just don;t think many if any will (except maybe CBB) share to your point of view

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            What's there to write? Just make a collection of his tweets and actual statements and you have a best seller.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

http://cdnph.upi.com/ph/st/th/624813...-rain.jpg?lg=5

Quite possibly the worst sand sculpture ever. From a story about how it survived the rain.
                              Hyperbolic much?

It's not great, but is it the worst ever?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                What you see as Govt's failing I see as Corporate overreach. Maybe they're now one in the same. Maybe we're blaming the same people.

Bottomline, making money off people's health needs to stop.
                                I think BG would agree that you're blaming the same people. He just looks at as government being bought by big corporations, both Dems and Reps.
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X