Hunger Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghuda View Post
    Has anyone read the Steven King (I think he published it under Richard Bachman) short story - "The Long Walk".

Kind of a stretch - but futuristic game show/public event where 'contestants' die. One of my favorite Steven King stories.
    Absolutely. I have never read or heard anything about it until this weekend. As my friend described it, he mentioned 'The Running Man' which is why I posted that earlier. My response was, "it actually sounds more like 'The Long Walk'", which is also one of my favorites. Along with 'The Jaunt'.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Was always partial to Roald Dahl as a kid. Danny the Champion of the World was my favorite.
      He's always been my favorite.

Hey, you need to get a copy of Wildwood:

Comment

Has anyone read the Steven King (I think he published it under Richard Bachman) short story - "The Long Walk".

Kind of a stretch - but futuristic game show/public event where 'contestants' die. One of my favorite Steven King stories.
        Yep, "The Long Walk" was great, same book had "Stand By Me" in it, right?
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          He's always been my favorite.

Hey, you need to get a copy of Wildwood:
          I recall reading about this somewhere ... probably a Colin Meloy interview or review. The illustrations look terrific ... reminds me a bit of Henri Rousseau.

Comment

I recall reading about this somewhere ... probably a Colin Meloy interview or review. The illustrations look terrific ... reminds me a bit of Henri Rousseau.
            More Ben Shahn, Edward Gorey, Sendak. Email me your address and I'll send you one.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
              More Ben Shahn, Edward Gorey, Sendak. Email me your address and I'll send you one.
              I don't really follow graphic art at all ... but I was pulled along to practically every art gallery / opening in London for about 10 years. Most of the time the art was good (edited from "great" ... just not true), occasionally it was horrifyingly awful (Brit art wannabes) ... especially having to smile and politely make small talk with hipsters about art you wouldn't piss on if it was on fire ... just in case you saved it from the oblivion it deserved.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                Umm I think it was out of 'The Bachman Books'. It has the Running man in it I'm pretty sure, And 2 other stories.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Absolutely. I have never read or heard anything about it until this weekend. As my friend described it, he mentioned 'The Running Man' which is why I posted that earlier. My response was, "it actually sounds more like 'The Long Walk'", which is also one of my favorites. Along with 'The Jaunt'.
                  Haven't read 'The Jaunt' but i think i must

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    WELL, HOT DAMN! That was one kickass movie. Just watched the matinee. Absolutely true to the books and really well done. Definitely a must see!
                    Almost went to see it today on account of this thread ... def on the to-do list. Also want to see 21 Jump Street ... seen some good review scores (which I didn't expect based on the previews)

Comment

I'm sure I'll see the movie, but I was only mildly entertained by the book (it struck me as a young adult female version of The Running Man or The Long Walk, thus it wasn't really targeted to me). I understand the appeal, especially to women, but it's not really my bag, baby.

And yes, Ghuda, I have read The Long Walk, and it is fantastic. Where Hunger Games always felt like it was pulling its punches for a young audience, King's story never felt that way and it ended up being very visceral because of it. I'm a big fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        The one that had Stand by Me (The Body) I think was called "Different Seasons" or something like that. It had Apt Pupil, which was made into a film, and another story that became The Shawshank Redemption. Quite a book.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          WELL, HOT DAMN! That was one kickass movie. Just watched the matinee. Absolutely true to the books and really well done. Definitely a must see!
                          My son felt the same way, and this was the boy whole was actually pissed off after the percy jackson movie because "it was nothing like the book"
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

i always thought it's a good thing the first story Rage in the Bachman Books never caught on as highschool required reading. but all i got to say about that book is G..A..R.R.I.T...Y!!!!
                            Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            The reviews I've read would seem to place these books in the world of literature (e.g., Lord of the Flies) rather than just YA pulp (e.g., Twilight), so I'll accept their wide popularity as a good thing, considering how many kids read so little.
                            kind of like poetry vs lyrics in a rock band. it's a lot closer call than you think. you got to start somewhere. on kid books to movies i like S. E. Hinton. the 2nd book i read in 2 nights. watershipdown should be up there too. it's harder to get males to read than females. i suppose females could like watershipdown tho even there weren't many female rabbits. there was only Hyzenthlay
                            A doe; she is one of the representative leaders of a group who unsuccessfully tried to convince General Woundwort to extend the warren due to overcrowding. She is thought of by Bigwig as a smart, sensible doe and he depends on her to help him and nine other does escape from Efrafra...In the animated movie adaption, Hyzenthlay is given a role in luring the dog back to the warren, being the last in the relay. The dog becomes distracted and nearly catches Blackberry, but Hyzenthlay saves his life by regaining the dog's attention.
                            I have to admit I'm not in tune with a lot of children's / teen literature these days. My 11 year old niece was round last month, and I asked her what she was reading. She said, I'm reading the new Jacqueline Wilson book for school ... it's about this girl whose Daddy leaves the family and runs off to Spain to open a bar. Mummy is a depressed alcoholic and the girl has to take responsibility to help her younger brothers and sisters.

So not like The Famous Five then ...
                            i never understood the whole flowers in the attic thing. but Kristy Swanson is a babe.

Comment

Great story.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                                Great story.
                                It's possible that The Long Walk is my favorite Stephen King book of all-time. It's definitely top three along with Gerald's Game and The Stand (honorable mention goes to Eyes of the Dragon).

Still haven't seen Hunger Games yet, but holy hell did it do well at the box office. It's definitely going to get both of its sequels made in film format now. $155 million in one weekend is f'ing preposterous, much less in March!

Comment

Working...
                                X