Unions under Attack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post

BTW, In fourth grade I made a paper mache volcano and received an A, but that doesn’t make me a volcanologist. I kid, I kid
    Say, were you ever on The Brady Bunch?

Comment

• Has MSNBSad recovered from this crushing defeat yet?
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        Has MSNBSad recovered from this crushing defeat yet?
        The chasm between the coverage on Morning Joe on Wednesday (Scarborough was off) and the coverage on Fox and Fools was wide.
        Howard Dean was acting like it was a win for Obama while the Fox people were acting like he should probably just concede the race now.
        Those two networks really just keep drifting to their respective extremes.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
          The chasm between the coverage on Morning Joe on Wednesday (Scarborough was off) and the coverage on Fox and Fools was wide.
          Howard Dean was acting like it was a win for Obama while the Fox people were acting like he should probably just concede the race now.
          Yeah, there's a lot of agenda-driven muck to wade through on this one. It's hard to separate how much of this was the electorate supporting Scott Walker and his governance vs. how much was the electorate spurning the recall strategy.

To whatever degree it was the former, I can see why Democratics come out of this feeling nervous about voters rejecting their "heartless out-of-touch douchebag corporate pawn" narrative and rewarding a guy who had the stones to make severe and politically risky decisions to restore some fiscal sanity to government.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• as I discussed with a very pro-Walker buddy of mine here in FL, the out-of-state money that flowed in here was nuts. Walker had 8x money on hand than Barrett and 75% of his funds came in from super PACs.

Exit polling showed Obama up +8 for the general even though Walker was +8 in this recall. At least the Senate is back in blue so Walker is neutered the rest of the way but the damage has been done, especially to the schools I work with.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
              Disconnecting my cable a few months ago was the best move I ever made

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                as I discussed with a very pro-Walker buddy of mine here in FL, the out-of-state money that flowed in here was nuts. Walker had 8x money on hand than Barrett and 75% of his funds came in from super PACs.
                Yep, Team Democrat woke the dragon with the recall nonsense. They'll never say it publicly, but behind closed doors, they've got to know they made a huge mistake picking this fight the way they did.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  "restore fiscal sanity"

LOL
                  He eliminated a 3.6 billion dollar deficit. Snark about it all you want, call it whatever you like, but that's the fact, Jack.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                    He eliminated a 3.6 billion dollar deficit. Snark about it all you want, call it whatever you like, but that's the fact, Jack.
                    I'd like to see exactly what programs he cut, who bore the brunt of paying the debt and if the top 5%-10% in wealth were affected at all.

I mean, you can rid yourself of a tumor in your foot by cutting off your leg, that's a fact. But is it smart? Is it the best move?

3.6 Billion had to come from somewhere--I'd wager the burden was carried by the underclasses. But that's just a guess.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Ain't no fact at all, Jack. Just another false claim by a pathological liar. Plenty of sources out there confirm this, but here's one I found on my phone....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...udget-deficit/
                      Yep, there is, of course, the usual political jockeying over the exact details, but if you believe Politifact, there was a unquestionably a three-and-a-half-ish billion dollar deficit when he got there, and the vast majority of it has been eliminated under his governorship. The voters of Wisconsin acknowledged that, whether you choose to or not.

Comment

• He is now requiring teachers and educational professionals to pay a higher percentage into their health and retirement funds (but not requiring district to do it) so every educator is now taking a paycut after not receiving raises for several years. In some areas, it equates to a 2K paycut. Same thing Gov Scott did here in FL. In the county north of me, they had gone FIVE years without raises, and then a similar law past and everyone took at least a $500 paycut here in year 6.

Comment

He is now requiring teachers and educational professionals to pay a higher percentage into their health and retirement funds (but not requiring district to do it) so every educator is now taking a paycut after not receiving raises for several years. In some areas, it equates to a 2K paycut. Same thing Gov Scott did here in FL. In the county north of me, they had gone FIVE years without raises, and then a similar law past and everyone took at least a $500 paycut here in year 6.
                          Same thing here in Colorado. I haven't had a raise in the three and half years I've been working here, despite performance evaluations that qualify me, and I've had my healthcare and retirement contributions increased three times. I guess I could curse my (Democratic) governor, but that's just how things are when the economy is in the toilet. It sucks. Things are tough everywhere - Scott Walker didn't invent this stuff. It isn't exactly the days of wine and roses for the rank and file in the private sector, either.

Comment

He is now requiring teachers and educational professionals to pay a higher percentage into their health and retirement funds (but not requiring district to do it) so every educator is now taking a paycut after not receiving raises for several years. In some areas, it equates to a 2K paycut. Same thing Gov Scott did here in FL. In the county north of me, they had gone FIVE years without raises, and then a similar law past and everyone took at least a $500 paycut here in year 6.
                            Fair enough, but what's your solution? Should we raise property taxes (again) so these folks can get a raise and pay what they used to pay into their health and retirement? Should we have a special tax on just those folks making over $X/yr? Special local tax on sale of goods and services?
                            I'm open to hearing suggestions.

Comment

Hey, when you deviate from Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures anything is possible.

Milwaukee and Wisconsin news, sports, business, opinion, entertainment, lifestyle and investigative reporting from the Journal Sentinel and JSOnline.com.

Guy is a total clown.
                              Had he not deviated from GAAP, even deeper cuts would have been required to balance the budget. Politifact's explanation makes sense to me:

Linky - http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...isconsins-36-/

I think their representation is fair - he's neither the savior Republicans pretend he is, nor the destroyer Democrats pretend he is. As controversial and risky and severe as some of his solutions were, he at least acknowledged and actually did something about the budget deficits he faced, in contrast to the "See No Evil" budget paralysis we see elsewhere at state and federal levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                I'd like to see exactly what programs he cut, who bore the brunt of paying the debt and if the top 5%-10% in wealth were affected at all.

I mean, you can rid yourself of a tumor in your foot by cutting off your leg, that's a fact. But is it smart? Is it the best move?

3.6 Billion had to come from somewhere--I'd wager the burden was carried by the underclasses. But that's just a guess.
                                Heh. I always chuckle when newspaper headlines scream "Poor Hardest Hit By Budget Cuts!" Well, of course they are - the primary users of government services are obviously going to be most affected when when those services are reduced. That's why the goal of any government program should be reducing dependency, not expanding it. I'm astounded when people trumpet the expansion of programs like Food Stamps as a good thing. Continuous expansion of such programs is a mark of failure, not success.

Comment

Working...
                                X