Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Name Every Band/ Musical Artist You've Seen Perform Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Black Keys tonight (in Phoenix), El Ten Eleven tomorrow, John Fogerty next week. Been on a live music binge, getting as much in before baby #2 arrives.
    I am a bit jealous. Fogerty is one of the few left on my short list. Last time I looked he is not coming any where near Chicago or Milwaukee.

I like the Black Keys, but I am not sure enough to pay to see them.

I hope you have a great time at all of the shows.

I said this before but Congrats on baby #2. I was surprised on how much different things got with the second one. Certainly worth it, but very different. I am sure you will have a blast (and be challenged).

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I am a bit jealous. Fogerty is one of the few left on my short list. Last time I looked he is not coming any where near Chicago or Milwaukee.

I hope you have a great time at all of the shows.

I said this before but Congrats on baby #2. I was surprised on how much different things got with the second one. Certainly worth it, but very different. I am sure you will have a blast (and be challenged).
      Thanks Gregg. Yea that's been the consensus that I've heard from people with 2+ kids. I'm excited but a little nervous; we've been spoiled with our first so we've got our fingers crossed that our 2nd will be as easy to handle.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Some more jam bands added after I checked the lineup from the inaugural Bonnaroo in 2002: Particle
        One of my friends joined Particle in the midst of a raging drug and alcohol problem. Six months later, he quit and finally went to rehab.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Black Keys tonight (in Phoenix), El Ten Eleven tomorrow, John Fogerty next week. Been on a live music binge, getting as much in before baby #2 arrives.
          Jealous that you actually have the choice. Belfast is like a musical black hole except for the festivals in August ... saw 2/3 bands I really wanted to see in the first few months here, and nothing significant since.

Comment

Thanks Gregg. Yea that's been the consensus that I've heard from people with 2+ kids. I'm excited but a little nervous; we've been spoiled with our first so we've got our fingers crossed that our 2nd will be as easy to handle.
            as the proud father of three, let me suggest you stop at 2....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              That has also been a common theme. We're having another girl so we have discussed whether we want to try again for a boy. I'm leaning no.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse on Monday, I find it difficult to fathom a 66 year old still rocking that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  As a father of three as well...let me support the above statement!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                    As a father of three as well...let me support the above statement!!!!
                    Looks like we have another member of FOG in the making. Of course it is not official until Oct. 26th (surprises happen could be a boy). DMT will make a fine addition to our FOG (Fathers Of Girls) club.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Fogerty isn't a definite since he's playing the 18th. Black Keys rocked the house, definitely worth seeing live if you like their music.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Looks like we have another member of FOG in the making. Of course it is not official until Oct. 26th (surprises happen could be a boy). DMT will make a fine addition to our FOG (Fathers Of Girls) club.
                        Did you guys have special jackets made?
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Concerts where I went in with no expectations and they turned out to be awesome:

1. The Judybats, The 23 East Cabaret, Ardmore, PA, 1993. I knew very little about them other than they had put out two albums and the singles from them were pleasant folk-rock. When they came to this tiny club outside Philly, a high school buddy asked me to go with him. Turned out it wasn't because he was interested in the band, but because a girl he was interested in was gonna be there, and he wanted a wingman. Ha! Their set began with about five songs of pleasant folk-rock, and then it transformed into a high-energy dance party, highlighted by some excellent vamps from their yet-to-be-released third album. (That record, Pain Makes You Beautiful, is brilliant, and remains one of my favorites from the '90s). Frontman Jeff Heiskell told all kinds of outrageous jokes and stories, and by the end of the night (capped off with a cover of the disco classic "Take Your Time (Do It Right)"), I was totally hooked. I saw them twice more before they broke up a year later.

2. King Missile, Campus Club, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 1991. This was a year before "Detachable Penis," so I had no idea who they were. They came to my eating club (kind of like a frat but co-ed and without the douchey parts) my junior of college. More than 100 people crowded into a space the size of a living room as they played in front of a fireplace. They mixed warped garage rock with outrageous noise-backed poetry, and John S. Hall's facility with words blew my mind. At one point, he left the room during an instrumental break and asked me how to use the juice machine, then rambled to me for a while about his love of cranberry juice. I saw them twice after "Detachable Penis" hit, obviously in much larger venues, once on a bill with The Judybats, ironically.

3. Elvis Costello and Alain Toussaint, The Beacon Theatre, New York, NY, 2006. This was a last-minute invite from a friend who wanted someone to go with her. I was familiar with their material but not a die-hard follower of either, and I hadn't heard the album they had just put out together, so I didn't know what to expect. It was an incredible night of rock and soul. You might not think the blending of The Attractions with Toussaint's horn section would work, but it did, spectacularly. Nor would you think Costello staples like "Alison" and "Pump It Up" would fit in a set with Toussaint classics like "On Your Way Down" and "Yes We Can Can," but they did, thanks to the arranging talents of both men. Costello was in great spirits all night, and his enthusiasm carried over into everyone's playing, which lasted for almost three hours, including an 11-song double encore.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I'm also currently a member of the FOG and I think we are stopping at 2. We haven't made up our minds yet. But I'm 39 and she'll be 37 in February and our youngest is only 10 weeks old, so time may be the ultimate decision maker.

Switching back on topic, I've attempted to construct a list of shows I can remember. I used to keep all my ticket stubs somewhere.

ZZ Top - first concert - Meadowlands - Aug of '91
                            Hall & Oates - front row at the Sands in AC, fall of '91
                            Soundgarden, Guns n Roses - Spectrum, fall of '91
                            Faith No More, Metallica, Guns n Roses - Giants Stadium, July of '92 - Metallica was ridiculous - this was NOT the show where Axel stormed off stage, but GnR was very flat
                            U2 - Zoo Station tour at old Yankee Stadium - Aug 22 '92
                            Curtis Steigers, Eric Clapton, Elton John - at Shea Stadium - Aug 29 '92 - went with my mom, dad and 5 friends - dad was rockin' out to Clapton - was asleep(!) 3 songs into Elton John - (the best part is that he was only 41 at the time)

after that, my chronological recollection gets a little hazy. I know I've seen the following:
                            Susan Tedeschi
                            Jonny Lang
                            Buddy Guy (3x)
                            Kenny Wayne Shepherd
                            Van Halen (with Gary Sharone)
                            Some lame 80s revival tour (late 90s) with Foreigner, Rick Springfield, Starship (no Grace Slick), Eddie Money and one other 80s band
                            John Mellencamp
                            Clapton and Jeff Beck at MSG
                            Beck at Town Hall in NYC - one of the best shows ever
                            Woodstock '99
                            Queens of the Stone Age - multiple times - I was sharing a house with a guy who worked for their promoter, so I actually got to hang out on the their tour bus once before they were famous
                            Radiohead
                            Beastie Boys & Rage Against the Machine
                            Rush
                            Black Crowes
                            Smithereens
                            Screaming Cheetah Wheelies
                            Toad the Wet Sprocket
                            Letters to Cleo
                            Milla Jovovich
                            Buck Cherry (sucked)
                            Foo Fighters
                            Live
                            Smashing Pumpkins

I know there's so many more. Definitely forgetting the smaller venue shows and such.

Edit to add as I remember others:
                            Robert Plant and Jimmy Page
                            Billy Joel
                            Allman Brothers at the Beacon
                            CSN
                            India Arie at Radio City
                            Last edited by Long John; 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM.
                            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Now I can cross Dinosaur Jr. off my "90's Bands I Missed In The 90's" list. Good show. I think they broke my ears.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Now I can cross Dinosaur Jr. off my "90's Bands I Missed In The 90's" list. Good show. I think they broke my ears.
                                Unless I'm at an outdoor venue, earplugs are mandatory.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X