So what has Riff Raff been up to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what has Riff Raff been up to?

It has been nice to be back on the board this past week. Sometimes a lengthy break can be healthy. Stoked for the RJ Highball Hoops league again this year!

Given my heavy involvement (and IIRC over 15 posts) on the old forum some may wonder where I directed my energy over the past 15-18 months.

Spring/Summer 2010. Marielle and I focus on selling our house quickly and buying a home together. We got our dream house a mere 15 minute walk to work and moved in. We also spent 3+ months updating the last place to ensure we could sell it fast and it worked out.

We also saved a whopping $9300 importing a Subaru Outback from the U.S. I doubt we will ever buy in Canada again. This 20-30% tacked onto commercial goods up here is ridiculous.

Autumn 2010. You will notice the links above - they are articles on the website we created: Sustainable Personal Finance. It has been a crazy 1st year - mentions by the Globe and Mail and Time.com. We were also nominated for best Canadian Personal Finance (PF) blog (Globe and Mail again) and actually won a PF blogging award as the best Green / Sustainable PF site. The side income from making money online via the site has been a pleasant if not unexpected surprise.

Winter 2011. We learned that we will be parents! At the end of September we would have our first child. STOKED! Marielle also competes for the job she has been acting in when it is posted as a permanent position. She was suffering through morning sickness but she still kicked butt. We now both have pensions, benefits and good jobs that afford us the ability to live pretty well in the small city we live in.

Spring / Summer 2011. No major events. Marielle is pregnant. We took a road trip to Chincoteague Virginia in June. Very hot but a nice getaway.

Autumn 2011. Our son, Izaak, is born at the end of September! Marielle is 1/2 Dutch, so we went with that version of the name. We used a midwife for the birth and he was delivered, healthy, at a weight of 6 lbs 12 oz. He is a wonder to us and we're so happy to be parents!

We also celebrate our 2nd year of marriage. Lastly, we are celebrating our 1 year anniversary of the blog, and we're giving away and iPad2 with a few accessories and some green/eco tech gadgets (or cash if you prefer). $1200 in prizes in total. We also "came out" and are no longer blogging anonymously.

We'd love for some RJ folks to check out our site, if you care to. Also, please enter the giveaway (and promote!). While you see over 2000 entries, each person entering the contest can get 17 entries in total (max). Good chances to get some neat stuff before Christmas.

Simon
    Last edited by Riff Raff; 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM.

Holy crap, that's a lot of exciting stuff in the span of a year and a half! Congrats on all the good news and success...now hurry up, it's your turn in the (insert random nonsensical subject here) draft!

Comment

Wait, I can tout my blog here?

Just kidding, that all sounds very exciting.
      Congratulations, and thanks for checking in and maybe posting a bit here and there.

This place never seems to have enough Riff Raff...
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

There is more (retrofit of the house, running a folk music festival (parking for 1000 cars in hilly fields is a chore!), Marielle's Opa passed on and other stuff too).

As for the draft - just waiting on RJ Hoops to get rollin'!

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        Holy crap, that's a lot of exciting stuff in the span of a year and a half! Congrats on all the good news and success...now hurry up, it's your turn in the (insert random nonsensical subject here) draft!

Comment

Perhaps I went a bit overboard. We are very proud of the site, and having a project we can work on together (that doesn't include home renos - but then, I wrote about that too - but at least I didn't pick up a hammer to do it!).

I plan to check in a little more often, time permitting. I think i'd like at add a 2nd Fantasy Baseball league this year.

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

Just kidding, that all sounds very exciting.
          Congratulations, and thanks for checking in and maybe posting a bit here and there.

This place never seems to have enough Riff Raff...

Comment

Ah, I was just teasing.
            Welcome back, and great to see the enthusiasm!
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

With all those embedded links, do you think Riff Raff likes peeples?

Welcome back, Simon! Now if we can just get the VD stuff going again, it will be like old times
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Riff Raff,

Good to see life has been treating you well.

And of course, it's great to have you back!

Hey, just my welcome.

Gris

Comment

Congats Simon.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    I usually do that when no one is around.
                    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

When you're on a rolll, you're on a roll. Great stuff

Comment

When you're a longtime member, you can promote your success and tell peoples how much you like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          When you're a longtime member, you can promote your success and tell peoples how much you like them.
                          Thanks MJ. I'm not sure I get this "peoples" reference, but hey, happily oblivious is nice now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                            Thanks MJ. I'm not sure I get this "peoples" reference, but hey, happily oblivious is nice now and then.
                            When we had a rash of spammers on the old site, they would use "I love peeples..." so it's our thing now when anyone spams. You're not spamming - you're promoting stuff to your friends here

Comment

Congrats! Maybe your boy and mine (born in April) can play in a fantasy league together in 20 years or so.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X