Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As the world's population hits 7 million ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    soilent green.
    Covered that.

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Make Room! Make Room!

J
    I have always taken exception to those that cry wolf, because there is a real chance that a genuine calamity will go unresponded. The world is not short on food, arible land or transportation. We would be able to support double our population with ease, if we lived in a logical world.

Food problems are predominantly political/financial. We cannot get food to those who are hungry without paying graft to the powers that be. Often, we cannot get tools to raise or prepare food where they need to go.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Covered that.

I have always taken exception to those that cry wolf, because there is a real chance that a genuine calamity will go unresponded. The world is not short on food, arible land or transportation. We would be able to support double our population with ease, if we lived in a logical world.

Food problems are predominantly political/financial. We cannot get food to those who are hungry without paying graft to the powers that be. Often, we cannot get tools to raise or prepare food where they need to go.

J
      this must be one of those convoluted analogies you're famous for that I can't understand, cause I agree with all of this. except for maybe the "with ease" line ... implementing the logical solutions wouldn't be easy ... heck, they're pretty much impossible given our current situation.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        this must be one of those convoluted analogies you're famous for that I can't understand, cause I agree with all of this. except for maybe the "with ease" line ... implementing the logical solutions wouldn't be easy ... heck, they're pretty much impossible given our current situation.
        If we had double the population, and the associated increased labor force and infrastructure, producing the food would be as simple as it is now. We are not in a limited situation.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

... and infrastructure ...
          there's the rub. can be done, yes, but not easy.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

in the future, our generations are going to be mocked for using petrocarbons for transport instead of for fertilizer........
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

there's the rub. can be done, yes, but not easy.
              You have generations to work on it. Infrastructure and population grow side by side. Ther are some kinks, true, but the flow is very parallel.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                in the future, our generations are going to be mocked for using petrocarbons for transport instead of for fertilizer........
                Why?

Petrocarbons make lousy fertilizers. Very short term thinking.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

yes, it adds new meaning to the already legendary "I like peeples" ...
                  Nia was hot
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

There are now 7 billion people, according to the U.N.'s population division. That prompts a question: Who else is in the 7 Billion Club? To learn which other animals had reached that plateau, we asked wildlife experts — who said it's a tough call.

The revelation this week that the Earth now holds 7 billion people, according to the U.N.'s population division, prompted a question: Who else is in the 7 Billion Club? To find out which other animals had reached that plateau, we asked wildlife experts — and they patiently explained why our innocent question was nearly impossible to answer.

But then the experts gave us some best guesses. And the consensus was that humans are the largest animals on the planet to have a population numbering at least 7 billion — but they're certainly not the only ones to reach that mark.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                    X