No announcement yet.

Would you risk your life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it depends on whether the stranger is a poster on rotojunkie.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

As far as risking my life to help out a random person I don't know and don't see, of which there are probably millions of opportunities to do around the world each day, I don't do that. I prefer to try to help my own family by serving them and loving them and helping them grow. And to help others, even strangers I don't ever see, by contributing to organizations that improve their chances over the long haul. But not by putting myself in harm's way. I think it would be hard to be a policeman or in some other function like that where one is constantly putting oneself at risk for the safety of others.

If there was an urgent situation with a stranger at grave risk of injury or death that presented itself suddenly and physically in front of me, I think my instinct would be to help, even at risk to myself. I don't think I could just coldly let someone die. Now if there was time to think and it was obvious that I could not do them any good and I would probably just be throwing my life away, I doubt I could do it. Then I would think about my own children being fatherless and let that dissuade me. If there was time to think and it was not obvious what the outcome would be, either for the stranger or for myself, I frankly don't know what I would do.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Given my past. I assume my reflex action would be to try to save the kid, but I would not expect to die.

If you are asking me right now to die for a child I have never met, then no.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Ok i said it might be ridiculous in my original post..but i get the feeling that you guys won't answer it because you wouldn't choose to save the kid. Just take any situation then, where you have time to think before you act. Would you save a stranger by risking your own life?
          If it is some random kid or me, no way, if it is my kid, yes...but as others have said, if I see a truck rolling towards some kid, I'm not calculating the angles, I'm going to try to grab him and assume I can get out of the way. I think I've posted before as to a couple of occasions where I've stepped in to either try to stop a purse snatching or deal with a tweaker trying to take a kid's dog, and in both cases I jumped in without really thinking...
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

You have a responsibility to your family. Having said that, if it were my son or daughter, there's no question. I'd be a heart donor if it was necessary to keep them alive. That's been the biggest lesson I've learned about fatherhood. They are the most precious thing in the world and worth any sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Way to not really answer the question guys come on would you or wouldn't you?
              Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343
              Number of NYPD officers: 23
              Number of Port Authority police officers: 37

Comment

Working...
              X