Would you risk your life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you risk your life?

The thread about the burning car being lifted off of the motorcyclist got me wondering. This maybe a ridiculous question, but...

Would you risk your life to help somebody you didn't know, if they were in a life -threatening situation?

Say a little kid was in the street and a big rig was bearing down on him and you had the opportunity to shove the kid out of the way in time, but you would get hit... thus saving his life, but probably ending yours..would you do it?

I guess the easy answer is to say "Of course I would", but if you did and died then you would leave your kids without a father..your wife without a husband..your parents without a son..and so on..so someone else could live. And if you didn't save the kid, how overwhelming would the guilt be? Could you comfortably live with the choice?

I realize thinking about how you would react and actually being faced with a situation are totally different animals, but how do you think you would react?

I don't think i could save the kid. Selfish? Maybe. But would you really give up everything you have for a stranger, even though it's a child? And leave your family with a lifetime of grief?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I do not think the process works like that. I think it is much more of a reflex action which has been programed/taught by our upbringing, belief system, etc.

I think those that put themselves in harms way to help strangers subconsciously believe they will also get out of the situation alive. I realize there are exceptions.

In your example, I believe if I have time to push the kid out of the way I also have the skill set to get out of the way. Of course now that I am older as I dive to push the kid out of the way we probably both get hit. I have lost a bit off my fastball.

I have been in situations where help has been needed. I have tried to help. They were mostly reflex actions with the emotions coming after the fact. A couple were dangerous but none of them have been extremely life threatening. So I do not really know the answer to your question.

Comment

well, that's two questions. 1) Would you risk your life and 2) Would you trade your life. I'm pretty sure I would risk my life for nearly anyone. I would only trade it for a very select few. I don't think you could *know* you would get hit by the truck so I think I would risk it and save the kid, hoping we would both survive it.

edit
      *** err... yeah, what gregg said better ***
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Yeah, I agree with Gregg, in a situation like that, it's not a thought process, it's a reflex. Either you do it or you don't.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

genetically the individual will always choose to save the group. if all things are equal it chooses youth.

information stored outside our genes in history can mitigate this. which is why group selection can be seen as dangerous.

Comment

Way to not really answer the question guys come on would you or wouldn't you?
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It's a silly question Mith...as nearly everyone has pointed out, these types of situations are instinct-based and can not be honestly premeditated.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                It's a silly question Mith...as nearly everyone has pointed out, these types of situations are instinct-based and can not be honestly premeditated.
                Ok i said it might be ridiculous in my original post..but i get the feeling that you guys won't answer it because you wouldn't choose to save the kid. Just take any situation then, where you have time to think before you act. Would you save a stranger by risking your own life?

Comment

Okay, what critical information are you leaving out?

Did the copier fall off the truck as the leasing company was taking it away, and you failed to dive in and push the little kid out of its way?
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    Okay, what critical information are you leaving out?

Did the copier fall off the truck as the leasing company was taking it away, and you failed to dive in and push the little kid out of its way?
                    Well that was just mean. Funny as heck, but mean....

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
                      Well that was just mean. Funny as heck, but mean....
                      That wasn't mean at all.

As far as KS answering the question, by the time he did all the relevant statistical analysis on how to save the kid..well....pancake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Ok i said it might be ridiculous in my original post..but i get the feeling that you guys won't answer it because you wouldn't choose to save the kid. Just take any situation then, where you have time to think before you act. Would you save a stranger by risking your own life?
                        I just don't see the point because your proposed situation is so improbable that it would be like me planning out how I would spend my lottery winnings even though I don't even play, just in case someone hands me a winning ticket as they're collapsing of a fatal heart attack.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

I think it's a sliding scale with how likely you are to survive the outcome.

Heck, most of us could probably go save a life right now if we went and donated a Kidney, but no one is running out to do that. Most of us probably don't donate blood.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            I just don't see the point because your proposed situation is so improbable that it would be like me planning out how I would spend my lottery winnings even though I don't even play, just in case someone hands me a winning ticket as they're collapsing of a fatal heart attack.
                            Thanks for playing

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              I think it's a sliding scale with how likely you are to survive the outcome.

Heck, most of us could probably go save a life right now if we went and donated a Kidney, but no one is running out to do that. Most of us probably don't donate blood.
                              Despite passing out my 1st time, I donated blood regularly from age 18 until 21. However, since I spent 6 months in England during the mad cow disease scare, I no longer am allowed to, even though I never ate beef while there!
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                              X