The GOPs Best Hope in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
    i think mitt romney type of candidate - a responsible adult with economic credentials - would be the biggest threat to barack obama. and i don't think the gop will be smart enough to pick their biggest threat.

rick perry - pretty slick package, likes to throw barbs around, i think people want someone more sober than swagger-y. will have to wait and see how he evolves. texas' solid economy is a pretty good arrow to have in his quiver.

michelle bachmann - doa. no way she convinces independents to vote for her. palin II.

ron paul - has not been taken seriously for too long, typecast as a fringe candidate. too rigid with his libertarianism.

huntsman - too little too late? don't know enough about him yet. could be an interesting lurker, but he has that mormon problem.

santorum - the country's not in the mood for a social conservative douche.

gingrich - lol. please.

pawlenty - seems like he dropped out too fast, or maybe he knew something about his chances we didn't.

i think it's possible someone else could step in to fill the vacuum.
    I think people can argue this point either way. The unemployment rate in Texas is 8.4% - not as bad as the national rate, but not great, either. Plus, Texas is looking at a $27 Billion budget shortfall this year. Once again, not horrible, but certainly not great. The state keeps ramping up "fees" everywhere it can, since "fees" aren't as evil as "taxes", but they still haven't recovered from a big property tax break a few years ago.

True, Texas has poached a lot of jobs from other states, attracting companies with dirt cheap labor and lax governmental regulation. That's not the basis for long-term economic strength, though, and certainly can't work as a national model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
      I think people can argue this point either way. The unemployment rate in Texas is 8.4% - not as bad as the national rate, but not great, either. Plus, Texas is looking at a $27 Billion budget shortfall this year. Once again, not horrible, but certainly not great. The state keeps ramping up "fees" everywhere it can, since "fees" aren't as evil as "taxes", but they still haven't recovered from a big property tax break a few years ago.

True, Texas has poached a lot of jobs from other states, attracting companies with dirt cheap labor and lax governmental regulation. That's not the basis for long-term economic strength, though, and certainly can't work as a national model.
      Plus doesn't Texas lead the nation in minimum wage jobs or close to it? I don't think telling someone who just lost their job that they should elect him President in order to create more jobs flipping burgers at minimum wage. I think Perry is much more vulnerable than Romney in the general election.

The pressure on the governor of NJ to join in must be enormous. And I still wonder if Palin will jump in at the last moment.
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
        Plus doesn't Texas lead the nation in minimum wage jobs or close to it? I don't think telling someone who just lost their job that they should elect him President in order to create more jobs flipping burgers at minimum wage. I think Perry is much more vulnerable than Romney in the general election.

Yes, and this too

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post

Say what? That is very counterintuitive. Please expand.

With regard to the fees, there is no income tax. Fees are the sole source of income other than sales tax.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• It is somehow hard for you to understand that a "job program" based on poverty level wages isn't the key to long term economic strength? Try this-- Texas ranks #46 of the 50 states in terms of people living below the poverty line. That's an economic miracle, that you have more people living in poverty than 45 other states? That's not a miracle, it's a badge of shame.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
              It is somehow hard for you to understand that a "job program" based on poverty level wages isn't the key to long term economic strength? Try this-- Texas ranks #46 of the 50 states in terms of people living below the poverty line. That's an economic miracle, that you have more people living in poverty than 45 other states? That's not a miracle, it's a badge of shame.
              don't they also have a much lower cost of of living than almost every other state? seems like that would be important to consider if you are using a national poverty line for comparison.
              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                don't they also have a much lower cost of of living than almost every other state? seems like that would be important to consider if you are using a national poverty line for comparison.
                No, it really isn't. The national poverty threshold is based on numbers normalized for factors across the 50 states. There's no way to look at being ranked #46 in terms of people below the poverty line than as an economic disaster, I'm afraid.
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• National Poverty line is what? A little above $22K a year?
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

No, it really isn't. The national poverty threshold is based on numbers normalized for factors across the 50 states. There's no way to look at being ranked #46 in terms of people below the poverty line than as an economic disaster, I'm afraid.
                    Could you provide a reference? I ask because when I studied poverty in grad school one of the major flaws with the way they measured it then (2002) was that it did not take into account regional cost-of-living differences.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Could you provide a reference? I ask because when I studied poverty in grad school one of the major flaws with the way they measured it then (2002) was that it did not take into account regional cost-of-living differences.
                      mmmm, yeah, bob's comment caused me to research the national poverty line and how it is calculated, and i don't think it's a very good measure for evaluating the texas economy. jason's link was interesting, though, if those numbers about govt jobs vs. private sector jobs are correct.

edit to add: found what seems like a pretty balanced article on the "texas jobs miracle" here. not really a miracle nor a disaster, just a mix of factors, some that he can claim credit for, more that he can't.

linky - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...HFHJ_blog.html
                      Last edited by Cobain's Ghost; 08-22-2011, 04:26 PM.
                      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

It is somehow hard for you to understand that a "job program" based on poverty level wages isn't the key to long term economic strength? Try this-- Texas ranks #46 of the 50 states in terms of people living below the poverty line. That's an economic miracle, that you have more people living in poverty than 45 other states? That's not a miracle, it's a badge of shame.
                        I can tell you are being condescending on purpose. Are you also being dense on purpose?

The international border counties of Texas are all in the 10 worst poverty counties in the nation, including 4 of the worst 5 IIRC. Does that tell you anything?

In Texas, the minimum wage is $290 a week, or $15,000 a year. Compared to the Mexican side, that is a fortune. The communities within 15 miles either side of the border have a population of New York and LA combined, or over 12 million people. About 1.8 Million of that is in San Diego/Tijuana. The bulk of the rest is strung out along the Rio Grande, between El Paso/Juarez and Brownsville/Matamoros. It is an achievement that Texas does not rank 50th.

All this is beside the point. I was asking how attracting businesses was not a long term strategy.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• I would say that the fact that Texas borders Mexico should be taken into account, so yes, I guess the question would be, "given that factor, where SHOULD they rank?"

I don't know if it's 50th, but I'm sure that's one hell of a reason to "grade on a curve."

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• The international border counties of Texas are all in the 10 worst poverty counties in the nation, including 4 of the worst 5 IIRC. Does that tell you anything?
                            Texas, or the counties, if you don't want to blame the state, have done some things in allowing the colonias to be established that have unnecessarily perpetuated the cycle of poverty in the border counties. It's not just a matter of proportion of recent immigrants or the migrant nature of the population, though those also contribute. I often find it useful to compare Texas to California in this regard, as both deal with a large population of immigrants, a significant portion of which are migrant farm workers.

Having said that, I have no idea where Texas ranks relative to California on the poverty scale. Also, California is a bit different in that the border counties are not necessarily where the crop harvesting is done, whereas in Texas the bulk of the crops requiring migrant labor are in the Rio Grande Valley.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• When a migratory worker gets a steady job, even at minimum wage, I have to consider that a step foreward.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                                When a migratory worker gets a steady job, even at minimum wage, I have to consider that a step foreward.

J

it does help provide a higher grade of cardboard for their shantys to be sure.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X