The GOPs Best Hope in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GOPs Best Hope in 2012

Is to make sure they re-elect Barack Obama.

It's the only way you'll make sure their agenda becomes policy.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Oh now, come on, Pouty Pouterson! Just like the tea party, with about 20% of the population behind them, shouldn't expect to dictate policy for the remaining 80%, neither should liberals, with about 20% of the population behind them, expect to dictate policy for the remaining 80%. I'd like to think we are the grown-ups who understand how government works. At best, it's two steps forward and one back, and that's on a good day.

Obama is such an upgrade over Bush, Jr., that it isn't even a contest.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

i've thought for awhile that Obama was, in general, at least vulnerable for 2012. However, this whole mess recently with the debt deal--let's just say the Republicans have done a pretty lame job with their own base and they haven't put anyone up at this point that i'd like to vote for. i haven't voted "for" anyone in quite some time. i'm more disgusted with our government now than i ever have been. None of these clowns are worth my vote right now. i'll probably cool off after awhile, but right now......

Worst case, the RNC has energized the Tea Partiers, their most trusted voters, to stupidly go create their own 3rd party (whether they do it or not remains to be seen), which will pretty much guarantee a Democrat-controlled House, Senate and White House in 2012. It's a win-win for Democrats, they played the Republicans beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by regular-guy View Post
        Worst case, the RNC has energized the Tea Partiers, their most trusted voters, to stupidly go create their own 3rd party (whether they do it or not remains to be seen), which will pretty much guarantee a Democrat-controlled House, Senate and White House in 2012. It's a win-win for Democrats, they played the Republicans beautifully.
        I'm a Democrat and as much as I like to think they had an actual plan to play the Republicans, my guess is that all we're doing is staying out of the way while they hang themselves. Saying we have a plan is definitely giving us too much credit!
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

The Democrats haven't been able to "play" anyone since the days of LBJ.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            The Democrats haven't been able to "play" anyone since the days of LBJ.
            Clinton had his moments. No question he got the better of the GOP on several occasions.
            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
              Oh now, come on, Pouty Pouterson! Just like the tea party, with about 20% of the population behind them, shouldn't expect to dictate policy for the remaining 80%, neither should liberals, with about 20% of the population behind them, expect to dictate policy for the remaining 80%. I'd like to think we are the grown-ups who understand how government works. At best, it's two steps forward and one back, and that's on a good day.

My dog spot would have been an upgrade over Bush Jr.

Obama has failed to lead on several occasions. I don't want constant concessions or hear his say "this" is vital and then toss "this" to get a deal done.

Outside of killin Osama, he's half assed most everything else.. Healthcare; half assed, Guitmo; still open, DADT; STILL Fing around with it, Bush tax cuts; still enacted, wire-tapping, water-boarding and the like ALL still options on the table. He's barely addressed the Jobs situation and constantly showed he'll give up the heart of his party to just get a deal done-- any deal. nor has he show the vision to foresee potential impasses with the right and be proactive or preemptive about it. The debt ceiling issue should have been dealt with the first time the GOP help the country hostage, he was even ASKED about the potential of another round of feet dragging by the GOP at the time and didn't really have an answer for that potential scenario.

IMO, his desire to work in a bi partisan fashion has hamstrung his ability to govern. I admire the intent, but it gets little done and that which gets done is so far the the center right it isn't even policy I'd vote for as a Democrat.

I don't see why anyone on the right (except the far Right whack jobs), would want Obama out of office, they get the policies they want passed (again except for the tea party, no Govt is good govt crowd) and they can blame everything on Obama (cuz he won't fight back) and really anyone THEY have to put in office is gonna screw it all up for them.

From where I'm sitting, Obama is about as liberal as Regan was conservative.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                My dog spot would have been an upgrade over Bush Jr.
                OK, you've got me there.

Outside of killin Osama...
                To me, that's a pretty big "outside of."

he's half assed most everything else..
                Dude, half an ass is better than none. That's how progress is made -- half an ass at a time.
                -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Dude, half an ass is better than none. That's how progress is made -- half an ass at a time.

I expected him to govern in the same Dynamic, forward thinking way he campaigned.

I'd rather him do fewer things, but do them balls to the wall, than many things half way which only serves to set the table for a hopeful replacement down the road. Tackle one issue at a time, but do it right. Some of these things could have just been done pretty quickly when he had both houses, others if he'd use the bully pulpit.

Again, compromise is fine, but Not when you're the only one compromising.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Again, compromise is fine, but Not when you're the only one compromising.
                    Well, it's tough for me to argue with that. IMO, no question he has consistently been more reasonable than his GOP counterparts.

He may be too cognizant of the fact that he was elected as President of the United States, and not President of the liberals. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your view, I guess. I was hoping for more, but under the circumstances, I am more than satisfied with his performance.
                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I guess it's safe to say that Obama has been trying to please everyone while actually pleasing no one?
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        I guess it's safe to say that Obama has been trying to please everyone while actually pleasing no one?
                        Pretty dead on.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          Not quite. Even last week at the height of the crazy season, he was in the low to mid 40's. So he still has a huge chunk who are satisfied even under the worst of circumstances. And my feeling is that we'll get a lot more satisfied with him in comparison to whoever the GOP nominates.
                          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Yikes ... you don't set your standards very high.

It was clear that Obama was "more of the same" when be backtracked on closing Guantanamo (in fact strengthening it in Jan 2011), and then got the Nobel Peace Prize for doing sweet FA.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 08-03-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

True. He finishes a distant 2nd.

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Yikes ... you don't set your standards very high.

It was clear that Obama was "more of the same" when be backtracked on closing Guantanamo (in fact strengthening it in Jan 2011), and then got the Nobel Peace Prize for doing sweet FA.
                              Change, Change, Change, Change of Fools.
                              Aretha Franklin.

The original lyric seems to have gotten corrupted.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X