The GOPs Best Hope in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    You have no idea. In Waco, I am the liberal in the crowd, because I support open borders and legal pot. What you really mean is the distance between Austin and the Governor's mansion. Austin would suit you fine.

I think a lot of Reaganites can deal with Romney. Unlike Huntsman, he is not a long shot.

J

Lived in Texas for almost 10 years, Dallas was cool as was San Angelo. Have friends in Austin and only an Ex of mine lived anywhere near Waco-she was a Christan Fundy- go figure "
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      I think a lot of Reaganites can deal with Romney. Unlike Huntsman, he is not a long shot.
      Romney doesn't do much for me. With Huntsman I can see a consistent philosophy and how that has worked itself out in his political/public life. Romney is much more prone to pander to the extreme views in his party, and though he doesn't have the record to necessarily back that up, I don't trust a man who does that.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Lived in Texas for almost 10 years, Dallas was cool as was San Angelo. Have friends in Austin and only an Ex of mine lived anywhere near Waco-she was a Christan Fundy- go figure "
        YOU dated a Christian Fundy?

That must have been... entertaining.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I could see GITH dating someone... unexpected more than a lot of posters here, actually. He's got some maverick in him.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            YOU dated a Christian Fundy?

That must have been... entertaining.
            You should have heard our discussion on abortion.....well if you lived in any of the states bordering Texas, you probably did hear her take on it

Edit: That said, she was an amazing woman and if I'd be of the religious variety we might have got hitched, but sadly I can't be a hypocrite to my non beliefs and you know what they say about those unequally yoked.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The volume did not carry up all the way to New Jersey, I'm afraid.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Huntsman the main GOP guy going after the Hispanic vote, has Jeb Bush's son on board (remember that GW Bush got 44 pct of the Hispanic vote in 2004)

He's also chasing young voters, which doesn't seem like a group his competitors are chasing (chief boost there for GOP will be the disillusionment of the revved-up 2008 college crowd for Obama. They'll be pretty absent come fall 2012 and Election Day at this rate).
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I think my ears are still ringing 20 years later

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    Huntsman the main GOP guy going after the Hispanic vote, has Jeb Bush's son on board (remember that GW Bush got 44 pct of the Hispanic vote in 2004). He's also chasing young voters, which doesn't seem like a group his competitors are chasing (chief boost there for GOP will be the disillusionment of the revved-up 2008 college crowd for Obama. They'll be pretty absent come fall 2012 and Election Day at this rate).
                    Jeb's Spanish is quite fluent. Oratory grade.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Waco is where the fundamentalists migrate to breed.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    I think my ears are still ringing 20 years later
                    I spent many years as a Barrister
                    and argued each case with my wife
                    The muscular strength it gave to my jaw
                    has lasted the rest of my life.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      Tapper followed up on Huntsman’s Twitter declaration, asking if he was serious when he said, “To be clear, I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy,” or was he just “being cheeky?”

Huntsman responded that he takes the problem very seriously, that becoming “the anti-science party” is a “huge problem.”

“I can’t remember a time in our history where we actually were willing to shun science and become a – a party that – that was antithetical to science,” Huntsman said."
                      In his most recent comments, Perry didnt deny that climate change is occuring but did deny human involvement. If someone can deny human involvement but still realize climate change is potentially a harmful thing to our existence then I dont see the problem. However, generally speaking, repubs would rather not do too much about climate change because of the economic effects of massive new regulation and requirements.

I can see both sides of the issue so in a poor economy I favor fewer environmental legislation and in a strong economy I favor more.

As for Huntsman, he's campaigning for 2016 at this point.
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        In his most recent comments, Perry didnt deny that climate change is occuring but did deny human involvement. If someone can deny human involvement but still realize climate change is potentially a harmful thing to our existence then I dont see the problem.
                        Not only did Perry deny human involvement, he also accused the scientific community of outright fraud for creating the controversy.

Comment

• i think mitt romney type of candidate - a responsible adult with economic credentials - would be the biggest threat to barack obama. and i don't think the gop will be smart enough to pick their biggest threat.

rick perry - pretty slick package, likes to throw barbs around, i think people want someone more sober than swagger-y. will have to wait and see how he evolves. texas' solid economy is a pretty good arrow to have in his quiver.

michelle bachmann - doa. no way she convinces independents to vote for her. palin II.

ron paul - has not been taken seriously for too long, typecast as a fringe candidate. too rigid with his libertarianism.

huntsman - too little too late? don't know enough about him yet. could be an interesting lurker, but he has that mormon problem.

santorum - the country's not in the mood for a social conservative douche.

gingrich - lol. please.

pawlenty - seems like he dropped out too fast, or maybe he knew something about his chances we didn't.

i think it's possible someone else could step in to fill the vacuum.
                          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                            Nate Silver wrote about that today at his 538 blog:
                            At least five prominent Republicans — Sarah Palin, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Rudolph W. Giuliani and George Pataki — are being linked to potential bids.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                              Not only did Perry deny human involvement, he also accused the scientific community of outright fraud for creating the controversy.
                              he is correct that there has been some fraud. If by outright you mean all of it then no... I'm sure there are plenty of honest researchers doing good work that support human involvement.

However, one doesnt have to believe humans are causing climate change to realize it could harm us. To me it makes no difference who is causing it.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                                i think mitt romney type of candidate - a responsible adult with economic credentials - would be the biggest threat to barack obama. and i don't think the gop will be smart enough to pick their biggest threat.

rick perry - pretty slick package, likes to throw barbs around, i think people want someone more sober than swagger-y. will have to wait and see how he evolves. texas' solid economy is a pretty good arrow to have in his quiver.

michelle bachmann - doa. no way she convinces independents to vote for her. palin II.

ron paul - has not been taken seriously for too long, typecast as a fringe candidate. too rigid with his libertarianism.

huntsman - too little too late? don't know enough about him yet. could be an interesting lurker, but he has that mormon problem.

santorum - the country's not in the mood for a social conservative douche.

gingrich - lol. please.

pawlenty - seems like he dropped out too fast, or maybe he knew something about his chances we didn't.

Pawlenty's knickname is Yawnplenty. That should give you an idea.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X