No announcement yet.

Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really disappointed with True Detective 2 so far. As much as I like Rachel McAdams and her character, it's pretty much the only redeeming factor so far. The production values are still there, and yeah, they have tried hard to recapture the mood of the original series, but it's coming off as contrived and really rushed. It's like watching a first draft of an idea that's been rushed into production in order to capitalize on the success of season 1.

The Vince Vaughn character is so dull and unconvincing. Colin Farrell's role has promise, and I can see there McAdams-Farrell thing working ... but not with this draft.

Louisiana was the hidden star of True Detective 1, Los Angeles is a sad depressing replacement ... so far ... and given the sad depressing characters, the sad depressing dialogue, and sad depressing mood, and sad depressing cinematography ... no surprise that TD2 is, well, sad and depressing.

Maybe McAdams and Farrell can save it in the long run.

Comment

• anyone watching the two new HBO comedies, The Brink & Ballers? The Brink is hysterical; Ballers has been decent enough to continue watching.

Comment

• ha...
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          anyone watching the two new HBO comedies, The Brink & Ballers? The Brink is hysterical; Ballers has been decent enough to continue watching.
          I've been watching Ballers. Jack Black scared me off from watching The Brink.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            Seconded! It's been a really great surprise. I much prefer British TV to American so I gave it a shot despite it's terrible name and I'm glad I did. Tatiana Maslany really should get Emmy consideration for her performance playing 4 vastly different characters who interact with one another in this show.
            well it took til season three but she finally got nominated today in the best actress in a drama category.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              well it took til season three but she finally got nominated today in the best actress in a drama category.
              I actually like baseline Sarah the least.....but yea, about time
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Comment

• Just watched the first episode of Mr Robot.

Really impressed by the pilot. 9.3 on IMDB, and 97% on RT, and deserving of those numbers, assuming the rest of the series comes close to the quality of the pilot.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Just watched the first episode of Mr Robot.

Really impressed by the pilot. 9.3 on IMDB, and 97% on RT, and deserving of those numbers, assuming the rest of the series comes close to the quality of the pilot.
                    I'm worried it's fight club. I'm hoping not but even if it is just a bit like it it will feel very derivative

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      I'm worried it's fight club. I'm hoping not but even if it is just a bit like it it will feel very derivative
                      when the company's name is Evil Corp it sounds like it's all happening in his head to me. Watched the first episode and was not impressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        Being derived from something as awesome as Fight Club is a bad thing? Fargo was derived from ... errr Fargo ... and that was terrific

It's clearly inspired by Fight Club, but it's not a copycat as the lead character is openly debating his sanity and questioning the reality of what's happening around him.

Comment

• I'm watching The Americans ... damn good show. I can't remember why I didn't follow up on it after watching the pilot.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            I'm watching The Americans ... damn good show. I can't remember why I didn't follow up on it after watching the pilot.
                            one the few series that keeps it quality up throughout ... looking forward to next season.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              one the few series that keeps it quality up throughout ... looking forward to next season.
                              I'm still in the midst of season 2, should just power through....

Black Mirror is still the best stuff I've seen recently, available on Netflix, 6 episodes.....
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                I'm still in the midst of season 2, should just power through....

Black Mirror is still the best stuff I've seen recently, available on Netflix, 6 episodes.....
                                I'm on season 2 episode 5 ...

Comment

Working...
                                X