Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I am about to watch the last episode of season 1. I will comment on my overall impression when I have seen it.

I think it's been good ... but certainly there have been some flaws ... there was one very odd episode at a crucial point in the series which seemed to focus on a non-relevant aspect of the story (going from what I saw in the original).

I have a feeling they are going to try and stretch the overall plot of the 20 part Danish series into a second series ... if it gets renewed of course.
    I'll wait until you watch the last episode before I comment. I've enjoyed it but I don't mind slow paced shows like this, I really liked Rubicon which was possibly slower than this.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I am about to watch the last episode of season 1. I will comment on my overall impression when I have seen it.

I think it's been good ... but certainly there have been some flaws ... there was one very odd episode at a crucial point in the series which seemed to focus on a non-relevant aspect of the story (going from what I saw in the original).

I have a feeling they are going to try and stretch the overall plot of the 20 part Danish series into a second series ... if it gets renewed of course.
      It got renewed so we will see for sure what they do. I liked it and have no problem with how it ended. I can see why a lot of people got frustrated, but I don't mind.

Johnny are you talking about the episode that focused on them finding her son mostly? It was weird and the only episode that I did not really enjoy as it didn't advance much as far as I could tell.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        I'll wait until you watch the last episode before I comment.
        Exactly. No one wants to be a random internet douche.
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post

The butler did it...in the dining room....with a candlestick...or multiple eliipses
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
            ah, if only I could set my own title like we could on the old RJ instead of this silly farm system stuff.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
              It got renewed so we will see for sure what they do. I liked it and have no problem with how it ended. I can see why a lot of people got frustrated, but I don't mind.

Johnny are you talking about the episode that focused on them finding her son mostly? It was weird and the only episode that I did not really enjoy as it didn't advance much as far as I could tell.
              I'll wait until you watch the last episode before I comment. I've enjoyed it but I don't mind slow paced shows like this, I really liked Rubicon which was possibly slower than this.
              I enjoyed the show ... and I definitely don't mind the slower pace of things, especially when the focus is on character development. I do hope that AMC (or is it Showtime?) don't back track on the second season, because I agree that its lost its way a little on the run in. The "where's my son" episode was totally pointless at a time they needed to be picking up the pace and suspense. The ending was unexpected ...

I'm guessing that the second season has to pick up from were this one finished?

Comment

The one thing I got from the "where's my son" episode is that her partner blew off his own son to help her find her son. So you have to think that he's good and then you find out something's up with him in the last episode. But that episode did feel like a waste of time. There are a lot of loose ends and things that just don't make sense and that gets frustrating. As Simmons mentioned in his article, why the hell did it take them so long to realize that the gas in the tank did not match up what was recorded? You'd think they would have done that from day one.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The one thing I got from the "where's my son" episode is that her partner blew off his own son to help her find her son. So you have to think that he's good and then you find out something's up with him in the last episode. But that episode did feel like a waste of time. There are a lot of loose ends and things that just don't make sense and that gets frustrating. As Simmons mentioned in his article, why the hell did it take them so long to realize that the gas in the tank did not match up what was recorded? You'd think they would have done that from day one.
                  I won't go into specifics, because we may be only half way through this story arc.

Things were a bit confused in places ... on the one hand the producers were trying to stay true to the original, which is creditable. But on the other they did not find the right balance with plot-storyline-character development ... too much emphasis on character development made it meander in places, and not enough focus on plot coherence and storyline IMO. In the Danish series it was a bit like 24 ... each episode had a clearly defined goal, and it generally built to a cliffhanger at the end, which progressed the overall plot ... lot's and lot's of twists and turns and blind alleys.

When the Danish series aired her on the BBC's arts channel earlier this year, towards the end of its run it was getting nearly 1 million viewers on a Saturday night ... typically they would get 30K viewers on a Saturday night maybe 50K. The remake didn't quite have that build up of suspense that made you desperate to turn the next page ... but that said ... I still really enjoyed it. I have only kept watching 3 shows this spring: GoT, House and The Killing.

To be overly critical, I think they failed to properly grasp the essence of Sarah Lund in the Linden character despite all the time spent on her personal life. It's not an easy task ... I think Sarah Lund is easily one of the strongest female lead characters ever ... in TV land anyway. She was really dark, moody, obsessive, nothing mattered except the case. She was always ignoring authority figures, acting impulsively, getting in trouble. You always had the sense that a eureka moment was about to come with Lund, I didn't get that with Linden ... they made her seem a bit weak and manic with too much emphasis on the relationship with her son. In the original, Lund's relationship with her son was a plot mechanism to show her growing unhealthy obsession with the case ... in The Killing the case took a back seat when Linden's son vanished.

The political side of things, and the growing fragmentation of the family of the victim, were also played out much better in the original series. In short ... if you enjoyed The Killing even a little bit, download the Danish series ... you'll really enjoy it.

Comment

Just watched the first episode of the new season of True Blood ... utterly horrible. The first 15 minutes alone are sufficient reason not to watch any more of this show. Cheap, nasty, badly written, badly directed ... the list goes on.

I'm guessing that HBO have all their $$ tied up in GoT and Boardwalk Empire, and are hoping that they can still draw out good viewing figures with a massively slashed budget. They might be right judging by the garbage cable series that keep getting renewed ... but that's not very HBO .. beginning of the end for True Blood IMO.

Comment

Just watched the first episode of the new season of True Blood ... utterly horrible. The first 15 minutes alone are sufficient reason not to watch any more of this show. Cheap, nasty, badly written, badly directed ... the list goes on.

I'm guessing that HBO have all their $$ tied up in GoT and Boardwalk Empire, and are hoping that they can still draw out good viewing figures with a massively slashed budget. They might be right judging by the garbage cable series that keep getting renewed ... but that's not very HBO .. beginning of the end for True Blood IMO.
                      Agreed, it was pretty awful.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

More on the Killing / Forbrydelsen issue:

A terrified teenage girl runs for her life; a secretive detective finds herself lumbered with a difficult case as she prepares to leave for a new life; a devastated family struggle to come to terms with their daughter's murder.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Agreed, it was pretty awful.
                          I said I wouldn't watch any more True Blood ... I lied. The second episode was actually pretty good. Why on earth they had to squeeze every storyline into the series premier I have no idea ...

I wonder if they realised the first episode was a complete shocker ... because they offered the second episode online immediately after the premier. Seems like odd tactics for the beginning of a new series of a hyped show.

Comment

Ok, I am not up to date on this thead, but "Big Bang Theory" has had the most intelligent comedy writing of any show I've seen in recent years.

Admittedly, I don't watch much TV.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              Ok, I am not up to date on this thead, but "Big Bang Theory" has had the most intelligent comedy writing of any show I've seen in recent years.

We have watched and enjoyed that show from day one. I was afraid it was not going to get past the first season. Some really funny moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

My family loves this show. Sheldon is a character for the TV Hall of Fame!
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X