Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Revolution ... awful. Will be lucky to survive past mid-season judging by ep1.

Everything that is bad about network tv channels trying to make big production shows is exemplified here ... just a complete lack of authenticity and believability.

Every year they come up with a new shows like this, and every year they make the same fundamental errors. A generation raised on HBO and AMC quality production will never stomach this nonsense.

It was promising for about 5 minutes then the two Disney teenagers turned up with perfectly groomed salon hair-do's and straight off-the-shelf designer cloths. I LOL'd when the girl went looking for water and accidentally bumped into the male fashion model who just happened to be flexing his muscles, flicking his salon quiff, and admiring his brand new skin tight Versace top. Exactly what you'd expect to find while wandering in the wilderness (or watching a South Park episode taking the piss out of shows like this). In fact no-one had a hair out of place, and all were wearing brand new clothes and shoes. Nevermind the fact that they had all been living in the dark ages for 15 years.

I'm wondering how Lost was ever made judging by this crap.

Dropped.
    I have it on my DVR, but maybe it's not worth the 42 minutes.

I watched about 15 minutes of Go On with Matthew Perry before pulling the ripcord. Not a single laugh, and the format -- the main character goes to group therapy sessions -- is tiresome (Charlie Sheen's Anger Management is almost a copy).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

I watched about 15 minutes of Go On with Matthew Perry before pulling the ripcord. Not a single laugh, and the format -- the main character goes to group therapy sessions -- is tiresome (Charlie Sheen's Anger Management is almost a copy).
      I would always say to make your own mind up ... we all have guilty pleasures that we enjoy for no logical reason ... this could be yours

Comment

Silvio's back ... in a new Norwegian Gangster series

It's the Norwegian gangster show, possibly best described as The Sopranos with snow

Just when he thought he was out, they pulled him back in.
        I think this could be a guilty pleasure. I wonder if it will be aired in the US at some point?

Comment

• No mention of the final season of SOA?
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm wondering how Lost was ever made judging by this crap.
            JJ Abrams has very little to do with writing the series he creates. He had a great group of writers on Lost. Not so much here, apparently.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

I thought the pilot of Go On was ok, though the second episode was boring. If you want to see a truly awful show, watch (or rather don't) Guys with Kids. Terrible, cringe-worthy show that I happened to watch last week. Haven't watched Revolution yet, but I'm expecting about Event/Flash Forward level of quality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                JJ Abrams has very little to do with writing the series he creates. He had a great group of writers on Lost. Not so much here, apparently.
                The pilot was written by Erik Kripke who is a lot of fun as a writer on supernatural, and directed by John Favreau. You would think that would be a decent combination.

I've got it DVRed, but haven't watched yet.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• OK I write this for my friends and it may not be worth anyone reading, but I do write it and thought I would share it for the TV loving crowd...

TV 2012 – 2013

Well it is in fact the most wonderful time of the year if you are a TV Junkie like myself. Fall TV is finally here and the new shows are premiering. So what should you watch? What shows should you be watching that you have been ignoring for no good reason? I am here to help. Let’s get right to it…

SUNDAY

Quite possibly the best night for TV year round. First of all there are probably 4 shows that air on Sundays throughout the year that everyone should watch. Let’s start with what is on the air now.

I AM ALWAYS WATCHING…

Homeland – Showtime 10 PM – Premiere Sept 30th – The best new show of last year is back for its sophomore season. If you don’t have Showtime rent or stream season 1 and wait for season 2. This is what good tv is all about.

The Walking Dead – AMC 9 PM – Premiers Oct 14th – If you ask me to pick the best non- premium tv channel show on the air this might be it. High production value, good storylines, interesting characters, and zombies, yes please!

NOT IN SEASON

Game of Thrones – HBO – If you haven’t watched it get it. 2 seasons are done now and this is an amazing show with storylines that are interesting and unique. Sure it is geeky, but geeky is cool. You will then be in on my bad jokes when I say things like, bend the knee, winter is coming, or a Lannister always pays his debts.

Breaking Bad AMC 9 PM– It will be back in January or February for its last 8 awesome episodes. This show edges the Walking Dead as the best non HBO/Showtime show going. There is nothing about this show not to like. Most seasons a streaming on Netflix, catch up and enjoy what I am sure will be a great ending.

I SHOULD WATCH

Dexter –Showtime 9 PM - I am only 2 seasons into my on demand catch up of this great show, but I can’t comment beyond season 2 yet. It is a great concept for a show and I enjoy what I have seen so far.

Treme – HB0 10 PM – It is from the writers and producers of The Wire. It is not nearly as focused on the crime and the plot seems even more wide than The Wire, but set in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina is an interesting idea and David Simon is a good guy to tell the story.
                  NOT FOR ME BUT CRITICS LIKE IT…

The Good Wife – CBS 9 PM - I hear nothing but good things, but it does not interest me enough to invest in catching up. If you don’t like my very violent leanings in Sunday shows this would be my good tv alternative for you.

POPCORN TV

The Amazing Race – CBS 8 PMI do like some reality tv game shows and this is one that I will watch. It is nothing special, but it is certainly entertaining enough.

OVER IT

The Simpsons – FOX 8 PM - I am just done trying to invest anytime into this, but I am sure it still has its moments and would not knock anyone for sticking with it.

MONDAY

As excited as I am for Sundays I am that unexcited for Mondays as a whole. Here we go.

I AM ALWAYS WATCHING

How I Met Your Mother - CBS 8 PM SEPT 24 – Barney is still pretty awesome and the show delivers enough laughs that on an otherwise meh night of TV I enjoy it. Certainly not earth shattering TV.

I AM TRYING IT…

Revolution – NBC 10 PM SEPT 17 – I am not sure where I am with this yet. It is JJ Abrams and you should know that means you will get a few things. Unanswered Questions, Some sort of Mythology to the back story, and a need to accept that his shows will have some sci-fi to them. Let me be clear there are huge plot holes and things that will annoy you if you try to pick them apart. I watched the first episode and I will try it, but this is not the slam dunk for success Lost was even with the plot holes lost had.

IF I HAVE TO….

Castle – I guess if I have to pick something else I will say Castle. It has its moments. If not this I would say just watch Monday Night Football.

TUESDAY

It is one big night of sitcoms. Now whether any of them are any good is another question.

I AM ALWAYS WATCHING…but not in season

Justified – FX 10 PM – A great show that will be entering its 4th year. It will likely premiere in January or February. If you haven’t tried this show yet I am again begging you to do so through Netflix. Awesome TV!

Best Non-Sitcom in season…

Parenthood – NBC 10 PM – If you don’t like sitcoms this is the best show of the night. It is a large talented cast and it feels real. Ray Ramano is guest starring this year and should bring some new blood to the show.

I am trying it…

The Mindy Project – 9:30 PM FOX – Mindy Kaling from The Office has her own show on Fox. I think she is very funny and has been writing for the office for years. I think this has a chance to be good.

GO On – 9:00 NBC – I think Matthew Perry can be funny in this role and I hope I like it. Sitcoms are tough and most will fail, but I will try this one also.

The New Normal – 9:30 NBC – A show that is getting good buzz that I am likely to at least try and see what I think.

Worth Watching…

New Girl – FOX 9 PM - I don’t watch often, but it is a solid sitcom.

Happy Endings – I have heard good things

Sons of Anarchy FX 10 PM – A well done show that I have just fell out of touch with. It is quite violent.

WEDNESDAY

There is one show this night that everyone should watch and then there is some ok stuff.

I AM ALWAYS WATCHING….

Modern Family – 9 PM ABC - Probably the best sitcom on TV today. If you have not watched it yet please catch up. There are tons of great moments and there is no laugh track! Enjoy.

American Horror Story – FX 10 PM OCT 17th – If you like the genre of horror this show is for you. Season 1 scored 17 Emmy’s. It tired Mad Men for most nominations. This is a great show and it is very unique. I highly recommend this.

Survivor – 8 PM CBS - I know it is a reality show, but I have always watched. I don’t tout it as great TV, but it is a show even Emma watches with us now.

SOME BUZZZ….
                  Nashville – ABC 10 PM - I do like Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights) and Hayden Panettiere was in Heroes, which had one amazing season so there is somethings to like here. It is on most of the shows worth trying out lists and I have a feeling Krissy will have us try it out.

Arrow – 8 PM The CW – I am shocked this is on so many worth watching lists for new shows, but that may have more to do with the quality of the new shows than the quality of Arrow. Anyway a little Batman, a little Hunger Game (see arrow), and lots of pretty people. Sounds like a CW hit to me.

THURSDAY

Second best night of TV and here is why…

I AM ALWAYS WATCHING

30 Rock – 8 PM NBC - This show is great and this is the final season. I do love Liz Lemon and of course I wear a tuxedo when I watch the show since it is on after 6. This has been a great run and I hope you have been watching.

The Office – 9 PM NBC – It is not as good without Michael Scott, but I have watched since the beginning and I am not going to bail on it now. There is still a strong cast and it has its moments.

I SHOULD WATCH

Parks and Rec – I have heard nothing but good things and I really like Amy from her SNL days.

I AM TRYING…

Elementary – 10 PM CBS – It is a total procedural and the BBC version of Sherlock is almost certainly better, but the reviews are pretty good and there is not much else on at 10.

Last Resort – 8 PM ABC – The plot sounds interesting and I will give it a shot.

FRIDAY

It is Friday night, a typically weak night for TV. I personally only watch one show, but I will give you two recommendations.

GUILTY PLEASURE ALERT…

Nikita – Maggie Q is awesome and she is fighting a lot on this show. I won’t defend the show as some amazing storyline or high production value, but this is candy TV for me to no end.

I SHOULD HAVE WATCHED…

Fringe – It got lost in the shuffle after season 1 for me. The reviews remain great and the cult following is right up my ally. I just never got back to it, maybe on Netflix someday.

SATURDAY – GO OUT! Or stay in to watch SNL. It was a pretty good opening episode.

OTHER SHOWS I WATCH…

Ok here is a list of shows I watch that I can’t remember when they air and will be on throughout the year…

1. Newsroom – HBO – A well done show by Aaron Sorkin that I enjoyed. It hasn’t found its footing like The West Wing yet, but it has been renewed for season 2.
                  2. White Collar/Burn Notice/ Royal Pains/Suits – This is my USA Blue Skies lineup. If you are looking for something easy to watch that you can drop in and out of USA has a pretty good lineup of shows. If you can only pick 1 go with White Collar.
                  3. The League and It’s Always Sunny in Philly – Two very good comedies on FX. Both have some great moments.
                  4. Louie – Another FX show worth checking out
                  5. Damages – I don’t have direct TV so I am behind by 2 seasons, but I loved the first 3 seasons on FX.
                  6. House of Lies – Showtime a very good comedy with Don Cheadle and Kristin Bell.
                  7. Shameless – Another Showtime comedy, but a little more serious. William H Macy stars
                  8. Big Brother – if you think me watching Nikita is a guilty pleasure this my #1 summer guilty pleasure. The season finale is this week.
                  9. Boardwalk Empire – I have a lot of catching up to do
                  10. Boss – Lots of catching up to do here too.

OK so for those of you without an endless amount of time or a DVR with space to burn here are the shows I 100% would find a way to watch in 2012 – 2013 in order the Elite Eight for me are…

1. Breaking Bad
                  2. Game of Thrones
                  3. Homeland
                  4. The Walking Dead
                  5. Justified
                  6. American Horror Story
                  7. Modern Family
                  8. 30 Rock

And as always if you haven’t watched The Wire, watch it. New old TV suggestions that I know most of you haven’t watched… Friday Night Lights, as good as network TV can be.

Comment

• No interest in 666 Park Avenue - Writer of Life on Mars and Fringe. I'll give it a shot just on pedigree.

Agree completely on Nikita. always fun.

Comment

• Even though I typically loathe the reality/competition show genre, I enjoy watching Face Off on SyFy with Nicole and her kids. It's a theme-based Hollywood makeup elimination-style competition. Some of the artistry is really great:

Sometimes the artistry is not so great, which makes for entertaining "trainwreck" TV. It's pretty good family fare, expecially if your family has kids who like zombies and monsters and aliens and such.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• 7 or 8 hours of TV per week (not including sport) seems doable.

On now or upcoming:

Comedies:

Parks and Rec
                        Always Sunny in Philly
                        Modern Family
                        Community
                        American Dad

Series:

Boardwalk Empire
                        Walking Dead
                        Dexter
                        Homeland
                        Boss

New series I might give a shot ... but don't don't hold out much hope for ... hard to watch watered down network shows after the bloody violent uncompromising brilliance of Spartacus and co:

Elementary
                        Mob Doctor (look very iffy)
                        666 Park Avenue

Comment

• No fringe for Johnny? I think it's the best thing on TV these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            No fringe for Johnny? I think it's the best thing on TV these days.
                            I started watching the first series last spring ... got about half way through before I had to stop ... and never got around to starting again. i'm sure I will when my time frees up a bit. I still haven't seen the last season of Mad Men.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Bummer! Shows like this always pique my interest, at least in terms of the trailers.
                              Yeah me too ... there is a great post-apocalyptic / survival of the fittest show out there. I suppose The Walking Dead comes close to fitting the bill. The Networks keep trying to make this genre, and always end up turning it into a melodrama (Jericho) or a cheesy soap opera (Revolution). I quite liked Jericho. Judging by the preposterous fight scene, I think the producers were going for a Twilight meets Buffy thing. The fight scene reminded me of something from Cutthroat Island ... flunkies and henchmen were flying through the air like confetti.

But clearly my views are way off kilter lately ... metacritic gives it a 66% positive rating from 30 reviews, and no negative reviews (50/50 mix between positive and mixed). http://www.metacritic.com/tv/revolution

Comment

• My problem with the Genre is either over seriousness (falling skies) or cheesy soap operaness (flashforward) . I'm not ready to write this one off yet, I'll give the pedigree a bit of time to develop still. Although once Johnny pointed out the perfectness of all the actors it did bother me. They looked a bit grubbier in the coming attractions at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X