Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    I only have 40 or 50 Neil boots, but I tried to be selective with them. There is one I've been seeking for years and years. If you're game, I may ask you to check to see if you have it and can burn me a copy.

I've got hundreds of Clapton boots, if you count Mayall, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos, and Delaney and Bonnie. Tons of Allmans, Hendrix, Waits, Little Feat, close to a hundred Zeppelin.

It was great fun in the old days...finding that guy in Canada or Japan or Denmark who had just what you wanted, negotiating the 25-for-25 trade, being like Christmas when your package of discs came in and you could start spinning them up. Now you just to to Dimeadozen and let the computer do the work. To me, making friends across the country and globe was almost as fun as the music.
    You must have a mean cassette collection

Comment

Comment

I don't think I want an early pick either; the monster classics aren't necessarily my favorites. If I get #1, there might be another "Hey Bulldog" moment (for those of you who remember the Beatles draft).

I'm pretty complete with Neil's stuff -- even things like "Journey Through The Past" -- up through the early 80s; then I lose the plot, with a few exceptions over the years. I'll be dwelling strictly in the classic era. My peak Neil period was college in '79-81, Live Rust, that stuff. My roommate was a Long Island Deadhead and a huge Neil fan...all these songs remind me of that time, lots of memories.
        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

i know "decade" and his 90's stuff, so i'm just in it to learn what classics i should pick up. any clips or personal reviews you can provide with your picks would be awesome.

there's probably not an obvious #1 pick in this draft. i have one very favorite neil young song, which i think i can get in the first round, because i think his "real" fans sneer at it. we shall see.

you've all been warned - if you think you can scoop up his 90's songs in the garbage rounds, prepare to be disappointed!
          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
            i know "decade" and his 90's stuff, so i'm just in it to learn what classics i should pick up. any clips or personal reviews you can provide with your picks would be awesome.

there's probably not an obvious #1 pick in this draft. i have one very favorite neil young song, which i think i can get in the first round, because i think his "real" fans sneer at it. we shall see.

you've all been warned - if you think you can scoop up his 90's songs in the garbage rounds, prepare to be disappointed!
            Decade has to be one of the most memorable "best of" records ever. More than any similar package I know, Decade could easily be a desert island disc, giving you just about every outstanding Neil tune from that period. Best I recall, there's not a bad song on it.

I was in a band with a bunch of younger guys, and they loved to play Neil Young tunes. They mostly discovered him through the Seattle guys, and seemed to revere him as a progenitor of grunge.

Comment

I was in a band with a bunch of younger guys, and they loved to play Neil Young tunes. They mostly discovered him through the Seattle guys, and seemed to revere him as a progenitor of grunge.
              yep, all of us 90's grunge fans recognize him as the godfather. i feel like his 90's crazy horse records were a response to that recognition - he was like "hey, i was doing this in the late 70's, i remember how to make this kind of music."

and all nirvana fans like the "sleeps with angels" album - it was pretty much a kurt cobain tribute.

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                yep, all of us 90's grunge fans recognize him as the godfather. i feel like his 90's crazy horse records were a response to that recognition - he was like "hey, i was doing this in the late 70's, i remember how to make this kind of music."

and all nirvana fans like the "sleeps with angels" album - it was pretty much a kurt cobain tribute.
                I probably mentioned this already, but perhaps the best concert I ever attended was March 14, 1991. Neil Young and Crazy Horse changed the tour up a little because of the Gulf War. The show opened with a Star Spangled Banner which would have made Hendrix proud. A little later was a moving version of Blowin' In The Wind, replete with smoke, artillery and machine gun fire.

The opening bands were Sonic Youth and Social Distortion, which means the crowd as at concert peak when Crazy Horse took the stage. Quite a few people my age, but tons of people who were late teens, early 20's. Massive volume, great sound. Neil wasn't an old guy trying to rock...he was ageless, and rocking his ass off. One of those rare concerts which hit you on musical, intellectual and emotional levels.

Comment

I probably mentioned this already, but perhaps the best concert I ever attended was March 14, 1991. Neil Young and Crazy Horse changed the tour up a little because of the Gulf War. The show opened with a Star Spangled Banner which would have made Hendrix proud. A little later was a moving version of Blowin' In The Wind, replete with smoke, artillery and machine gun fire.

The opening bands were Sonic Youth and Social Distortion, which means the crowd as at concert peak when Crazy Horse took the stage. Quite a few people my age, but tons of people who were late teens, early 20's. Massive volume, great sound. Neil wasn't an old guy trying to rock...he was ageless, and rocking his ass off. One of those rare concerts which hit you on musical, intellectual and emotional levels.
                  i saw that tour! i'm a huge social d fan - they were great, neil was awesome! :beavis:

kc

Comment

I saw that tour too, and will tell a story about it later, especially if I get one particular song.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

OK, we are at 8. Someone please send me a PM with the numbers 1 thru 8 in random order. I will have my wife do the same. When I come back from the DMV later this afternoon, I will have the draft order.

Comment

The one and only time I saw him was far, far less epic. I'll also tell that story later.
                        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                          I don't think I want an early pick either; the monster classics aren't necessarily my favorites. If I get #1, there might be another "Hey Bulldog" moment (for those of you who remember the Beatles draft).

I'm pretty complete with Neil's stuff -- even things like "Journey Through The Past" -- up through the early 80s; then I lose the plot, with a few exceptions over the years. I'll be dwelling strictly in the classic era. My peak Neil period was college in '79-81, Live Rust, that stuff. My roommate was a Long Island Deadhead and a huge Neil fan...all these songs remind me of that time, lots of memories.
                          I would definitely want the first pick as one song is heads and tails above all other Neil songs for me..
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            I would definitely want the first pick as one song is heads and tails above all other Neil songs for me..
                            I predict that you will have an opportunity to pick your song, no matter where you fall in the order. There are so many great songs (well over 400) and such diversity of opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              OK, we are at 8. Someone please send me a PM with the numbers 1 thru 8 in random order. I will have my wife do the same. When I come back from the DMV later this afternoon, I will have the draft order.
                              I'm back. Someone want to send this to me?

Comment

There is one I've been seeking for years and years. If you're game, I may ask you to check to see if you have it and can burn me a copy.
                                No problem, but a lot of what I have is on cassette.

Comment

Working...
                                X