Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    This is my situation for the Bowie draft. After we get past the radio hits of the '70s and '80s, I'm a total wild card, as my main criteria will be "stuff I found on Youtube that sounds cool."
    And I'm sure you're familiar with this one.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

This is my situation for the Bowie draft. After we get past the radio hits of the '70s and '80s, I'm a total wild card, as my main criteria will be "stuff I found on Youtube that sounds cool."
      :highfive: ... we can steal each other's "I think it's a good pick" picks

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        And I'm sure you're familiar with this one.
        Well, *THAT* goes without saying!

An old running gag in the Phish community is "wouldn't be cool if David Bowie sat in for David Bowie and sang `Me, Me, Me, Me'."
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

An old running gag in the Phish community is "wouldn't be cool if David Bowie sat in for David Bowie and sang `Me, Me, Me, Me'."
          The fools ... it's not even his real name

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            So how about it overkill, you game for Bowie?
            I know much less about Bowie than I do about Neil, but I'm willing to learn. Count me in if you need someone.

Comment

• Heh. Someone just posted a song from Le Noise* in my Facebook feed.

* -- that's Neil's most recent studio album, for those of you who don't keep up with his current stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                I know much less about Bowie than I do about Neil, but I'm willing to learn. Count me in if you need someone.
                That's the spirit, now we have 7 (so we'll have 14-song rosters if no more sign on = 98 total songs).
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Nice!
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

He had radio hits?

I was a big fan up through Young Americans, then luke warm through Heroes. There is one of his albums that makes my Top 100 of All Time. Oddly, it is an album which is hated pretty much universally by hard core Bowie fans.

Comment

• 15.07 Soldier (Journey Through The Past, 1972)

And 'Journey Through The Past' gets some love at the very end! Although most of us remember this from 'Decade'. Haunting tune.

Had a blast, made a killer YouTube playlist of some great tunes I didn't know thanks to you guys, and revisited tons of stuff I hadn't heard in years. It goes without saying Neil's a bona fide genius. I'll post my unpicked leftovers after the Luckys go.

Special kudos to Erik for being a total brainiac.

As for Bowie... he was as consistent (and prolific) as Neil throughout the 70s, and lost his muse around the same time (early 80s), BUT... there's really no comeback like Neil had in his later years. There's no Harvest Moon or Ragged Glory or Freedom for him; not many memorable tunes of any impact, compared to his early work. The list of draft-able songs will be much less than Neil... I predict 90-95% 'classic era'.
                      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• I've been thinking a while about how to close out the draft. There are still quite a few good songs out there, both released and unreleased by Neil. I finally decided upon:

15.08 Angry World (Le Noise, 2010)

I don't know that it's a great song. I only discovered Le Noise a few days ago, and it was in the context of a remarkable article. Odd as it may seem, Neil Young has won exactly one (1) Grammy for music, and that was for "Angry World". (He had another a couple of years ago for art direction, I think.)

Neil has been generally dismissive of the Grammy awards throughout his career, but he's won a couple now and actually showed up both times. This Grammy was supposedly for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance, but it really looks as though it could have been a makeup award, or a lifetime achievement award. In any event, Neil won a Grammy for "Angry World", so I think it should find its way into our draft. And there you have it.

It was a blast. You guys are great fun. Let's do it again sometime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                          This Grammy was supposedly for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance, but it really looks as though it could have been a makeup award, or a lifetime achievement award. In any event, Neil won a Grammy for "Angry World", so I think it should find its way into our draft. And there you have it.

It was a blast. You guys are great fun. Let's do it again sometime.
                          Yeah ... lot's of fun.

This proves just what a waste of column space the Grammy's really are. Possibly the most worthless award year in year out. If you win a Grammy it almost always means you produce sucky irrelevant dated music.

Comment

• This was awesome! Thanks to all for letting me indulge my extreme geekdom.

I'll be posting a bunch of postmortem stuff in a bit, timing will depend on how needy the baby boy is tonight.

Comment

• Final stats:

Songs by decade of release:

60s: 13
                              70s: 61
                              80s: 18
                              90s: 21
                              00s: 4
                              10s: 1
                              Unreleased: 2

Songs by album:

After the Gold Rush: 9 (missing only Til the Morning Comes and Cripple Creek Ferry)
                              Harvest: 9 (missing only There's a World)
                              Freedom: 9 (missing only Hangin' on a Limb and On Broadway)
                              Rust Never Sleeps: 8 (missing only Ride My Llama)
                              On the Beach: 7 (missing only Vampire Blues)
                              Ragged Glory: 7 (missing only White Line, Farmer John and Mother Earth)
                              Zuma: 6 (missing only Don't Cry No Tears, Stupid Girl and Through My Sails)
                              Harvest Moon: 6
                              Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere: 5 (missing only Round and Round and The Losing End)
                              Tonight's the Night: 5
                              Comes a Time: 4
                              Sleeps with Angels: 4
                              Neil Young: 3
                              Time Fades Away: 3
                              American Stars 'N Bars: 3
                              Re*ac*tor: 3
                              Buffalo Springfield Again (BS): 3
                              Deja Vu (CSNY): 2
                              Hawks & Doves: 2
                              Trans: 2
                              Chrome Dreams II: 2
                              Last Time Around (BS): 1
                              Journey Through the Past: 1
                              Everybody's Rockin: 1
                              Life: 1
                              Unplugged: 1
                              Mirror Ball: 1
                              Broken Arrow: 1
                              Silver and Gold: 1
                              Living with War: 1
                              Le Noise: 1
                              other: 8

Comment

This was awesome! Thanks to all for letting me indulge my extreme geekdom.

I'll be posting a bunch of postmortem stuff in a bit, timing will depend on how needy the baby boy is tonight.
                                That would be great. We'd appreciate your expertise, especially on all of these recent releases and packages.

Comment

Working...
                                X