Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
    i want to see your list of 15 songs you were considering for your last pick.
    I will post them after the draft is over.

Some have already been taken, including Albuquerque and Mansion on the Hill.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• well, i gotta sign off for the day. overkill, if this is the one you wanted, take it and i'll re-pick.

15.06 - stringman

Last edited by Cobain's Ghost; 06-29-2011, 04:52 PM.
      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Stringman is another that was intended for Chrome Dreams. It's about Stephen Stills. It was the last one of that bunch to finally get an official release. As with Pushed It Over the End, I first came across it on a bootleg called Love Art Blues.

Comment

• I'm game for whatever you guys want, but if we have eight for Bowie, I'd suggest an even dozen rounds. We got pretty thin on Neil, and he has several more studio albums than Bowie. (NB: Over half of Bowie's studio albums were released before 1980.)

And, are we counting Tin Machine? Brrrrrrrrr.

Comment

• If Buffalo Springfield and CSNY are fair game for Neil, Tin Machine is fair game for Bowie, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              We got pretty thin on Neil
              I beg to differ. :o

Comment

• So, we've got overkill for the penultimate pick, then Alice and I close out the formal rounds?

Comment

So, we've got overkill for the penultimate pick, then Alice and I close out the formal rounds?
                  Overkill
                  Foot
                  You and Alice

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    I beg to differ. :o
                    Some folks got pretty thin. I heard that one guy actually drafted "T-Bone".

You know, I love Booker T. & the MGs. Duck Dunn is one of my bass heroes and a huge influence on me. But for some reason, I didn't really like that tour very much. (Of course, all I heard from it were three or four boots.) On the CH songs, there was still a trace of an R&B groove that just didn't work for me.

Comment

I'm game for whatever you guys want, but if we have eight for Bowie, I'd suggest an even dozen rounds. We got pretty thin on Neil, and he has several more studio albums than Bowie. (NB: Over half of Bowie's studio albums were released before 1980.)

And, are we counting Tin Machine? Brrrrrrrrr.
                      Yea, I don't see any reason not to count Tin Machine. I have a list of about 120 songs for Bowie but in reality it's probably closer to 100 that are worth picking. We have 6 so far so 15 wouldn't be a problem (90 total) but if we do find a couple more we can reduce the rosters.

Btw, Cobain is out but I'm hoping other casual fans would be more adventurous because its a great way to gain greater appreciation for an artist. Hell, I probably could not have named more than 10 NY songs before this draft and I owned none of his albums. But I'm definitely glad I participated and now I understand why he has so many die-hard fans.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Hell, I probably could not have named more than 10 NY songs before this draft and I owned none of his albums.
                        This is my situation for the Bowie draft. After we get past the radio hits of the '70s and '80s, I'm a total wild card, as my main criteria will be "stuff I found on Youtube that sounds cool."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          This is my situation for the Bowie draft. After we get past the radio hits of the '70s and '80s, I'm a total wild card, as my main criteria will be "stuff I found on Youtube that sounds cool."
                          I promise you will be a much bigger fan after it's over.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I was toooootally gonna pick "Stringman"...that's the one Soundgarden covered right?

15.05 - "Like an Inca" (Trans, 1982)

Although not my favorite Neil Young track still available, this pick fulfilled a few things:
                            - my first pick of his 80's output
                            - the 2nd song from the classic album Trans
                            - my first 6+ minute song since my 1st pick
                            - the bookending of my picks of tracks starting with "Like A(n)..."
                            - allmusic.com considers it a cross between "Like a Hurricane" and "Cortez the Killer" which were back-to-back picks in round 1

The song itself is pretty good if not a bit overlong and repetitive.

Comment

• So how about it overkill, you game for Bowie?
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• ^^^ Nice. That too was on my "list of 15," as Cobain calls it.

(In reality, as the list exists in my head and not on paper, it is probably longer than 15.)

Comment

Working...
                                X