Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Yahoo Groups ... damn ... they must be old with long grey beards!
    stephen stills is probably on there telling anyone who will listen that neil is overrated.
    ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
      stephen stills is probably on there telling anyone who will listen that neil is overrated.
      Stills and Joni Mitchell should get together and make some sweet sweet musac.

Comment

I don't think Stephen Stills knows how to work a computer (or Smartphone).
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Yahoo Groups ... damn ... they must be old with long grey beards!
          That's actually the main reason I'm not on there much anymore -- it's mostly boring old hippies.

Comment

• 15.02 What Did You do to My Life, Neil Young, 1969

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

surprise of the draft - i end up with no "ragged glory" songs, even though it is my second favorite neil young album.

on the other hand, i pretty much own "freedom." unk:
              i had to go with some Ragged Glory tunes as that is my favorite album from Young.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Want a song from Tonight's the Night ... debating between 3

15.03 Albuquerque Tonight's The Night 1975

TTN was wrote just before I was conceived, and released just after I was born

Comment

• Take whichever one Lucky's wife would think is the biggest "trainwreck."

Comment

• Phish, of all bands, does a nice cover of Albuquerque.

Comment

Want a song from Tonight's the Night ... debating between 3

15.03 Albuquerque Tonight's The Night 1975

TTN was wrote just before I was conceived, and released just after I was born
                      I considered this as well as one other song from TTN for my last pick, but come on guys, Living With War was grammy-nominated
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• So, fresno bob is in for Bowie and sheep is out (who, by the way, would have made the draft a lot harder on you 90s NY fans if he'd participated). That gives us 6 which is enough to go with, but 7 or 8 would be better. If no one objects too much to that I can post a thread once we wrap this up. Let's get some peer pressure on Cobain, since he hasn't yet given us his take on The Man Who Sold the World.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• So many things I could pull out here for my last pick. I'm gonna go the unreleased route again.

15.04 Live to Ride (Unreleased, written and first performed in 1993)

^^^ This version takes a while to get going, but it really starts cooking about halfway through.

Neil's 1993 tour with Booker T. and the MGs is unique in his road history. This was a much different caliber/style of backing band than what he usually worked with (though he has employed bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn on a number of subsequent tours), and it produced a much different combination of songs than what he usually came into battle with.

He debuted three new songs on that tour. One was a bare-bones, seven-minute version of "Change Your Mind," which as we all know ended up on Sleeps with Angels the following year in a longer and fuller version. The second was "Separate Ways," a ballad from the abandoned 1975 album Homegrown. The third was a whirlwind of a song, always placed in a climactic spot late in the set*, about his motorcycle, "Live to Ride." (Some bootlegs mistitle it as "Dream Machine.") It quickly became a hot topic of discussion among Neil die-hards, as it was his first real rocker after two years of writing for acoustic instruments. The guitar interplay between Neil and Steve Cropper is sublime. Unfortunately it didn't fit in with the Sleeps with Angels material and hasn't been heard from in 18 years. Is it that long already? Damn! We probably won't see it again until Archives Vol. 4, when Neil is 90 or whatever.

I'm kicking myself for missing this tour, most of whose dates had Soundgarden and Blind Melon as openers. I was waiting for a Philly gig to be announced, but it never was.

* -- Between "Powderfinger" and "Down by the River." How's that for pressure?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            I considered this as well as one other song from TTN for my last pick, but come on guys, Living With War was grammy-nominated
                            Did Gregg hack your account?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              If no one objects too much to that I can post a thread once we wrap this up.
                              Go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                So many things I could pull out here for my last pick. I'm gonna go the unreleased route again.
                                i want to see your list of 15 songs you were considering for your last pick.
                                ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Working...
                                X