No announcement yet.

Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While watching The Song Remains the Same on TV the other day I thought a cool draft would be Solos. Obviously guitar solos would be the main focus, but one of the categories could just be any other type of solo (drum, sax, piano, vocal, etc.) Some ideas for categories I've been thinking about:

60's
    70's
    80's
    90's
    00's
    Other (drum, sax, vocal, etc.)
    Acoustic?
    Non-rock?
    Female?

Then of course like 5 or 6 utility categories. Any takers?

Comment

• 12.05 Time Fades Away (Time Fades Away, 1973)

Remember in Don't Look Back, how Bob Dylan chastises the media for not printing "the truth," then when they ask what "truth" they should print, Dylan says "a tramp vomiting in an alley." "Time Fades Away" to me has always seemed like Neil's version of that "truth." Verses describing some of the most desolate, desperate and greedy people imaginable alternating with choruses cautioning you against ending up like that. Love how there's an extra junkie at the beginning of each verse (first thirteen, then fourteen, then fifteen, borrowing a device from the Allman Brothers' "Black Hearted Woman.") The Dylan connection is also played up in the music, with a driving, ragtag track that sounds straight out of Highway 61 Revisited.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        While watching The Song Remains the Same on TV the other day I thought a cool draft would be Solos. Obviously guitar solos would be the main focus, but one of the categories could just be any other type of solo (drum, sax, piano, vocal, etc.) Some ideas for categories I've been thinking about:

60's
        70's
        80's
        90's
        00's
        Other (drum, sax, vocal, etc.)
        Acoustic?
        Non-rock?
        Female?

Then of course like 5 or 6 utility categories. Any takers?
        I don't know if I'd be interested in that, but another board I'm on did a musicians draft. Everyone had to take 2 guitarists, one bassist, one drummer, one vocalist, and two utility players. That was a lot of fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          I don't know if I'd be interested in that, but another board I'm on did a musicians draft. Everyone had to take 2 guitarists, one bassist, one drummer, one vocalist, and two utility players. That was a lot of fun.
          We did that here many moons ago also

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
            12.04 - "Mellow My Mind" (Tonight's the Night, 1975)

Another heartbreaking request for that ever-elusive love Neil's always looking for.

Normally I just post the album version, but I quite liked this live version of just Neil and his banjo.
            Good call. The studio vocal is so out of tune that it borders on unlistenable. I feel the same way about Dylan's "All I Really Want to Do."

The version he played in the acoustic sets of his 1976 tour was quite lovely, though.

Comment

• 12.06 The Old Country Waltz American Stars 'n Bars, 1977

(will update details later)

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Good call. The studio vocal is so out of tune that it borders on unlistenable. I feel the same way about Dylan's "All I Really Want to Do."

The version he played in the acoustic sets of his 1976 tour was quite lovely, though.
                Yea, good pick. I should have looked for other versions b/c I liked the music but those vocals on the album version were excruciating.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Updated list of drafts I would do:

PJ
                  Led Zeppelin
                  The Who/Pete Townshend
                  The Rolling Stones
                  The Beatles
                  Pink Floyd
                  Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould/Grant Hart
                  Phish
                  Wilco/Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt
                  The Jam/Style Council/Paul Weller
                  The Kinks
                  U2
                  Rush
                  Todd Rundgren/Utopia/Nazz
                  Seattle Grunge Scene (including or separate from Pearl Jam)
                  James Brown
                  Parliament-Funkadelic
                  Tom Petty
                  Radiohead
                  The Byrds

Comment

• I'd be in for:

Led Zeppelin
                    The Beatles
                    The Rolling Stones
                    Rush
                    Black Sabbath
                    Metallica
                    Slayer
                    Iron Maiden
                    90's alternative / grunge / straight-up 90's

Comment

• Pearl Jam
                      REM
                      WOM / non-anglo American
                      Radiohead (good call ... will need to be a bit shallower though)
                      Bowie (will do it to fill out ... but I'll be struggling fairly quickly I reckon)
                      Springsteen

Scene: Grunge (although I'd like to do PJ separately), general indie or indie rock
                      Decades: 80's 90's 00's (or any combination of)
                      Oddments: songs with an electronica element (rather than straight ahead guitars)

We should narrow down the options and open it up to the whole forum ... no reason we can't run more than one if we find our musical tastes start to diverge.

Comment

• Yep, I smell a poll coming.

Comment

• Mith sent me a backup pick that hasn't been taken, so I'll post that for him in the interests of keeping this moving. If he changes his mind when he next gets here, we can backtrack.

For Mith:

12.07 Over and Over (Ragged Glory, 1990)

Comment

• I'll follow mith with another one from Ragged Glory, my 1st 90s pick! Well, apparently not as I found this live version from 76.

12.08 Country Home (Ragged Glory, 1990)

Neil Young - Country Home 1976 by Yedi
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• B/w picks, another one I'd do would be Paul Simon.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Ok, since my last pick really wasn't from the 90s, here's one that was (I think).

13.01 Philadelphia (Philadelphia OST, 1993)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X