No announcement yet.

Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's another one with an odd history. It first surfaced in 1986 with a different title, "Road of Plenty," and mostly different lyrics. He played it on tour with CH that year, and it was one of two songs worked up by Buffalo Springfield in their one-rehearsal reunion that year (the other was an untitled Stills song.) He then recorded it in early 1989 as part of an album planned as "wall-to-wall noise." Eventually he decided he wanted more variety on what became Freedom, so he took a few songs from those sessions and combined them with two Bluenotes outtakes (Crime in the City and Someday) and a bunch of softer songs into Freedom. But to memorialize the original concept, he released a five-song EP in in Japan called Eldorado, which included three songs from the "noise" sessions that made it on to Freedom and two that did not -- but the Eldorado versions have more distortion than the Freedom versions.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      for Johnny:

6.05 Ordinary People (1988)

This song is f**king awesome!! I'm a big time fan of songs with horns.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Ain't it? It always baffled the die-hards why he left that one unreleased for so long. Imagine if he had put it on Freedom -- he had used other Bluenotes outtakes for that disc.

Comment

• This is that insane Neil/Phish Down by the River I was telling y'all about. Neil didn't bring Old Black to Farm Aid (his solo set was acoustic), so he's using Trey Anastasio's backup guitar.

Comment

• Is someone dragging their Foot?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Where are you getting those, if you don't mind me asking. You can PM me if you like.
              From Dimeadozen, which I only heard about from you!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                This song is f**king awesome!! I'm a big time fan of songs with horns.
                Yeah, that is an awesome song...if I'd heard it before this draft it would have went much earlier.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Is someone dragging their Foot?
                  I sent him a PM.

I take it the Lucky/Alice team is itching to make their picks?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    From Dimeadozen, which I only heard about from you!
                    Thanks. I'll ease on over there and pick up a few needed items.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      I sent him a PM.

I take it the Lucky/Alice team is itching to make their picks?
                      Don't mean to sound impatient. Alice is gone, but left her pick with me. I was up all night, so I need to take a nap after our next two go in. No big hurry, though. These are mellow drafts.

Comment

• If you decide to nap before he picks, you can send your picks to me. I'll be sitting in front of the computer watching Neil clips on Youtube all afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          If you decide to nap before he picks, you can send your picks to me. I'll be sitting in front of the computer watching Neil clips on Youtube all afternoon.
                          I will do just that. The rack monster is calling my name.

Just sent our picks and backup picks via PM.
                          Last edited by ; 06-25-2011, 01:56 PM. Reason: confirm that picks have been sent

Comment

• 7.07 Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown (Tonight's The Night, 1975)

In college our school was up on a hill, downtown was, well, downtown. This was our Friday night theme song as we sh*t, showered and shaved for the big night ahead.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Alice selects:

7.08 I Am a Child (Buffalo Springfield's Last Time Around, 1968)

Lucky selects:

8.01 War of Man (Harvest Moon, 1992)

Foot is on the clock again.

Comment

• I love Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown! Co-written by Neil and Danny Witten, you can hear it on the 1970 CH tour -- one of those versions was used for Tonight's the Night. Witten also put it on the self-titled Crazy Horse album (without Neil) -- which is a fantastic record that you need to hear. It also has Witten's gorgeous "I Don't Want to Talk About It," which has been covered by a number of artists over the years.

War of Man was my favorite on Harvest Moon when I first got it. Love the tone of his guitar on the studio version. Was hoping it would last a while longer. Would love to hear an electric version with CH -- they could totally pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                                X