No announcement yet.

Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, here's mine. Some of you guys may think it's a dumb play. My wife sure does.

I am just fascinated with the album Time Fades Away. Neil claims it is the worst album he ever made. I have to disagree wholeheartedly, and I really don't think Neil means it. It's from a 1973 tour, which was a challenging time emotionally, psychologically and physically for Neil, and he may just not want to think about it. The music stands up, though. The album is the first of what Young Scholars sometimes call the "Ditch Trilogy", as in Neil ran off in the ditch after Harvest, which he thought put him too much in the middle of the road.

I'm fascinated for several reasons. The tour was a nightmare. 65 cites in 90 days, and big venues instead of the more intimate audience settings Neil preferred. He didn't take Old Black with him, and used a Gibson Flying V, which never gave him the sound he wanted. Danny Whitten had just died, so Neil was bummed about that. The band bitched and wanted more money. He fired the drummer half way through the tour. His voice went to sh*t, and by the end of the tour he had to get David Crosby and Graham Nash to help out with backing vocals and rhythm guitar.

The audience hated the show. Unlike the usual play-the-hits tour, the band was playing unknown material. Every song on the live album was previously unreleased.

The sound of the album is amazing...raw, unpretentious, sometimes ragged...the production people hated it, but Neil wanted it just the way it was, warts and all. It sounds like a monitor mix, or maybe the direct feed from the snake to FOH.

The songs, to my ear and mind, are very different from anything else he had done. I don't know that he did much like this afterward, either. Every time I listen to this I like it a little better.

The hardest part was picking a song from it. There are at least four that I absolutely love. I picked the one that Alice hates the most.

My pick:

10.01 Last Dance (Time Fades Away, 1973)

I love songs with a strong groove, whether jazz, blues, soul, rock or whatever. And by that I mean a steadily repeated rhythmic and musical pattern which gives the soloists a chance to really get in there and work...establishing a theme, building upon it, expanding it to the limit, turning it on its head, whatever. Cortez the Killer is such a song. Most any thing by jazz guitarist Grant Green. Whippin' Post. A lot of Miles Davis...In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, etc.

Last Dance is such a song. If you are a Clapton fan, think of "The Core" on quaaludes, and you've got the groove from "Last Dance". The grooves aren't extremely long, but they give you plenty of time to lose yourself. I've put a link to the released version. I can't find a live version. You may not like it. Erik may think I'm a philistine. I don't know. But after hearing this record, I understood a little more about the records which followed it.

Toward the end, you can hear Nash in the background. He was way too perky for this tour.

Except for the drummer, it has the exact personnel as "Are You Ready For The Country". For the tour, they called them the Stray Gators.
    Last edited by ; 06-26-2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• 10.02 Pardon My Heart (Zuma, 1975)

Another little beauty. I'm still going strong here, getting all my personal faves, with more in the pipeline.

How great is this draft? Lucky's got me going back to "Times Fades Away" now, something I dismissed from the get-go as unworthy of a re-visit.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
        10.02 Pardon My Heart (Zuma, 1975)

Another little beauty. I'm still going strong here, getting all my personal faves, with more in the pipeline.

How great is this draft? Lucky's got me going back to "Times Fades Away" now, something I dismissed from the get-go as unworthy of a re-visit.
        I can see why some people really don't like it, but sometimes I like music that is a little rough, raw, unbalanced, and not very nice. Clapton's Rainbow Concerts come to mind. There were two shows that night, which they sifted through to put together the album. A guy in Japan sent me a copy of the original tapes, each show complete and unedited. They were nowhere as smooth as the commercial release would lead you to believe.

Comment

• Lucky -- Last Dance was on my list. I love it too. I'll say more later but I'm off to bed. Back in a few hours after the baby wakes me up.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            I amazon'd it on Friday ...

Anyone got any other good Neil reading material?
            I posted this about 16 pages ago..no response..

Cool book that covers Neil Youngs songs and the stories behind the songs.

I just read this about two months ago. Head to your local public library and request it !!

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 10.03 - someday

edit to add: just got buzzed and listened to this. man, what a great f'n song.
              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• 10.04 - "Lookin' for a Love" (Zuma, 1975)

One of the happier compositions in Neil's catalog which exemplifies the optimism he shows in the lyrics - "I've been lookin' for a lover / but I haven't met her yet / she'll be nothing like I pictured her to be / In her eyes I will discover / another reason why / I want to live and make the best of what I've seen"

My favorite lyric, however, is the last part of the chorus "Lookin' for a love that's right for me / I don't know how long it's gonna be / But I hope I treat her kind / and don't mess with her mind / when she starts to see / the darker side of me" which is a poignant fear of most people.

Comment

• I'm really, really surprised that Cobain hasn't grabbed this one yet.

10.05 Change Your Mind (Sleeps with Angels, 1994)

A guitar blowout with a lot of heart. It's a lot more melodic and less frenzied than his Ragged Glory workouts, but it stands with them as his best guitar work of the era. Crazy Horse's work throughout the whole album is more subtle and nuanced than what we usually get from them, and suggest Neil has unfairly typecast them all these years as a bunch of primitives. At more than 14 minutes, it was also his longest-ever studio song until he officially released Ordinary People in 2007.

Notable are the versions he played at the 1994 Bridge School Benefit, in which he produced squalling feedback from his ACOUSTIC guitar.

Comment

• Some more running commentary:

9.07. Foot - Hold on to Your Love (Trans, 1982)

This is actually one of my least favorite songs from Trans, despite its lack of vocoders. It feels tossed off and slight, and doesn't stand out to me musically or lyrically. Of all the songs from Island in the Sun that he had to put on the shelf, why did he rescue this one?

9.08. Lucky - Are You Ready for the Country? (Harvest, 1992)

The International Harvesters did a great version of this in the '80s, as can be heard on A Treasure.

10.01. Lucky - Last Dance (Time Fades Away, 1973)

I agree with everything Lucky said about TFA. Neil has unfairly slagged this album because it resulted from a tour that was just a horrible experience for him all around. (He particularly became disillusioned after the penultimate show in Oakland, where he witnessed an exuberant fan in the front row get beaten up by a security guard during "Southern Man." He ended the song abruptly and walked offstage.) He has always felt this way -- he wouldn't even include anything from it on Decade, four years after the fact. Yet musically, the TFA songs are of a piece with the Tonight's the Night songs, and Neil has always said TTN is his FAVORITE album. So go figure.

Last Dance just kicks ass. It's cacophonous and wild, but quite compelling. The TFA version is quite different from other versions I've heard from that tour -- most of them do not have the weird rambling about orange juice and coffee, but do have Crosby and Nash singing "Come on, put on your light" over and over at the end.

10.02. Foot - Pardon My Heart (Zuma, 1975)

Gorgeous and underappreciated. The 1974 Bottom Line version is even better than the Zuma version. It's one of the few songs from his abandoned Homegrown album -- which was a song cycle about his breakup with the mother of his oldest son -- that has ever seen the light of day. (Neil intended to put out Homegrown in 1975, but shelved it in favor of Tonight's the Night, recorded two years earlier but rejected by Reprise, after he played both for party guests (including members of The Band) and they told him that TTN was much better. After the CSNY reunion tour, Neil had more clout to get TTN released.)

10.03. Cobain - Someday (Freedom, 1989)

Another from that era that sounds more like a Springsteen song than a Neil song. Great lyrics, though.

10.04. Overkill - Lookin' for a Love (Zuma, 1975)

The lyric you cited is always what has stood out to me about this one.

Comment

• Lookin' for a Love is a brilliant little track. Nice pick

10.06 Piece of Crap Sleeps With Angels 1994

Every year when I see my two young nieces opening their expensive Christmas presents, every time I walk past one of those cheap pound stores, every time I pull on a t-shirt I bought from Tesco ... this song immediately comes to mind.

Brilliant, funny, angry ... and very relevant 17 years later.

Tried to save the trees
                      Bought a platsic bag
                      The bottom fell out
                      It was a piece of crap

Saw it on the tube
                      Bought it on the phone
                      Now you're home alone
                      With a piece of crap

I tried to plug in it
                      I tried to turn it on
                      When I got it home
                      It was a piece of crap

Got it from a friend
                      On him you can depend
                      I found out in the end
                      It was a piece of crap

I'm trying to save the trees
                      I saw it on TV
                      They cut the forest down
                      To build a piece of crap

I went back to the store
                      They gave me four more
                      The guy told me at the door
                      It's a piece of crap

This clip is JAMMIN! ...

Last edited by johnnya24; 06-27-2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        He didn't take Old Black with him, and used a Gibson Flying V, which never gave him the sound he wanted.
                        Old Black was missing from 1970 to 1975 or so. He took it to a repair shop to get a new pickup put on it and the shop closed before it was done. Someone tracked it down for him a few years later. So Old Black does not appear on any recordings between Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and Zuma or any tours between CH 1970 and CH 1976.

It was interesting to see him play the Gretsch White Falcon for a lot of stuff on the 2000 tour that was recorded during the "missing" period -- Words, World on a String, Walk On, Bad Fog of Loneliness, etc. A very different vibe from what he does with Old Black on the stuff from EKTIN/Zuma/RNS/RG/etc.

Comment

• Songs by decade of release:

60s: 9
                          70s: 45
                          80s: 9
                          90s: 12
                          00s: 2
                          Unreleased: 1

Songs by album:

After the Gold Rush: 9
                          Harvest: 8
                          Rust Never Sleeps: 7
                          On the Beach: 6
                          Freedom: 6 (Cobain has most of them)
                          Harvest Moon: 6
                          Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere: 4
                          Zuma: 4
                          Ragged Glory: 4
                          Comes a Time: 3
                          Buffalo Springfield Again (BS): 2
                          Deja Vu (CSNY): 2
                          Tonight's the Night: 2
                          Hawks & Doves: 2 (Mith has both)
                          Sleeps with Angels: 2
                          Last Time Around (BS): 1
                          Neil Young: 1
                          Time Fades Away: 1
                          American Stars 'N Bars: 1
                          Trans: 1
                          Silver and Gold: 1
                          Chrome Dreams II: 1
                          other: 4

We are two songs away from completing After the Gold Rush.
                          We are two songs away from completing Harvest.
                          We are two songs away from completing On the Beach.
                          We are two songs away from completing Rust Never Sleeps.
                          We are three songs away from completing Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.
                          Last edited by Erik; 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• 10.07 Drive Back, Zuma, 1975

Some hard-rocking Neil.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 1.01. DMT - Heart of Gold (Harvest, 1972)
                              2.08. DMT - Southern Man (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              3.01. DMT - Cowgirl in the Sand (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              4.08. DMT - Ambulance Blues (On the Beach, 1974)
                              5.01. DMT - Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
                              6.08. DMT - See the Sky about to Rain (On the Beach, 1974)
                              7.01. DMT - Don't Let It Bring You Down (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              8.08. DMT - Alabama (Harvest, 1972)
                              9.01. DMT - I Believe in You (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

1.02. Mith - Powderfinger (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              2.07. Mith - Welfare Mothers (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              3.02. Mith - Love and Only Love (Ragged Glory, 1990)
                              4.07. Mith - Tonight's the Night (Tonight's the Night, 1975)
                              5.02. Mith - Hawks & Doves (Hawks & Doves, 1980)
                              6.07. Mith - Look Out for My Love (Comes a Time, 1978)
                              7.02. Mith - Dangerbird (Zuma, 1975)
                              8.07. Mith - Captain Kennedy (Hawks & Doves, 1980)
                              9.02. Mith - Days That Used to Be (Ragged Glory, 1990)
                              10.07. Mith - Drive Back (Zuma, 1975)

1.03. Johnny - Old Man (Harvest, 1972)
                              2.06. Johnny - Cinnamon Girl (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              3.03. Johnny - Only Love Can Break Your Heart (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              4.06. Johnny - Revolution Blues (On the Beach, 1974)
                              5.03. Johnny - Sugar Mountain (B-Side of "The Loner," 1968)
                              6.06. Johnny - Ordinary People (Chrome Dreams II, 2007, but written and first performed in 1988)
                              7.03. Johnny - Too Far Gone (Freedom, 1989, but written and first performed in 1976)
                              8.06. Johnny - Oh, Lonesome Me (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              9.03. Johnny - Motion Pictures (for Carrie) (On the Beach, 1974)
                              10.06. Johnny - Piece of Crap (Sleeps with Angels, 1994)

1.04. Erik - Cortez the Killer (Zuma, 1975)
                              2.05. Erik - Rockin' in the Free World (Freedom, 1989)
                              3.04. Erik - Ohio (CSNY non-album single, 1970)
                              4.05. Erik - Sedan Delivery (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              5.04. Erik - On the Beach (On the Beach, 1974)
                              6.05. Erik - Words (Between the Lines of Age) (Harvest, 1972)
                              7.04. Erik - Silver and Gold (Silver and Gold, 2000, but written in 1981 and first performed in 1984)
                              8.05. Erik - Birds (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              9.04. Erik - Pushed It Over the End (Unreleased, written and first performed in 1974)
                              10.05. Erik - Change Your Mind (Sleeps with Angels, 1994)

1.05. Overkill - Like a Hurricane (American Stars 'N Bars, 1977)
                              2.04. Overkill - Harvest Moon (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              3.05. Overkill - Broken Arrow (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
                              4.04. Overkill - Four Strong Winds (Comes a Time, 1978)
                              5.05. Overkill - My, My, Hey, Hey (Out of the Blue) (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              6.04. Overkill - Campaigner (Decade, 1977)
                              7.05. Overkill - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              8.04. Overkill - Harvest (Harvest, 1972)
                              9.05. Overkill - One of These Days (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              10.04. Overkill - Lookin' for a Love (Zuma, 1975)

1.06. Cobain - Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black) (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              2.03. Cobain - Down by the River (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              3.06. Cobain - Helpless (CSNY's Deja Vu, 1970)
                              4.03. Cobain - Thrasher (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              5.06. Cobain - Crime in the City (Sixty to Zero pt. 1) (Freedom, 1989)
                              6.03. Cobain - Unknown Legend (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              7.06. Cobain - Eldorado (Eldorado EP & Freedom, 1989)
                              8.03. Cobain - No More (Freedom, 1989)
                              9.06. Cobain - From Hank To Hendrix (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              10.03. Cobain - Someday (Freedom, 1989)

1.07. Foot - A Man Needs a Maid (Harvest, 1972)
                              2.02. Foot - Pocahontas (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              3.07. Foot - Tell Me Why (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              4.02. Foot - When You Dance I Can Really Love (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              5.07. Foot - Natural Beauty (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              6.02. Foot - The Loner (Neil Young, 1969)
                              7.07. Foot - Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown (Tonight's the Night, 1975)
                              8.02. Foot - Comes a Time (Comes a Time, 1978)
                              9.07. Foot - Hold on to Your Love (Trans, 1982)
                              10.02. Foot - Pardon My Heart (Zuma, 1975)

1.08. Lucky - After the Gold Rush (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              2.01. Lucky - The Needle and the Damage Done (Harvest, 1972)
                              3.08. Lucky - For the Turnstiles (On the Beach, 1974)
                              4.01. Lucky - F*!#in' Up (Ragged Glory, 1990, special citation for Weld, 1991)
                              5.08. Lucky - Country Girl (CSNY's Deja Vu, 1970)
                              6.01. Lucky - Love to Burn (Ragged Glory, 1990)
                              7.08. Lucky - I Am a Child (Buffalo Springfield's Last Time Around, 1968)
                              8.01. Lucky - War of Man (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              9.08. Lucky - Are You Ready for the Country? (Harvest, 1992)
                              10.01. Lucky - Last Dance (Time Fades Away, 1973)

Comment

• I will be gone the rest of the day.

I pm'ed my next pick to Erik.

Comment

Working...
                                X