Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    Yep. He also discusses the "Honey Slides" before launching into Motion Pictures at the 1974 Bottom Line gig.

That show is the only documented live performance of Motion Pictures.
    How good do you have to be to sideline a gem like that?

.... Neil Young good I guess.

I wonder if they de-glazed the pan, and created a honey slide jus?

Comment

• We're lucky that MP made it on a record at all. He was writing so fast and so well in the mid '70s -- comparable to Dylan in the mid '60s -- that he could have easily put out three albums a year.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

We're lucky that MP made it on a record at all. He was writing so fast and so well in the mid '70s -- comparable to Dylan in the mid '60s -- that he could have easily put out three albums a year.
        ... when the muse is a-callin'

Comment

• I found the the 1974 Bottom Line version of "Pushed It Over The End" tacked on to a Gillian Welch boot on which she and David Rawlings perform the songs of Neil Young and Townes Van Zandt.

Erik, it looks like a ton of the songs on Rock & Roll Cowboy were unreleased when that comp was produced. Have some/most/all of them been released now?

Comment

• Startin' to get a little thin for this casual fan...

9.05 - "One of These Days" (Harvest Moon, 1992)

Didn't hear this song until I saw the Heart of Gold documentary and it really struck a chord with me. It's got such a sweet message of longing about all his friends past and present, makes you want to call up everyone you care about and catch up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Erik, it looks like a ton of the songs on Rock & Roll Cowboy were unreleased when that comp was produced. Have some/most/all of them been released now?
              Everybody's Alone: Unreleased at the time, since released on Archives Vol. 1
              Dance Dance Dance: Neil's version unreleased at the time, since released on Archives Vol. 1, Live at Massey Hall, and maybe elsewhere.
              Sweet Joni: Still unreleased.
              Traces: Still unreleased.
              Love Art Blues: Still unreleased.
              Hawaiian Sunrise: Still unreleased.
              Stringman: Released around the time RNR Cowboy was compiled on Unplugged.
              Evening Coconut: Still unreleased.
              Give Me Strength: Still unreleased.
              Lady Wingshot: Still unreleased.
              If You Got Love: Still unreleased.
              Gonna Rock Forever: Still unreleased. I believe the actual title of this is "Rock Rock Rock."
              Amber Jean: Unreleased at the time, since released on A Treasure.
              Let Your Fingers Do the Walking: Unreleased at the time, since released on A Treasure.
              Interstate: Unreleased at the time, since released on the vinyl edition of Broken Arrow and as the B-Side of "Big Time."
              Grey Riders: Unreleased at the time, since released on A Treasure.
              Nothing Is Perfect: Unreleased at the time, since released on A Treasure.
              Bad News: Still unreleased.
              Ordinary People: Unreleased at the time, since released on Chrome Dreams II.
              Silver and Gold: Unreleased at the time, since released on Silver and Gold.
              Homefires: Still unreleased.
              Separate Ways: Still unreleased.
              Last edited by Erik; 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Did anyone shell out for Archives Vol. 1? If so, what format? Was it worth it?

I still have not gotten around to getting this, because money was tight at the time of release, I already have a lot of the stuff on it, and I don't know which format would be best.

Comment

• Apparently, Neil says Blu-ray is the only way to go. They update your content continually for free. You get MP3 downloads with all formats.

This links you to the NYA site, then go to the "Message from Neil".

Neil has always been very critical of the CD format. I guess DVD and Blu-ray don't suffer from the same lack of warmth? The music is still digitally reproduced, isn't it? So, won't it still have the truncated waves of any digital reproduction? Or has the reproduction become so precise now that it overcomes the earlier objections?

Comment

• Back when I was buying a lot of music (and trading for / dowloading lots of ROIOs), we thought the Archives would never actually be produced and released. It had been talked about since the 80's. There was even one comp which came out called "Archives Be Damned".

I pretty much dropped out of the Neil scene in the 80's (I blame Reaganomics), but when Freedom came out I was back in with a vengeance. Saw the '91 tour, bought everything through Broken Arrow, then Greendale. After Greendale, I started gigging a lot, and quit buying a lot of music.

(Odd thing...when I'm not playing a lot, I have a serious case of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome), and buy basses, cabs, heads, pedals...way more stuff than I need. As long as I am playing regularly, I don't buy anything at all except occasionally strings. Now that Robert (my son, 14) is becoming a fine young bass player, I only buy stuff for him. He doesn't know it, but he's getting a really nice bass for Christmas.)

(Another thing completely off topic, but a topic of conversation and interest around here...in a couple of weeks, Robert leaves for Vic Wooten's music camp. He is pumped like you wouldn't believe.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      (Another thing completely off topic, but a topic of conversation and interest around here...in a couple of weeks, Robert leaves for Vic Wooten's music camp. He is pumped like you wouldn't believe.)
                      Awesome!
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Yep, I have Archives Be Damned on tape and its successor, Archives Be Damned 2000, on CD.

I remember first reading about the Archives in Rolling Stone around 1987. Initially he was going to call it "Decade II." Obviously that was no longer an appropriate title at some point.

Archives Vol. 2 is going to be the crown jewel. That's gonna cover the period with his best unreleased stuff.

That's awesome about Robert. I have no musical talent of my own, so perhaps these obsessions I have is a way to make up for it. My newborn son Austin has long fingers (unlike his dad), and his mom can sing and play piano, so maybe there's some hope for the next generation.

Comment

• Neil is also one of the few artists who is successfully keeping his catalog off YouTube, as well as free mp3 sites. I mean, everything's on youTube nowadays. I'm surprised at how many of these songs can't be found in their original versions.
                          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• I'm not having too much trouble finding Neil stuff on Youtube. Now, I mostly look for live versions and rarities, but still, it's not like Neil fans have nothing for them there.

Comment

Yep, I have Archives Be Damned on tape and its successor, Archives Be Damned 2000, on CD.

I remember first reading about the Archives in Rolling Stone around 1987. Initially he was going to call it "Decade II." Obviously that was no longer an appropriate title at some point.

Archives Vol. 2 is going to be the crown jewel. That's gonna cover the period with his best unreleased stuff.

That's awesome about Robert. I have no musical talent of my own, so perhaps these obsessions I have is a way to make up for it. My newborn son Austin has long fingers (unlike his dad), and his mom can sing and play piano, so maybe there's some hope for the next generation.
                              Robert's dad has no musical talent, either. When he wanted to start playing, I taught everything I know, which took no time. We found a guy who retired as a jazz musician about an hour from here, so we took Robert over there every week for a year, and it did amazing things for him. Robert just soaks things up like a sponge. He can hear a song and tell you everything about it, including critiquing the technique of the bassist. The only bad thing is that he inherited my short fingers, but he still has amazing reach. He plays a fiver, which I just cannot manage.

This will be Vic's first camp for kids Robert's age. Alice talked to Vic's wife for a year about starting up a junior camp, and then Robert got to meet Vic when we went to see him in Dallas. Robert told him he wanted to go to his camp, but he was too young. No long after, Alice got an email from Holly saying they were going to do a junior camp and that Robert was in. I don't know if Alice's persistence had anything to do with it, but I don't think it could have hurt.

It's an interesting deal. Vic has a very holistic approach to music, and has written on the subject. This camp is a combination of music camp and nature camp. The kids will be sleeping out in tents, cooking their own food, spending time out in the wilds of Eastern Tennessee. I think it will be very good for Robert.

Special guest instructors and performers have included Stanley Clarke, Stu Hamm, Oteil Burbridge, Bela Fleck, Jeff Berlin, and many others.

Comment

• I couldn't find the original versions on YouTube for The Loner, When You Dance, Pocahontas... you gotta work a little (or buy) if you want his original stuff!

C'mon Cobain! I should just go ahead and make my pick because I'd bet a year's salary he ain't going where I'm going.. TRANS, BABY!
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X