Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    I remember reading an interview with Neil where one exchange went something like this.

Q: Is it hard to make arrangements with yourself when you're old enough to repay and young enough to sell?

A: What the hell was I saying there? I stopped playing that one live for a while because I couldn't sing that ridiculous lyric anymore.
    I'm glad I read that because I could never grasp that one either. Genesis also had an old song that went "and the changes of no consequence will pick up the reins to nowhere", and I actually used to waste brain cells trying to figure that out.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
      3.06 - helpless
      I discovered this song through Nick Cave's cover ... and that nicely ties in with the old vid I posted in the music thread earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
        3.07 Tell Me Why (After The Gold Rush, 1970)

Another summer memory, this one back to 1976... I'm 14, my cousin Randy is fresh out of law school and newly married to the lovely Sue Ellen, and they invite me to spend a week with them up at their secluded house in the woods in NW Connecticut. At some point I go through their LP collection and give 'After the Gold Rush' a try. Sue Ellen comes running in from the kitchen as 'Tell Me Why' begins, and gushes how much she loves this song, how it's been so long since she heard it, and proceeds to sing along with it like an angel.

To this day I can't hear this song without thinking about her... a beautiful, red-headed hippie-chick with freckles, straight out of Neil Young central casting. She and Randy eventually got divorced (of course), and I haven't seen her in 25 years. They're both in their 60s now, sigh.
        Nice story ... love this song also.

Comment

• Alice's pick:

3.08 For The Turnstiles (On The Beach, 1974)

Quirky as can be, but fascinating. Good baseball reference.

Alice says she is just about ready to pick up her crayons and go home because you guys keep picking the songs she wants. I told her "Welcome to the party, pal!"

Comment

• 4.01 F*!#in' Up (Weld, 1991)

The Ragged Glory version is okay, but Neil and Crazy Horse reach back and find another gear when performing this live. The Weld version is the only authorized live release I know of, so give that one a try. It was a highlight of the '91 Tour set list.

I think Foot send me his next pick, so I'll go check that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Alice's pick:

Quirky as can be, but fascinating. Good baseball reference.

Alice says she is just about ready to pick up her crayons and go home because you guys keep picking the songs she wants. I told her "Welcome to the party, pal!"
              Nice pick Alice, that was on my short list for my previous pick along with "Tell Me Why".

Comment

• Foot's Pick:

4.02 When You Dance I Can Really Love (After The Gold Rush, 1970)

Great pick, great song. Next on my list, and I almost took it at 4.01.

There's a couple of great live versions of this, but I assume Foot meant the one from ATGR. If not, he can substitute the correct album whenever he gets back.

Comment

• And no, F*!#in' Up was not the song from my second wedding.

It is, however, one of my favorites from '90s Neil. I would play that one at particularly loud volume in my dorm room -- whether the Ragged Glory version or the Weld version.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

And no, F*!#in' Up was not the song from my second wedding.

It is, however, one of my favorites from '90s Neil. I would play that one at particularly loud volume in my dorm room -- whether the Ragged Glory version or the Weld version.
                    There is something about it that makes you reach down and turn up the volume.

Comment

1.08 After The Gold Rush (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

This is Alice's first pick, and a good one, IMO.

There are some songs which, when I hear them being played, cause me to stop whatever I am doing and listen. This is one of those songs.

Neil claims he doesn't know what this song is about, but I think that is Neil being Neil. This song pulls at so many heart strings, and probably means something different to everyone who hears it. That may be why Neil didn't want to limit it to his own interpretation.

Quick story about this song - it came on the radio and my mom was displeased at the use of the phrase "and I felt like getting high". Luckily I was able to calm her nerves by telling her about his anti-drug song "Needle and the Damage Done" and the rest of the ride home was smooth.

Comment

Alice's pick:

Alice is not playing nice!

Nice pick

Comment

And no, F*!#in' Up was not the song from my second wedding.

Edit: Wouldn't it be great to do something like that ...

Erik: "for our first dance, we have chosen a Neil Young classic that means so much to both Martha and I"

Whispering guests: "I bet it's Four Strong Winds, no Harvest Moon ... got to be Heart of Gold"

"MIIIIIIINDLESS DRIFTER ON THE ROAD ... WHY DO IIIIII..."
                          Last edited by johnnya24; 06-24-2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Had that weird "what the hell is that song" deja vu type thing going on all day while listen to Mr Young ... It must have been the mix I had on repeat, but there was this melody that kept recurring ... and I couldn't place the song ... finally it came to me - Madrugada feat. Ane Brun singing Lift Me. I think it was the violin in the background.

This is a lovely little song ... some of you might dig it

Comment

• 4.03 - thrasher

So I got bored and left them there,
                              They were just deadweight to me
                              Better down the road without that load

:bag:
                              Last edited by Cobain's Ghost; 06-24-2011, 09:00 AM. Reason: typo
                              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                                4.03 - thrasher

So I got bored and left them there,
                                They were just deadweight to me
                                Better down the road without that load

that's trgiuth, crosby, stills mna dnash, he's talking abotu oyui!
                                Looks like someone's been dipping into the soju

In seriousness though, damn you. Now my 3 favorite songs off Rust Never Sleeps are gone. The whole song is full of fantastic imagery and storytelling - "They were lost in rock formations / or became park bench mutations", "It was then that I knew I'd had enough / burned my credit card for fuel", etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X