Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap!

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 8.02 Comes A Time (Comes A Time, 1978)

Tempted to go with the Live Rust version, but I'll go with the sweet original.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        Stills was a super guitarist, acoustically and electrically, and even played bass on some of their most important tunes, such as Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. He wasn't a great songwriter, but his voice fit perfectly with Crosby and Nash, and he had those great SoCal looks.
        I do think he gets short shrift on this, understandably so, because almost everything he has written since 1976 has been dreck. However, he had a pretty damn magical touch between 1967 and 1975. We already know his BS and CSNY chestnuts. But listen to his first two solo albums, the first Manassas album (a colossally underrated gem), and his 1975 solo album Stills. "Love the One You're With" is actually one of the worst songs from that bunch. You'll find gorgeous, moving ballads ("Sugar Babe," "Love Story"), asskicking rockers ("The Treasure," "Cherokee," "Old Times Good Times"), and unforgettable melodies ("My Favorite Changes," "Do for the Others," "Move Around").

Comment

• I'm about to head out for the day, who should I PM my pick to?

Comment

• You can send it to me.

Comment

• 8.03 - no more

a bleak but powerful junkie song. the album version is kind of pretty and spooky at the same time, but check out this solo acoustic version - i think this is the way it was meant to be done. would love to have heard kurt cobain play this on an acoustic guitar.

Livin' on the edge of night
              You know the sun won't go down slow
              You don't know which drug is right
              Can't decide which way you wanna go
              I feel the way you feel
              'Cause not so long ago
              It had a hold on me
              I couldn't let it go
              It wouldn't set me free
              It wouldn't set me free
              No more, no more, no more.

Seemed like the easy thing
              To let it go for one more day
              Like singin' the same old song
              And twistin' the words
              In a different way
              Where did the magic go
              I searched high and low
              I can't find it no more
              I can't get it back
              I can't find it no more
              I can't find it no more
              No more, no more, no more, no more.

Searchin' for quality
              Havin' to have the very best
              Now scroungin' for quantity
              Never havin' time
              To do the test
              That's how the story goes
              Can't put it down
              Till the last page
              I can't put it down
              I can't put it down
              I can't put it down.
              Last edited by Cobain's Ghost; 06-25-2011, 11:44 PM.
              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• I love that one in any incarnation. I get all excited when playing Freedom during the pause after Wrecking Ball because I know what's coming next.

Comment

• For overkill:

8.04 - Harvest (Harvest, 1972)

He says:

"A simple little country-tinged acoustic number with some nice pedal steel guitar. Not much else to say about this one, I just like it."

Comment

• I don't have any songs yet from After the Gold Rush, one of my favorite Neil albums. There are only two left that aren't either a) barely over one minute long or b) a cover.

8.05 Birds (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

This one is so beautiful and sad. His warbling of "it's o-o-o-ver" is one of the most heartwrenching moments you'll find in his catalog.

Comment

• 8.06 Oh, Lonesome Me After The Gold Rush, 1970

When part where he sings "... there must be some way that I can lose these lonesome blues" is pure Neil Young perfection.

Had a quick look and can't find a great clip ... so I'll go with an OK one from the tour I seen him on:

Last edited by johnnya24; 06-25-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                        8.03 - no more

a bleak but powerful junkie song. the album version is kind of pretty and spooky at the same time, but check out this solo acoustic version - i think this is the way it was meant to be done. would love to have heard kurt cobain play this on an acoustic guitar.
                        I forgot what a great song this is. Thanks for giving me a reason to spin it up again. It's powerful.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Erik;28068]For overkill:

8.04 - Harvest (Harvest, 1972)

This one's a steal this late...

Comment

• Songs by decade of release:

60s: 9
                            70s: 38
                            80s: 6
                            90s: 7
                            00s: 2

Songs by album:

After the Gold Rush: 8
                            Rust Never Sleeps: 7
                            Harvest: 6
                            On the Beach: 5
                            Freedom: 5
                            Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere: 4
                            Harvest Moon: 4
                            Comes a Time: 3
                            Ragged Glory: 3
                            Buffalo Springfield Again (BS): 2
                            Deja Vu (CSNY): 2
                            Tonight's the Night: 2
                            Zuma: 2
                            Last Time Around (BS): 1
                            Neil Young: 1
                            American Stars 'N Bars: 1
                            Hawks & Doves: 1
                            Silver and Gold: 1
                            Chrome Dreams II: 1
                            other: 3

We are two songs away from completing Rust Never Sleeps.
                            We are three songs away from completing Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.
                            We are three songs away from completing After the Gold Rush.
                            We are three songs away from completing On the Beach.

Comment

• 1.01. DMT - Heart of Gold (Harvest, 1972)
                              2.08. DMT - Southern Man (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              3.01. DMT - Cowgirl in the Sand (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              4.08. DMT - Ambulance Blues (On the Beach, 1974)
                              5.01. DMT - Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
                              6.08. DMT - See the Sky about to Rain (On the Beach, 1974)
                              7.01. DMT - Don't Let It Bring You Down (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

1.02. Mith - Powderfinger (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              2.07. Mith - Welfare Mothers (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              3.02. Mith - Love and Only Love (Ragged Glory, 1990)
                              4.07. Mith - Tonight's the Night (Tonight's the Night, 1975)
                              5.02. Mith - Hawks & Doves (Hawks & Doves, 1980)
                              6.07. Mith - Look Out for My Love (Comes a Time, 1978)
                              7.02. Mith - Dangerbird (Zuma, 1975)

1.03. Johnny - Old Man (Harvest, 1972)
                              2.06. Johnny - Cinnamon Girl (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              3.03. Johnny - Only Love Can Break Your Heart (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              4.06. Johnny - Revolution Blues (On the Beach, 1974)
                              5.03. Johnny - Sugar Mountain (B-Side of "The Loner," 1968)
                              6.06. Johnny - Ordinary People (Chrome Dreams II, 2007, but written and first performed in 1988)
                              7.03. Johnny - Too Far Gone (Freedom, 1989, but written and first performed in 1976)
                              8.06. Johnny - Oh, Lonesome Me (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

1.04. Erik - Cortez the Killer (Zuma, 1975)
                              2.05. Erik - Rockin' in the Free World (Freedom, 1989)
                              3.04. Erik - Ohio (CSNY non-album single, 1970)
                              4.05. Erik - Sedan Delivery (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              5.04. Erik - On the Beach (On the Beach, 1974)
                              6.05. Erik - Words (Between the Lines of Age) (Harvest, 1972)
                              7.04. Erik - Silver and Gold (Silver and Gold, 2000, but written in 1981 and first performed in 1984)
                              8.05. Erik - Birds (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

1.05. Overkill - Like a Hurricane (American Stars 'N Bars, 1977)
                              2.04. Overkill - Harvest Moon (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              3.05. Overkill - Broken Arrow (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
                              4.04. Overkill - Four Strong Winds (Comes a Time, 1978)
                              5.05. Overkill - My, My, Hey, Hey (Out of the Blue) (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              6.04. Overkill - Campaigner (Decade, 1977)
                              7.05. Overkill - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              8.04. Overkill - Harvest (Harvest, 1972)

1.06. Cobain - Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black) (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              2.03. Cobain - Down by the River (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
                              3.06. Cobain - Helpless (CSNY's Deja Vu, 1970)
                              4.03. Cobain - Thrasher (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              5.06. Cobain - Crime in the City (Sixty to Zero pt. 1) (Freedom, 1989)
                              6.03. Cobain - Unknown Legend (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              7.06. Cobain - Eldorado (Eldorado EP & Freedom, 1989)
                              8.03. Cobain - No More (Freedom, 1989)

1.07. Foot - A Man Needs a Maid (Harvest, 1972)
                              2.02. Foot - Pocahontas (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
                              3.07. Foot - Tell Me Why (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              4.02. Foot - When You Dance I Can Really Love (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              5.07. Foot - Natural Beauty (Harvest Moon, 1992)
                              6.02. Foot - The Loner (Neil Young, 1969)
                              7.07. Foot - Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown (Tonight's the Night, 1975)
                              8.02. Foot - Comes a Time (Comes a Time, 1978)

1.08. Lucky - After the Gold Rush (After the Gold Rush, 1970)
                              2.01. Lucky - The Needle and the Damage Done (Harvest, 1972)
                              3.08. Lucky - For the Turnstiles (On the Beach, 1974)
                              4.01. Lucky - F*!#in' Up (Ragged Glory, 1990, special citation for Weld, 1991)
                              5.08. Lucky - Country Girl (CSNY's Deja Vu, 1970)
                              6.01. Lucky - Love to Burn (Ragged Glory, 1990)
                              7.08. Lucky - I Am a Child (Buffalo Springfield's Last Time Around, 1968)
                              8.01. Lucky - War of Man (Harvest Moon, 1992)

Comment

• [QUOTE=Cobain's Ghost;28063]8.03 - no more

very cool tune..good pick..
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X