No announcement yet.

Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since Cobain stole my pick, I'll take what I thought he was gonna select.

2.05 Rockin' in the Free World (Freedom, 1989)

This song was also a very significant stop on my road to Neil fanaticism. I first encountered Neil through my parents' love of CSNY, then through their acquisition of Rust Never Sleeps. In high school in the late '80s I started adding the "big" solo albums to my collection, but ignored his current stuff (which would be rectified in later years), since he was working in genres that teenage boys don't really care about. I just wanted him to rock, man. Cut to freshman year of college, fall 1989. Season opener of Saturday Night Live, Bruce Willis is the host, Neil the musical guest. I had no idea what he was going to trot out given how all over the place his recent stuff had been, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations. Our floor had thrown a huge party the night before, and I had gotten totally wasted on whatever booze was left over. When Neil came on, he launched into this song, jumping about spazmodically onstage (he had refused to participate in camera blocking), and rocking like he hadn't rocked since Side 2 of Rust Never Sleeps, 10 years earlier. "Holy $#!t, he's back!" I slurred at the top of my lungs. His second bit (a medley of The Needle and the Damage Done and No More) was just as excellent. I was so excited that after the show I decided to call one of my high school buddies (who was still living at home) to tell him about this. Trouble was, all I had in my room was a rotary phone, and I was so hammered that I couldn't dial it properly. Sometimes I combined his number with my ex-girlfriend's; sometimes the dialing was just an abject failure on the part of my fingers. But I persisted and finally got it right after MORE THAN AN HOUR. Unfortunately, he was not amused about being woken up at 2 AM, and neither was his mom!

On a less embarrassing note, prompted by the SNL performance, I went out and bought Freedom as soon as it came out, loved the whole damn thing since he had finally decided to be NEIL again, and have not missed a new Neil album since then.

The SNL version is not on Youtube or Hulu, so I posted a version he did with Pearl Jam.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Absolutely killing me.

I think you're dead on, though, about how Freedom served to inspire those who wanted Neil you rock out again. It was a little surprising, but very gratifying, that he had not lost a step.
      Last edited by ; 06-23-2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Since Cobain stole my pick, I'll take what I thought he was gonna select.

2.05 Rockin' in the Free World (Freedom, 1989)
        "i don't feel like satan, but i am to them" - love that line.
        ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Does anyone have the Warpath recording? I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for years.

Comment

• Didn't think this would make it back ...

2.06 Cinnamon Girl Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, 1969

Comment

• Circa 1980…my buddy had an old green Chevy pickup and we would ride around for months blasting this tune. My favorite “riff” from Young. Good times.

And the lyrics are so damn insane! Welfare Mothers make better lovers!!

2.07 - Welfare Mothers, Rust never Sleeps, 1979

couldn't find a youtube clip....
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• These first 15 songs would make a killer LP, or a massive live set.

Comment

• Aargh, I wanted Welfare Mothers...

I'm surprised at a few mega-classics that still haven't been taken.
                  One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• 2.08 - Southern Man (After the Gold Rush)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 3.01 Cowgirl In the Sand (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Excellent turn there, DMT. Surprised both were still around.

Comment

• Btw, sheep won't be participating (meaning I'm about to be completely out of my element).
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Excellent turn there, DMT. Surprised both were still around.
                            Thanks...I was too, but there are several others that I was just as surprised were available (and that's after my top pick was snagged by Johnny, continuing our commitment to stealing each other's picks).
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Btw, sheep won't be participating (meaning I'm about to be completely out of my element).
                              If you get to a point where you can't think of anything, find a track list of albums with songs you like, and go Youtubing for the other songs on them to see if anything strikes you.

Comment

If you get to a point where you can't think of anything, find a track list of albums with songs you like, and go Youtubing for the other songs on them to see if anything strikes you.
                                Oh yea, I'll manage, but I won't be able to provide much commentary since a lot of these songs will be new to me. But I've already started adding stuff to my Ipod so I'm glad to participate.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X