No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started listening to these guys. New(er) band with a classic sound.

Song starts at 0:58
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The Queen/Slade influence on these English lads is really obvious here.

Song starts at 1:26

"The Struts toured extensively in England and France, and in 2014 performed for 80,000 people as the opener for The Rolling Stones in Paris. That summer, they did a 24-date tour, which included a gig at the Isle of Wight Festival. Luke Spiller wore clothing designed for him by Zandra Rhodes, who formerly dressed Freddie Mercury. The production of Rhodes' clothing for Spiller was later featured on the BBC documentary "Oh You Pretty Things: The Story of Music and Fashion".

As The Struts reputation as a live band grew, their audience increased, and their shows were frequently sold-out. Spiller's talent as a frontman was often noted by the press and reviews described him as "a force of nature" and as a "physical, mesmerising entertainer... vocally strong, expressive and blessed with excellent range". Spiller's looks and stage presence lead Roger Goodgroves of Get To The Front to describe him as "the musical love child of Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger".(source: wikipedia)
      Last edited by madducks; 03-28-2016, 03:33 PM.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I used to think they quit making them like this. The Struts are proving me wrong.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• So, Tim Curry and Pat Benatar eh? Who knew?

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The Queen sound lives on. This is one of the best debut albums that i've heard in years.

Last edited by madducks; 03-29-2016, 01:25 AM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Nice cover:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Damn, this just may be better than the studio version! Not, sure because they both sound great in their own way.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• It's so cool when one finds some new band that they instantly like. Good for you Madducks.

They don't really do much for me, but you keep rockin'.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Madducks! Thanks so much!

I hear the Queen influence in both the fashion and sound.

I'm also thinking there's a comparison to the Jets (Cold Hard Bitch & Are You Gonna Be My Girl).

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      It doesn't get much more punk than Huey Lewis and Erasure:

Hilarious! Bad wigs! Bad acting! And Tony Basil and Crowded House as PUNK!

Comment

I think they meant "Punk'd." All that's missing is Rick Astley to Rick Roll anyone who bought this.

Comment

• I still can't stop listening to Beach Slang. Here's my new favorite. Not sure if anyone cares, but I do.

They did a Tiny Desk concert, which was great. Their songs translate really well to acoustic guitar.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by griswold View Post
                            Madducks! Thanks so much!

I hear the Queen influence in both the fashion and sound.

I'm also thinking there's a comparison to the Jets (Cold Hard Bitch & Are You Gonna Be My Girl).
                            My pleasure. I had a feeling that you would like them Gris. It's been a long time since we've had a good new hair metal band. Maybe they can revive this genre of music. Hopefully, this talented band stays together and keeps writing songs.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                My pleasure. I had a feeling that you would like them Gris. It's been a long time since we've had a good new hair metal band. Maybe they can revive this genre of music. Hopefully, this talented band stays together and keeps writing songs.
                                I bought the album, "Everybody Wants" last night and burned it on a CD for my car.

Love every song so far!

Comment

Working...
                                X