Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Been listening to this playlist and nothing else for 3 or 4 days now ... love Bossa Nova. Lots of Stan Getz.

I'm digging this. Thanks Johnny.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I have been listening to a steady diet of KEXP concerts-

Some great stuff in their archives - favorites are Craig Finn - Chvrches - Head and the Heart but this one is really fascinating and different

Stromae

Comment

• Good live version of this song:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Did you know that Cast No Shadow by Oasis is about Richard Ashcroft

... bound with all the weight of all the words he tried to say

Comment

• Wow! I never realized that "Bittersweet Symphony" was sampled from this:

The Andrew Oldham Orchestra was a musical side project in the mid-1960s created by Andrew Loog Oldham, the original manager and record producer of The Rolling Stones. There was no actual orchestra per se. The name was applied to recordings made by Oldham using a multitude of session musicians, including members of the Rolling Stones.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Former Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein (died 2009), who stole their ABKCO Records royalties from the sixties also stole Richard Ashcroft's royalties from "Bittersweet Symphony".

Ashcroft sampled the Andrew Oldham Orchestra's version of the Rolling Stones song "The Last Time," the rights to which were owned by ABKCO, and included it on the Verve's 1997 album Urban Hymns. The Verve had obtained the rights to sample the recording from Decca but didn't think of getting permission from ABKCO until the album was ready for release by EMI. Realizing that he had the advantage in negotiations, Klein forced Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft to sell his rights as lyricist to ABKCO for $1,000.

Klein got Mick and Keith co-writing credits along with Ashcroft while none of the three writers make a cent off of the song! Meanwhile, Mick and Keith "sampled" the lyrics for "The Last Time" from the Staples Singers. But those lyrics are not part of the Ashcroft song.

Last edited by madducks; 02-15-2016, 01:35 AM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Former Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein (died 2009), who stole their ABKCO Records royalties from the sixties also stole Richard Ashcroft's royalties from "Bittersweet Symphony".

Ashcroft sampled the Andrew Oldham Orchestra's version of the Rolling Stones song "The Last Time," the rights to which were owned by ABKCO, and included it on the Verve's 1997 album Urban Hymns. The Verve had obtained the rights to sample the recording from Decca but didn't think of getting permission from ABKCO until the album was ready for release by EMI. Realizing that he had the advantage in negotiations, Klein forced Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft to sell his rights as lyricist to ABKCO for $1,000.

Klein got Mick and Keith co-writing credits along with Ashcroft while none of the three writers make a cent off of the song! Meanwhile, Mick and Keith "sampled" the lyrics for "The Last Time" from the Staples Singers. But those lyrics are not part of the Ashcroft song.
                What a piece of shit. I didn't actually know those details. The urban myth was that, because of the sample taken from the Stones song, that Mick Jagger made more money from the song than Richard Ashcroft or The Verve.

Comment

• Some music to get ya ready for St. Paddy's Day:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Van Morrison and the Irish Chieftans do a great version of this too.

Comment

• I always loved "Da Do Ron Ron" and especially the Carpenters version:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        I always loved "Da Do Ron Ron" and especially the Carpenters version
                        I like the version in the movie Stripes much better...lol

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Former Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein (died 2009), who stole their ABKCO Records royalties from the sixties also stole Richard Ashcroft's royalties from "Bittersweet Symphony".

I mentioned this in another thread, but ABKCO was once my client a few years back. Great offices, with all their gold records hanging on the wall. One I remember distinctly among the oldies was "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve, which I thought was strange considering the age of all their other records, but then looked up and saw ABKCO sued them for plagiarizing the Stones.

Comment

• Animation so beautiful you don't even need the sound.

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• A song about hangovers seems appropriate for a Monday morning.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• How about some roots/americana drinking music
                                Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats

https://[URL="https://www.youtube.co...[/URL]

they also do great cover versions of songs by The Band

Comment

Working...
                                X