Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Heh. So I was playing poker last night in my bar poker league, and somebody played this piece of crap on the jukebox:

(Listen to it all the way through, I dare you)

Somebody plays it every week. It makes my skin crawl. So I popped on my headphones to drown it out, and the pickup-truck-full of sh!tty, brain-dead, jingoistic, redneck pop country drivel that was sure to follow.

The dude next to me says "Don't you like country music?"

"No, I'm not a fan."

"Well, what are you listening to?"

"The Old 97's." It just so happened that the song playing in my random shuffle was Salome:

"What's that? Can I hear it?"

You can see where this was going. I let him put on my headphones. And then tried (and failed) for the next 15 minutes to explain the difference between The Old 97's and that horrible Chicken Fried song on the jukebox. And very delicately, so as not to offend him or any other country music fans at the table, because, believe it or not, I am impeccably polite in real life.

It was brutal exercise in futility. And a good reminder to pretend that I can't hear people once I pop the headphones on.
    "Chicken Fried" - typical country..depending on my mood i could slightly enjoy it once or twice or think it is crap.

"Salome" is ok. nice and laid back if you dig that sort of music.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Great song. Ok video..
      It's a brilliant video, especially if you understand the Replacements. It's a total FU to the music industry. Something they did at every step of the way. They were given $30,000 to make a video and that is what they came up with. One has to wonder were the other $29,000 went, some say up their noses.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        It's a brilliant video, especially if you understand the Replacements. It's a total FU to the music industry. Something they did at every step of the way. They were given $30,000 to make a video and that is what they came up with. One has to wonder were the other $29,000 went, some say up their noses.
        Then why make a video at all? To pocket the cash? i could see that. Seems like a total FU would be to not even make a video.

The music industry made them lots of cash too.

I am certainly no fan of the sleazy world that is the music industry, but music seemed to be a whole lot better when the big bad music industry was running the show than it is now that anything goes.

Maybe less was better?
        Last edited by Mithrandir; 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Then why make a video at all? To pocket the cash? i could see that. Seems like a total FU would be to not even make a video.

The music industry made them lots of cash too.

I am certainly no fan of the sleazy world that is the music industry, but music seemed to be a whole lot better when the big bad music industry was running the show than it is now that anything goes.

Maybe less was better?
          I assume they were contractually obligated to release a video. Though I bet they also thought it would be funnier to make this video instead of refusing to make a video.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Um, yeah, I'll take the naked lady dancing around covered in oil.
            I actually didn't watch the video, but now I have to. I've just always loved that Replacements video for the story behind it.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I assume they were contractually obligated to release a video. Though I bet they also thought it would be funnier to make this video instead of refusing to make a video.
              I could see that and agree with it!

Comment

• Now THIS is a drum solo:

Comment

Last night I saw a 51 year old man rock harder than any of the youts of today in their wimpy lame bands. It was pretty awesome.

I'm going tomorrow to see him at the Fillmore!
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• This is still my favorite video of all time

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Saw Wilco last night and they absolutely crushed it. This was their opener.

Here are a couple from their newest album.

And a few more because they kick ass.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        That's how the Old 97s did 'Too Far to Care'.
                        just found out my work is having the Old 97s play our event

here's the rest of the lineup, http://www.oracle.com/events/us/en/m...val/index.html

Comment

• OK - Because I am a hip old jewish guy
                          Beastie Boys is a favorite - basically because if you put me in track suit you could convince people I am one
                          Wilco - all old hip guys like Wilco

But my current fave is Ben Howard

first clip - turn a pop song creepy - my students were confused, upset, and amused by it - and then thought he was kind of dreamy

Comment

• why can I only post one video?

Ben Howard
                            second clip
                            some serious acoustic guitar work here

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Saw Wilco last night and they absolutely crushed it. This was their opener.

And a few more because they kick ass.

Jesus etc is a damn near perfect mid-tempo track. I can stick that track on repeat for ages and not get bored. There are a few similar Teenage Fanclub and Belle and Sebastian songs I can do the same with.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                Ben Howard
                                second clip
                                some serious acoustic guitar work here
                                If you like acoustic stuff ... Jake Bugg's debut is out next month ... this kid is going to be huge.

Comment

Working...
                                X