Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    despite being a fan for 20 years, I'd be hard pressed to name the members off the top of my head.
    The three singer-songwriters are easy: Norman Blake, Gerard Love, and Raymond McGinley.

But they've had a revolving door at drummer, and in recent years they've added a keyboardist, and I couldn't tell you who holds those slots now.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Word.

Bandwagonesque is still my favorite, though.
      Hey, we've got four declared fans! Two more and we can do a song draft!

Comment

• Glad to see some Fannies here. Such a great band that I got into much later. In college there was this guy that I hated that always had a Fanclub shirt on. He was a bit of a hippie so I just assumed I wouldn't like them. Plus, at the time I was into tons of punk rock so I just ignored them. Now that I'm older and mellowed out I love them.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• A high school buddy turned me on to A Catholic Education and Bandwagonesque in 1992. Even though they were so different from each other, I loved them both. Fell away in the late '90s/early '00s when their new albums weren't being released here (or would only show up years later). Returned in 2005 when Man-Made was released to great reviews -- and made immediately available in the States. Saw them live in 1994 (Yo La Tengo opened and were terrible), 2005 and 2010.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            A high school buddy turned me on to A Catholic Education and Bandwagonesque in 1992. Even though they were so different from each other, I loved them both. Fell away in the late '90s/early '00s when their new albums weren't being released here (or would only show up years later). Returned in 2005 when Man-Made was released to great reviews -- and made immediately available in the States. Saw them live in 1994 (Yo La Tengo opened and were terrible), 2005 and 2010.
            Saw them once live in London and twice at festivals. The London show was terrific because it didn't sell out in like 5 minutes like all other London shows ... so you didn't get a dead last minute eBay London hipster crowd.

The two festivals slots were a classic example of the position of the band: important enough to get on the main stage, but not popular enough to get a later slot ... so they were kind of dead gigs. The afternoon main stage slots can be like graveyards ... I tend(ed) only go to the tent stages in the afternoons. Would have preferred that they headlined a smaller stage ... they would have been great gigs ... shame.

Comment

• Speaking of loud Teenage Fanclub at festivals:

Comment

• Teenage Fanclub make it in the movies!

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Teenage Fanclub make it in the movies!

that was a wretched movie (but my friend played a random mom in it)

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    that was a wretched movie (but my friend played a random mom in it)
                    I thought it was good, maybe it was the Teenage Fanclub part that made me like it.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      I thought it was good, maybe it was the Teenage Fanclub part that made me like it.
                      I watched it on the plane back from Amsterdam, right after seeing Charlize in "Snow White and the Huntsman", I thought she and Patton Oswalt were great in it.....it really resonated with me because I've had a crazy ex-girlfriend try to break up my marriage
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• There was a thread on the old site about my friend that was killed in Chicago by a woman trying to commit suicide (she lived of course). Well that was seven years ago today. Here he is in his band. I still miss you Johnny.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• "here's to the working class ... rocking sh!t up your a$$"

Comment

• Great record ... tunes from Siamese Dream have been popping up a lot lately on my iPood. Still sounds like nothing else.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              New Baroness album out....I'm stoked.

I like the byline at the bottom that says, "one of the new millenium's most revered bands"...revered by whom?

and the song is meh. i found it boring.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Metal GaGa:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X