Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    I was no implying that. I don't see how anyone can like her but I do realize that everyone has different tastes in music.
    OK Cool.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      The RJ Hall of Musical Exceelence would be full of classic rockers (the old guy RJ vote) and mediocre newer alt bands. The Old 97s would get a golden plaque or something, lol.
      The most fun draft was the Soul/Funk/R&B Draft.

Comment

• KISS!!!! Love me some Ace Frehley.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• SHE! Just some kick ass rock and roll.

Comment

• Nice little article by Billy Bragg about Woody Guthrie

Billy Bragg: Woody Guthrie was shunned by his home state. Now Oklahoma can finally embrace the singer-songwriter's work

"This land was made for you and me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              KISS!!!! Love me some Ace Frehley.

Kiss suck and everyone who likes Kiss suck. Just kidding! I love Kiss and this is one of the best songs, Ace was by far the best member of Kiss.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Any Fannies out there? This is what pop music should sound like.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• They never got the headline attention they deserved ... still making great tunes long after their early 90's peers had faded away

Comment

• I figured you'd like them johnny. That song is fantastic. Grand Prix is about as perfect as an album can get. They never did get the attention, I think it's cause they were never hard enough to really catch on in the States. But damn, they could write a pop song.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Audio is NSFW

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        for what it's worth, Katy Perry, Pink and Lady Gaga are the transitional music that has gotten my 9 and 11 year old off of the Disney crap
                        I would much rather listen to Disney crap than Katy Perry.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I LOVE Teenage Fanclub.

With the exception of Howdy (and The King, a toss-off contractual obligation thing that was deleted on its release day), all of their records are brilliant.

They have toured the States upon the release of each of their last two albums, so they're not totally forgotten here.

Comment

They never did get the attention, I think it's cause they were never hard enough to really catch on in the States
                            Funny thing is, their first album, A Catholic Education, IS hard -- but it came out in 1989, two years before that kind of thing was commercially viable here. They became Big Star acolytes in 1991 and have stayed on that path, more or less.

Comment

I figured you'd like them johnny. That song is fantastic. Grand Prix is about as perfect as an album can get. They never did get the attention, I think it's cause they were never hard enough to really catch on in the States. But damn, they could write a pop song.
                              Also they never sought the limelight. When guitar music was booming in the mid-90's, they didn't appear on the crappy TV shows, they did go after celebrity, they just kept on working. The records were always highly regarded :

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/1991.html - Bandwagonesque #2 ... behind Nevermind ... NME was a bit of a joke at this time with regards certain American bands who didn't fit their indie-aesthetic ... i.e. Pearl Jam's Ten didn't make the top 50 records of 1991 ... 20 years later they are selling out 50-80K venues in the UK while all the bands they championed faded into the obscurity from which they should never have been dragged in the first place.

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/1995.html - Grand Prix #5 ... behind Tricky (?????) ... which basically an album of samples from Massive Attack tracks he had "sang" on ... and the "awful" Black Grape ... classic example of celebrity winning out over quality.

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/1997.html - Song From Northern Britain #8 ... Spiritualized finished top that year with the excellent "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"

... but even now ... despite being a fan for 20 years, I'd be hard pressed to name the members off the top of my head. I'll recognize them if you tell me ... but that's it.

Last edited by johnnya24; 07-13-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                I LOVE Teenage Fanclub.
                                Word.

Bandwagonesque is still my favorite, though.
                                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                                X