No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a big fan of Metric for a while and I've always enjoyed Royksopp. Thanks Johnny

Comment

• Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
      Been a big fan of Metric for a while and I've always enjoyed Royksopp. Thanks Johnny
      I also thought djbeasties might appreciate the photo on the Royksopp video

Emily Haines should be a lot more famous than she is. She is one of the most whip smart lyricists around, and not bad on the eyes either ... those legs ... damn ... they go on forever.

Last edited by johnnya24; 05-03-2012, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• Love me some dance music and groovy pop music. Let's see if ONE person on this site likes any of these songs....

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• That Kelly Clarkson song has a good hook that they used in the Toyota commercial with Chris Berman, but the entire song doesn't hold up well IMO. I'll give those other two a listen tomorrow but the one Nikki Minaj song I've heard (no idea if it's this one or another) was so awful I couldn't make it through to the end.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            That Kelly Clarkson song has a good hook that they used in the Toyota commercial with Chris Berman, but the entire song doesn't hold up well IMO. I'll give those other two a listen tomorrow but the one Nikki Minaj song I've heard (no idea if it's this one or another) was so awful I couldn't make it through to the end.
            Yeah i think i know the Minaj song you are referring to..that's why i was shocked when i loved "Turn Me On"
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I effing love this.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Hate Usher ... perfect example of modern RnBore. There is some good RnB out there, but it's not really being done by the mainstream of RnB artists.

Kelly Clarkson has some good power pop tunes that really suit her voice ... and she seems like a really nice down to earth person.

Nicki Minja = famous / Janelle Monae = relatively unknown ... that says everything about the state of modern RnB. Janelle Monae is one of the finest artists I've heard in any genre for 10 years, and she doesn't get the recognition she deserves. The ArchAndroid is a modern masterpiece and one of the best all round records of the last 10/15 years.

Last edited by johnnya24; 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  I effing love this.
                  Me too. That album kicks serious ass.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Me too. That album kicks serious ass.
                    Listened to El Camino a couple of times when it first came out and thought ... "damn fine record", and then I've barely listened to it since. Exactly the same with Jack White's Blunderbuss, which was also exceelent. Need to get them both on my iDevice ... but that means plugging it into my PC, which means I have to re-install my PC's USB Wifi drivers manually because Apple's drivers somehow override them ... grrrrrrrr

Comment

• Been listening to the Damned a lot lately. Had their "Grimly Fiendish" poster on my wall all through my teen years.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        I am finally an old man. I just discovered Dubstep and hate it so much that I want to search out kids with emo haircuts and punch them in their smug little faces. I think Don Quixote and I need to bro down about the good ol' days or something. You guys heard Skrillex? Just awful stuff. His old band, From First to Last, is equally terrible but in a whole different genre of new crappy music.
                        New music sucks. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it.

The Damned, Steve, are great. Listening to Machine Gun Etiquette now thanks to you.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          I am finally an old man. I just discovered Dubstep and hate it so much that I want to search out kids with emo haircuts and punch them in their smug little faces. I think Don Quixote and I need to bro down about the good ol' days or something. You guys heard Skrillex? Just awful stuff. His old band, From First to Last, is equally terrible but in a whole different genre of new crappy music.
                          Skrillex are horrible. Absolute garbage. It's unfair to even call that stuff Dubstep. It's a bit like saying the Beatles must suck because you heard New Kids On The Block. Some of the old school electronica Dubstep from the early / mid 2000's is great ... if you like electronic music that is. If you don't, give Dubstep a wide berth. The really good stuff has more in common with Massive Attack / recent Radiohead than Skrillex ... who has more in common with ****ing Aqua and crappy commercial dance music.

You will all hate this

I have a lot of the more ambient stuff ...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post

Are these supposed to be the horrible garbage or the really good stuff?

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              Are these supposed to be the horrible garbage or the really good stuff?

I used to go to a lot of Drum and Bass clubs back in the early 2000's ... I'm much more conditioned into the music. If you're new to electronic music, this will probably be torture

I couldn't find the older stuff I had on my PC ... those are two names I recognized. For a genre that 99% of people have never even heard off, there is a sh!t load of stuff out there.

But the "Dubstep" the kids are listening to today isn't Dubstep.

Comment

• Has there been a record that was misunderstood as much upon release that has since aged so well as Sandinista? (Yes, some of it is complete crap, but the 75% or so that is not has stood the test of time almost as well as London Calling.)

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X