No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that Steel Wheels one reminds me a bit of Punch Brothers, which i've been enjoying lately.

Edit to fix my failed video inclusion
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• I've got a ticket to see Heartless Bastards later this month in Philly. My friend gave me a disk that i've been listening to, but I really don't know much about the band.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Hoping to see Alabama Shakes at SXSW...but I fear the may be the 'trendy new band' that everyone flocks to see (which means I wouldn't since I won't have a wrist band).
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• i've been channeling my college punk days a bit lately...

ETA: and another album i've been listening to. yes, i have the *album*!

Last edited by bryanbutler; 02-19-2012, 04:36 AM.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Logged into my YouTube account for the first time in years ... on an Oasis nostalgia trip ... for a few of years in the 90's they were a force of nature. The b-sides and the export tracks were usually better than the main album cuts. Sadly never saw them live ... and was never interested in seeing them after the original lineup broke up ... they were a touring joke/session band from about 1998 onward. I reckon they lost all their primitive drive when Bonehead (rhythm guitar) and Guigsy (who played bass mostly on one string) quit ... or were booted out depending on who you believe. Straight ahead Zeppelin/Pistols inspired rock music with some great zeitgeisty lyrics.

Noel Gallagher is a clever SOB ... he convinced everyone they were ripping off The Beatles, when the much greater influences were Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols, The Rolling Stones, Slade etc

Best era for rock music apart from the late 60's / early 70's: Oasis, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Blur, Radiohead, Manics, Chili Peppers, Pulp, Pumpkins, RATM, Alice, Pixies, REM ... and many others ... good times.

Comment

• I love the original version of this song, so I was very pleasantly surprised to hear it covered on the amazing Killdozer album "For Ladies Only".

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                Best era for rock music apart from the late 60's / early 70's: Oasis, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Blur, Radiohead, Manics, Chili Peppers, Pulp, Pumpkins, RATM, Alice, Pixies, REM ... and many others ... good times.
                No doubt - 1988-1996 was a golden age for music fans. And there's so much great lost music from that era from bands that didn't make it big, artists that I never would have heard had I not been working in the biz at that time. Case in point: The Violet Burning. I plucked this out of my collection a few years ago, and haven't been able to stop listening to it since. Great stuff...

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• All reviews should be like this ... hilarious

"... this is the job I've always wanted ... I'm stuck with very a little wage and no prospects ... so it's absolutely perfect for my lifestyle of going nowhere"

"Fat people shouldn't make music really, I hate fat people doing anything artistic ... it shouldn't be allowed ... so yeah, fu*k 'em."

Comment

• In the late 70's-early 80's Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe made some great rock and roll tunes. If you ain't rocking to these, what's wrong with you?

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      In the late 70's-early 80's Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe made some great rock and roll tunes. If you ain't rocking to these, what's wrong with you?
                      apparently something is wrong with me, because i found these pretty boring. but you probably hate my selections so there is some parity .

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                        apparently something is wrong with me, because i found these pretty boring. but you probably hate my selections so there is some parity .
                        Punch Brothers - damn good

Minor Threat is cool as is the D.I. song.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

In the late 70's-early 80's Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe made some great rock and roll tunes. If you ain't rocking to these, what's wrong with you?
                          It's cabaret night in the Sports Bar!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            It's cabaret night in the Sports Bar!
                            You don't like good old fashioned rock and roll? You don't like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, etc??

I didn't realize the extent that listening to the music of the 1990's and 2000's ruined people's tastes

Comment

You don't like good old fashioned rock and roll? You don't like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, etc??

I didn't realize the extent that listening to the music of the 1990's and 2000's ruined people's tastes
                              It's all great stuff ... but I've grown up associating a lot of this music with cheesy cabaret singers and aging country and western cover singers with Casio keyboard's. Love watching clips of the originals ... cover bands and tribute bands ... not so much.

Comment

Brinsley Scharz are great too. Nick Lowe's band before he went off on his own. No time to post a song.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X