X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple slower tunes I've been digging lately:

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      I'm curious if there is anyone around here who hasn't heard this yet? I ask b/c I just heard it for the first time a few days ago (on the local community radio station during a Latin show of all places), but apparently it's everywhere.

never heard it before. I know Adele is outrageously popular, but i never heard her before.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'm curious if there is anyone around here who hasn't heard this yet? I ask b/c I just heard it for the first time a few days ago (on the local community radio station during a Latin show of all places), but apparently it's everywhere.

I guess someone hasn't been in a shop, bar, car (with radio on) or walked up a street in the last 6 months

Comment

• I just really enjoyed Lucky's son Robert playing his bass in another thread.

Check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

Here is a very low budget but amusing cover of it
            i'm a big fan of MGMT. good ****, maynard...
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• This is the Ferocious Few, a local SF band that sounds like Link Wray meets Stan Ridgeway

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Thoughts on Lana Del Rey? I'm a big Throwing Muses / Kristen Hersh fan ... and I hear some serious influences here (along with Kate Bush, Cat Power ...).

Comment

• Who's up for some Russian music? Russian Pagan metal! Yes, that is the girl singing the death growl.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• johnny: I'll have to check out this lovely lady's album. I dig "video games" on first listen.

I've been into some pretty wildly different things these days. Top 3:

Tyler, The Creator - essentially, his album Goblin is shock rap. It's about killing women, or killing anybody really. I couldn't get into it many months back, but I'm loving it right now. This track is super chill, and I think the clips from City Of God fit really well:

Bruce Springsteen - I'm almost 29 years old and I've finally discovered the amazingness of the boss. Darkness On The Edge Of Town is a masterpiece. Perfection. Check out this old dude still bringing it:

Drake - I liked his last album, but didn't rush to give this one a listen. Just went through it today at work and I think it's pretty great. Like Kanye, he raps about drunk driving, which drives me nuts... but I guess it makes sense in the context of the album. In both cases, it's partially about being famous and being able to get away with anything, and also an easy metaphor for being out of control, drunk on success, etc etc etc... I just wish I didn't have to think about some of the idiots that it could possibly influence.

This isn't the catchiest song on the album, I just think it's really funny:

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      johnny: I'll have to check out this lovely lady's album. I dig "video games" on first listen.

Bruce Springsteen - I'm almost 29 years old and I've finally discovered the amazingness of the boss. Darkness On The Edge Of Town is a masterpiece. Perfection. Check out this old dude still bringing it:
                      Video games is kinda Beatle-y in the chorus ... in a good way. edit: she has a real chameleon of a voice ... I was re-listening to both tracks again, and I couldn't hear the influences in the second song that I heard in the first.

If you like Darkness on the Edge Of Town, also check out The Promise, which is a double CD compilation (with DVD) of alternative takes and unreleased songs from the Darkness sessions. The version of Racing In The Street is brilliant.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• The new Black Keys kicks ass.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Cheapest video ever? Brothers was one of my favorite records of last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            Cheapest video ever? Brothers was one of my favorite records of last year.
                            Cheapest video ever...Bastards of Young by The Replacements.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The new Black Keys kicks ass.

Too funny, I heard this song for the first time today on my drive into work, and liked it a lot...
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                                Cheapest video ever...Bastards of Young by The Replacements.
                                Someone clearly had to expend effort in pressing the zoom-out button

Comment

Working...
                                X