Bob Dylan song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Not sure why you'd say that, my pick was on his greatest hits vol. 3 and there are a couple other songs from Street Legal worth rostering IMO.
    Gotta Serve Somebody was on Greatest Hits Volume 3, too. Woof... fft2:
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• GHV3 consists of one song from every album since Blood on the Tracks (except Saved). So that doesn't mean anything.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        Gotta Serve Somebody was on Greatest Hits Volume 3, too. Woof... fft2:
        I think you might have offended Gregg, he was onsite but didn't pick.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          GHV3 consists of one song from every album since Blood on the Tracks (except Saved). So that doesn't mean anything.
          Good point, but I still maintain there are a few good songs on Street Legal worth picking.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I didn't say there weren't. But it's one of his albums that doesn't have any stone-cold locks for this draft.

Comment

• Had to take a business call.

7.05- Gotta Serve Somebody

I am not offended. This song may of made it to the end but I want it on my list. Looking at all that have been picked this pick is about where it should be. I have one that would have gone before this one, but I expect it will be waiting for me on my next pick or two. Besides any song with R.J. in it is a natural for us sentimentalists.

You may be an ambassador to England or France
              You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
              You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
              You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls.

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
              You're gonna have to serve somebody,
              It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
              But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

Might be a rock'n' roll adict prancing on the stage
              Might have money and drugs at your commands, women in a cage
              You may be a business man or some high degree thief
              They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief.

Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord

You may be a state trooper, you might be an young turk
              You may be the head of some big TV network
              You may be rich or poor, you may be blind or lame
              You may be living in another country under another name.

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes

You may be a construction worker working on a home
              You may be living in a mansion or you might live in a dome
              You might own guns and you might even own tanks
              You might be somebody's landlord you might even own banks.

You may be a preacher with your spiritual pride
              You may be a city councilman taking bribes on the side
              You may be working in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair
              You may be somebody's mistress, may be somebody's heir.

Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk
              Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk
              You might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread
              You may be sleeping on the floor, sleeping in a king-sized bed.

It may be the devil or it may be the Lord

You may call me Terry, you may call me Jimmy
              You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
              You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray
              You may call me anything but no matter what you say.

You're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
              But you're gonna have to serve somebody

Comment

• The question was not whether Gregg was going to be the first one to take a song from one of his born-again albums, but rather when and which one!

Dylan wanted those albums to be popular, so rabid was he about spreading The Word, that he agreed to use contemporary production on them and hired major talents like Mark Knopfler to play on them. But his core audience wasn't ready for it -- which was not the first nor last time that happened in his career.

Comment

• Haha, called it!
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Had to take a business call.

7.05- Gotta Serve Somebody
                    I think this is a fine pick, and would not have lasted much longer. It was on my short list for 7.07/8.01.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Haha, called it!
                      How could I not.

Besides any song with R.J. in it is a natural for us sentimentalists.

Comment

The question was not whether Gregg was going to be the first one to take a song from one of his born-again albums, but rather when and which one!

Dylan wanted those albums to be popular, so rabid was he about spreading The Word, that he agreed to use contemporary production on them and hired major talents like Mark Knopfler to play on them. But his core audience wasn't ready for it -- which was not the first nor last time that happened in his career.
                        OK, I don't want to pee in anybody's Cheerios, so if you like Gotta Serve Somebody, please stop reading this post.

Now.

Really, I mean it.

Last chance!

OK, you were warned...

I will never be ready for a Bob Dylan reduced to witless sermonizing and riffing on brain-dead pop culture fodder like that abominable "You can call me Ray/ You can call me Jay" bit. I don't think audience readiness is the issue here - I don't blame anyone for absolutely dying on the inside when they hear the greatest lyricist of the rock generation reduced to completely uninspired fourth-rate parody of Dr. Seuss. The Christain subject matter isn't the issue - these lyrics are puerile drivel! There's no artistry here whatsoever. These words have no intelligible coherence - there's no reason to even put them together in a song aside from the fact that they rhyme! This half-assed preaching is the absolute nadir of Bob Dylan's career. If I was in charge of his legacy, I would devote every resource to completely obliterating any reference to this song from the public consciousness.

:explode::explode::explode::explode:

We now return you to your Bob Dylan Song Draft, already in progress...
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• So you're saying it wasn't on your list for your next pick?

Comment

The question was not whether Gregg was going to be the first one to take a song from one of his born-again albums, but rather when and which one!

Would it surprise you to know that I do not own any of his Born Again albums?

If we are making a complete list of Bob Dylan's historical significance; shouldn't there be at least one song from them?

Added that this is the first song to win Bob a Grammy of any kind (much less Best Male Vocal Performance).

With these facts I think a good case could be made that this is the sleeper pick of the draft so far.

Comment

• I actually have one song from the born-again albums on my list of consideration, and it wasn't that one.

Grammys are weird -- often they are awarded to someone many years after their best accomplishments. See also Eric Clapton, Steely Dan and Santana.

Comment

I actually have one song from the born-again albums on my list of consideration, and it wasn't that one.

Grammys are weird -- often they are awarded to someone many years after their best accomplishments. See also Eric Clapton, Steely Dan and Santana.
                                Don't forget Jethro Tull! :bang:

Grammy awards are to musical artistry as ravens are to writing desks.

Comment

Working...
                                X