Best album covers draft - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    First Led Zep cover doesn't go until the end of round 2. We're evolving guys. Proud of you guys. *wipesatear*

More surprising given that they have some great covers.
    It is an album cover draft we don't get the music that was in them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      It is an album cover draft we don't get the music that was in them.
      Troll successful :

The defense of classic rock begins.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        Not sure how Who's Next will be received, I know it's a classic album and I like the cover but I have no idea whether it's considered a classic cover or not.
        I read that some members of the band were unable to urinate sufficiently on the spur of the moment, so they had fake some of the wet spots. Pretty funny, if true.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• sheep
          that Black Crowes album was actually on my list too

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
            sheep
            that Black Crowes album was actually on my list too
            First banned cover of the draft. W00t!

“It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.” ~ David St. Hubbins
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• My actual pick for #2 (combo NSFW, Iconic, WTF) was not only banned but still too pervy to post.

What's wrong with a little unruly pubic hair?
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Btw, the London Calling cover is likely a play off another which I won't post in case someone is planning to pick it.
                Eh, you kind of need to explain the reference to the original cover to get why this cover is interesting. I doubt anybody's draft is going to be ruined if someone else takes their Elvis Presley cover.

On the surface, this message appears to be pretty simple: This is punk rock destroying Elvis, and by extension, all stale old classic rock and the critics and fans still clinging to it. The mainstream interpretation doesn't make much sense, though. By the end of 1979, punk rock was already nearing the end of its brief lifespan, wrecked by all the trappings of classic rock culture that it had set out to destroy three years earlier. The Clash were ready to move on from that scene, as evidenced by the music inside the sleeve - London Calling wasn't just a step away from three chord guitar-bass-and-drums punk rock, it was a wormhole leap that deposited them in a whole different musical galaxy. So, I don't think the cover represents punk rock burying Elvis and classic rock. I think it's The Clash burying punk rock.

I have no idea if this is true. I've never bothered to read what the band has to say about it. If you know otherwise, don't tell me, I like my interpretation better.

Edit to add: I'm not an Elvis Presley fan, but that is unironically a pretty great album cover in its own right.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  Eh, you kind of need to explain the reference to the original cover to get why this cover is interesting. I doubt anybody's draft is going to be ruined if someone else takes their Elvis Presley cover.

On the surface, this message appears to be pretty simple: This is punk rock destroying Elvis, and by extension, all stale old classic rock and the critics and fans still clinging to it. The mainstream interpretation doesn't make much sense, though. By the end of 1979, punk rock was already nearing the end of its brief lifespan, wrecked by all the trappings of classic rock culture that it had set out to destroy three years earlier. The Clash were ready to move on from that scene, as evidenced by the music inside the sleeve - London Calling wasn't just a step away from three chord guitar-bass-and-drums punk rock, it was a wormhole leap that deposited them in a whole different musical galaxy. So, I don't think the cover represents punk rock burying Elvis and classic rock. I think it's The Clash burying punk rock.

I have no idea if this is true. I've never bothered to read what the band has to say about it. If you know otherwise, don't tell me, I like my interpretation better.

Edit to add: I'm not an Elvis Presley fan, but that is unironically a pretty great album cover in its own right.
                  Bold man!
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                    Go forth and seek out the two virgins. The answer to your question will be revealed. Fully.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      First Led Zep cover doesn't go until the end of round 2.
                      I found it interesting that revo declared the first Zeppelin album to be musically disastrous.

Comment

My actual pick for #2 (combo NSFW, Iconic, WTF) was not only banned but still too pervy to post.

I wonder if we're thinking of the same one because I've debated whether to post it.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          I wonder if we're thinking of the same one because I've debated whether to post it.
                          Sure we are. We probably wouldn't have worried about it a few years ago, but with today's heightened sensibilities...
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                            I found it interesting that revo declared the first Zeppelin album to be musically disastrous.
                            LOL - explosive!

Comment

Sure we are. We probably wouldn't have worried about it a few years ago, but with today's heightened sensibilities...
                              I don't know, I would have debated posting this one any time.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

I have faith that we'd all turn a blind eye to it for the purposes of this draft.

(?)

Comment

Working...
                                X